Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

temporary clerical officer 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭furrybones

Sorry guys, a little off topic, but was just wondering if there will be permanent clerical officer campaign this year too?

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭cvb03

furrybones wrote: »
    That sounds a lot more daunting that I had imagined it was going to be :/

Yes it does:( I am hoping if you have already successfully completed TCO positions before, the interview should be straight forward enough. It is a bit intense having two people interviewing us if we have already been successful TCO candidates previously.

I know I am jumping ahead but if I was unsuccessful in the interview after previously been a successful TCO, I would be questioning them on how was I good enough previously but not now. The old interview they just checked you basically were not a robot that filled out the aptitude test, it was extremely straight forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Sorry guys, a little off topic, but was just wondering if there will be permanent clerical officer campaign this year too?

The CO & EO campaigns are two year panels.

There is a CO (Dublin only) campaign due in the coming weeks but nationwide (excluding dublin) was ran last June/July. It wont be ran again until 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭HANDA

@cvb03
    The interviewers are only dealing what is in front of them. You may use your previous experience as a TCO to set out your competencies. It doesn't matter if your references are excellent at interview stage. If you fail one competency you fail the interview. You can ask for feedback.

The CO & EO campaigns are two year panels.

There is a CO (Dublin only) campaign due in the coming weeks but nationwide (excluding dublin) was ran last June/July. It wont be ran again until 2020.

Thanks for the reply. I should have hung out on Boards a bit sooner. :rolleyes:

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

cvb03 wrote: »
    Yes it does:( I am hoping if you have already successfully completed TCO positions before, the interview should be straight forward enough. It is a bit intense having two people interviewing us if we have already been successful TCO candidates previously.

I know I am jumping ahead but if I was unsuccessful in the interview after previously been a successful TCO, I would be questioning them on how was I good enough previously but not now. The old interview they just checked you basically were not a robot that filled out the aptitude test, it was extremely straight forward.

I think your overthinking it. Last year might have felt like a box ticking exercise but in fact in the pre-interview booklet it stated 4 competencies and people were marked accordingly. Sure your OOM didn't change but you did have to pass the competencies to get through.

This year you have two interviewer so its verified & they can justify moving the OOM up if your exceptional good or down if exceptional bad but Until you make a right bags of the interview I can't see them failing more people (especially if they exhausted some panels last year).

Just have your examples prepared (they probably won't ask for two for each, like the permanent campaign but) try to have two for each competencies & use your time as a TCO.

I think your overthinking it. Last year might have felt like a box ticking exercise but in fact in the pre-interview booklet it stated 4 competencies and people were marked accordingly. Sure your OOM didn't change but you did have to pass the competencies to get through.

This year you have two interviewer so its verified & they can justify moving the OOM up if your exceptional good or down if exceptional bad but Until you make a right bags of the interview I can't see them failing more people (especially if they exhausted some panels last year).

Just have your examples prepared (they probably won't ask for two for each, like the permanent campaign but) try to have two for each competencies & use your time as a TCO.

Thank you. I really appreciate that. I think I am just overthinking it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Not to be jumping the gun but just handy to know, is leave allowance for tco pro rata on co annual leave? So 22 days al for co, for a 12 week tco contract should be about 5 days? Seems a bit higger than I remembered so dunno is that right? Didn't specify exact allowance in booklet. Presumably most departments would allow you to work up flexi time but cab that only usually be taken within the 1 week? Or can you work up a 1.5 days similar to full-time cos?

Also presumably anyone taken on over best few weeks would get Paddys BH off, Easter Monday and May BH Monday? Do some departments still take Friday of Good Friday off or is that scrapped? Either way probably best time to be taken in with amount of public holidays during that period! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭EmmetWhitey

Eod100 wrote: »
    Not to be jumping the gun but just handy to know, is leave allowance for tco pro rata on co annual leave? So 22 days al for co, for a 12 week tco contract should be about 5 days? Seems a bit higger than I remembered so dunno is that right? Didn't specify exact allowance in booklet. Presumably most departments would allow you to work up flexi time but cab that only usually be taken within the 1 week? Or can you work up a 1.5 days similar to full-time cos?

Yeah you're essentially the same as a full time CO. In my experience I usually always got 5 or 5.5 days per 12 week contract just depended. You can build up a day and a half flexi every 4 weeks. And yes Good Friday is still a holiday

• Advertisement

I got 5 days annual leave when I was a TCO in the civil service and could take 1.5 days flexi a month. Last year I was in the public service and got 7 days annual leave with 1 flexi day a month.
    I was in both TCO positions for the same amount of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭wexford awake

I got 5 days annual leave when I was a TCO in the civil service and could take 1.5 days flexi a month. Last year I was in the public service and got 7 days annual leave with 1 flexi day a month.
    I was in both TCO positions for the same amount of time.
    Yes Co Councils have more holidays. About 5 per year. They can only take 1 Flexi day a month compared to 1.5 days in the Civil Service.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Kerry gold

Any update on the Kerry panel

Would people be expecting results from interviews last Saturday sometime next week? I know previous TCO campaigns prior to formal interview it could only take a few days. Presume this will be a bit longer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tringle

Would people be expecting results from interviews last Saturday sometime next week? I know previous TCO campaigns prior to formal interview it could only take a few days. Presume this will be a bit longer?

If they follow the pattern of all tbe recent CO interviews and assessments then results will be late this afternoon, alwsys seems to be Thursdays

tringle wrote: »
    If they follow the pattern of all tbe recent CO interviews and assessments then results will be late this afternoon, alwsys seems to be Thursdays

Thanks for that. Wasn't expecting it so soon after the interview tbh!

On a separate note, anyone have any experience of an employer only willing to provide a confirmation of dates? I have submitted this to PAS but they have advised they are looking for a reference. Not quite sure what to do. If I'm unable to provide it will I not be considered for rest of competition?

tringle wrote: »

On a separate note, anyone have any experience of an employer only willing to provide a confirmation of dates? I have submitted this to PAS but they have advised they are looking for a reference. Not quite sure what to do. If I'm unable to provide it will I not be considered for rest of competition?

Is it your only possible reference? Do you have any other employments, academic references you could use?

Is it your only possible reference? Do you have any other employments, academic references you could use?

No it's for most recent employer. Have provided other 2 recent references.

While there is no statutory entitlement to a reference from your employer, if they do it for some employees, they should do it for all without discrimination.Have you asked why they won't do it for you when they've done it for others?

• Advertisement

While there is no statutory entitlement to a reference from your employer, if they do it for some employees, they should do it for all without discrimination.Have you asked why they won't do it for you when they've done it for others?

I don't know that they have. Followed up with them and they just said its policy. Guess I can explain that to PAS.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Dublintigger

Hi Eod100

Just so you are aware, an Employer is only obliged to give a reference confirming that you worked in the company and they should stating the start and end dates only.

Anything else could/would open them up for litigation if the employee who is looking for the reference disagreed to what is said in the written references.

However, if someone (PAS) rings to confirm your employment, there is nothing to stop them (your previous Employer) giving you a negative reference – as there will be nothing in writing/recorded, there will be nothing to use in litigation. And the person checking up on your reference is not obliged to let you know what your past Employer has said other than your reference had a negative/ positive impact on your application.

Hope this helps
    Dublintigger

Hi Eod100

Just so you are aware, an Employer is only obliged to give a reference confirming that you worked in the company and they should stating the start and end dates only.

Anything else could/would open them up for litigation if the employee who is looking for the reference disagreed to what is said in the written references.

However, if someone (PAS) rings to confirm your employment, there is nothing to stop them (your previous Employer) giving you a negative reference – as there will be nothing in writing/recorded, there will be nothing to use in litigation. And the person checking up on your reference is not obliged to let you know what your past Employer has said other than your reference had a negative/ positive impact on your application.

Hope this helps
    Dublintigger

Interesting, thanks. Would imagine any checking up of references would need to be logged in case of dispute/appeal though but that is fairly aside. Not worried about getting a negative reference, it's more that employer only giving confirmation of dates so not sure if that will be acceptable to PAS .

Interesting, thanks. Would imagine any checking up of references would need to be logged in case of dispute/appeal though but that is fairly aside. Not worried about getting a negative reference, it's more that employer only giving confirmation of dates so not sure if that will be acceptable to PAS .

It is standard practice to give just the start and end date .... I'm sure PAS are aware of the practice.

It is standard practice to give just the start and end date .... I'm sure PAS are aware of the practice.

That's fine but they came back to me looking for reference. I have advised what employer said anyways so hopefully that will be acceptable. Thanks for info

That's fine but they came back to me looking for reference. I have advised what employer said anyways so hopefully that will be acceptable. Thanks for info

Welcome.

• Advertisement

I don't know that they have. Followed up with them and they just said its policy. Guess I can explain that to PAS.

Apologies, I thought you meant they had provided 2 references to others recently.

Anyone on the Clare Panel hear anything yet?

Apologies, I thought you meant they had provided 2 references to others recently.

No need, bad phrasing on my part! Yeah sorry meant I had provided PAS with 2 references

If its company policy not to get references they usually wouldnt give a verbal reference anyways (good or bad).

If PAS rings them and they confirm its their company policy not too, that should be fine as you have given other references they can check if they need too.

Interview results out. Best of luck everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Redfoot2019

Hi All,

Interview results are out. I passed, thank goodness.

My order of merit has changed and I was given a score for each competency, qualifying score was 20 and maximum score 50.

Good luck to everyone.

My results are in and I'm really pleased with my outcome.

My OOM has improved as well - so fingers crossed I will get something soon - and fingers crossed again its a good long contract!!

Although.... I know it is the luck of the draw to where and and what!

Good luck to everyone!!

Anyone know which depts could be taking people on? Guess social welfare, revenue, courts service would be the big ones?

Hi All,

Interview results are out. I passed, thank goodness.

My order of merit has changed and I was given a score for each competency, qualifying score was 20 and maximum score 50.

Good luck to everyone.

Congrats on passing, and on the OOM change. Hopefully a position will open up for you soon!

Who do I email to find out about movement on interviews, etc?

Anyone know which depts could be taking people on? Guess social welfare, revenue, courts service would be the big ones?

Most departments take on TCO's but it depends on location. Social welfare and Revenue would be big ones in most counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 AC19

Anyone have any idea when they start placing people from this panel?

AC19 wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea when they start placing people from this panel?

I think someone had posted here maybe March sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 AC19

I think someone had posted here maybe March sometime.

Cool thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭wexford awake

It's strange that not all counties have started interviewing

• Advertisement

Maybe they're interviewing in the counties where they know they're going to need staff in the next couple of months? Looking at last year's thread, the panel in some counties moved very slowly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 Aisinikins

Hi all , is there any word on movement in Galway? Or anybody know how quick/fast Galway usually gets moving? Asking for someone not on boards . Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Murph29

On a side note, would anyone have any experience working in the Department of Agriculture ? Thanks

Aisinikins
    Didn't hear of anyone being called for Galway yet. But the old panel hasn't run out there yet. The people who were called and did interview and got the interview can you confirm what county you got the TCO positions in.

I emailed to ask about this and they replied that they are in the process of organising further interviews. So hopefully soon.

I emailed to ask about this and they replied that they are in the process of organising further interviews. So hopefully soon.

I emailed too and they responded the following:

We have begun calling a few regions in the TCO 2019.

I have no details regarding further interviews however we are hoping to started interviewing in all regions by the end of February.

I emailed too and they responded the following:

We have begun calling a few regions in the TCO 2019.

I have no details regarding further interviews however we are hoping to started interviewing in all regions by the end of February.

That was more information than I got from them, thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

Invite to interview out for Laois region for Saturday 23rd

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Carlisle2211

Could anyone tell me where can I find where I listed my competencies when I applied for tco position as I was told that I will be asked about them in my interview, thanks.

• Advertisement

We didn't list competencies when applying. However they are listed on the last page of the TCO booklet.

Advertisement