Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

M50 - apalling gridlock

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Patww79 wrote: »
    Because a cyclist or a pedestrian can cause an accident and be well gone within ten seconds of it happening. A blanket rule like that is preposterous.

Does that happen much?

I don't recall many Garda appeals looking for rogue cyclists or pedestrians who caused crashes and then disappeared?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

amcalester wrote: »
    What makes the roads inadequate? The people in the cars, so it is their fault.

Have you ever stopped to wonder if the planners that build massive estates with one inadequate access road on to an already busy major road might not have some serious questions to answer.

Planners that build a by pass road to take the traffic out of a congested village centre, and then put 3 schools on the by pass, resulting in multiple traffic lights, speed bumps and pedestrian crossings that make the by pass as slow as the route through the village.

Planners that keep adding houses to towns without also having facilities to allow people to park in the centre of those towns.

Planners that are incapable of putting sensible size park and ride facilities close to the major motorways to allow people to use public transport to get to the centre of Dublin

In a nutshell, planners that don't plan, or in a lot of cases, that don't have any concept of what is needed to make the towns and cities they are responsible for into vibrant viable communities that have some cohesion. That's why we've ended up with too many exclusive isolationist gated complexes with no local facilities, massive parking problems, and out of town shopping centres that grid lock into chaos on a regular basis because they can't plan the access in and out of the places, and can't think in 3 dimensions.

If you've travelled outside of Ireland to other places in other countries, you know what I'm talking about, yes, people at times expect too much, but equally, our planning systems have a great deal to answer for, they have fundamentally failed us in so many areas of public life over the last 30 years.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

People have a right to buy and drive cars.

People also have the right to efficient public transport, when will that be a reality?

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Put the drum down, we've moved back on topic.
    I get it, you don't like motorists, no need to keep on about it.

I love motorists. I am a motorist.

I don't like arguments that ignore evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Have you ever stopped to wonder if the planners that build massive estates with one inadequate access road on to an already busy major road might not have some serious quesre tions to answer.

Planners that build a by pass road to take the traffic out of a congested village centre, and then put 3 schools on the by pass, resulting in multiple traffic lights, speed bumps and pedestrian crossings that make the by pass as slow as the route through the village.

Planners that keep adding houses to towns without also having facilities to allow people to park in the centre of those towns.

Planners that are incapable of putting sensible size park and ride facilities close to the major motorways to allow people to use public transport to get to the centre of Dublin

In a nutshell, planners that don't plan, or in a lot of cases, that don't have any concept of what is needed to make the towns and cities they are responsible for into vibrant viable communities that have some cohesion. That's why we've ended up with too many exclusive isolationist gated complexes with no local facilities, massive parking problems, and out of town shopping centres that grid lock into chaos on a regular basis because they can't plan the access in and out of the places, and can't think in 3 dimensions.

If you've travelled outside of Ireland to other places in other countries, you know what I'm talking about, yes, people at times expect too much, but equally, our planning systems have a great deal to answer for, they have fundamentally failed us in so many areas of public life over the last 30 years.

I didn’t say motorists were the only ones to blame.

Poor planning doesn’t absolve Mary and Joe of any blame when they choose to drive the 5.9KM to work (in Dublin).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

No one has suggested other alternatives.

No one, apart from these to list just a few from the thread.
    gflood wrote: »
    Suggested improvements :
    • Car pool lanes.
    • Widen motorways.
    • Fix planning so it doesn't take 20 years to build a road.
    • I get a rebate on my fuel due to poor infrastructure.
    • Massive tax incentives/cheap ticket prices for public transport especially at peak times, not how it is now where off-peak is cheaper.
    • if an incident happens on the road its closed off so no reason for rubberneckers to hold everyone up. Seriously ... is changing a tyre that interesting?
    How about we build the Metro.
    yoke wrote: »
    Why doesn’t the government give incentives to businesses to allow more employees to work from home?
    Flexible working hours or working from home.
    Innovation fund to develop ride sharing app
    Tax breaks or toll reduction for designated ride sharing users
    Incentives to companies to move out of Dublin
    Encourage private bus operators to run park and ride or regular bus stop connect
    Penalise users of bus lanes
    Encourage more cycling by putting in adequate facilities
    Increase incentive value of bike to work scheme
    We don't need another road. We need to get people off their arses and use sustainable transport!

No, more lanes and bigger and better junctions.

If people want to buy more cars I don't have an issue, just make the roads bigger as required.

Most people want the privacy and comfort of their cars.

Not their fault we don't have adequate roads.

People can't 'want' all they like, but there isn't enough land in Ireland or enough oxygen in our atmosphere to facilitate this 'want'.

If you want your children to be able to live on our planet, something has to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Put 6 lanes each way on the M50, proper flyovers and that will give us 30 + years of new capacity before the next upgrade.

The metro might be built by then but the reality is the vast majority will always prefer their cars and more power to them.

Put 6 lanes each way on the M50, proper flyovers and that will give us 30 + years of new capacity before the next upgrade.

The metro might be built by then but the reality is the vast majority will always prefer their cars and more power to them.

This may be the case. I don't think so but maybe you are right.

But, the scientific evidence is that this is unsustainable and is bad for society and is literally killing the planet.

Do you have children? Would you like them to be able to live in a healthy environment?

• Advertisement

Strange how people prefer public transport in counties that actually setup the infrastructure correctly though isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Big bastard of a recession will put a dampener on congestion.

tuxy wrote: »
    Strange how people prefer public transport in counties that actually setup the infrastructure correctly though isn't it?

Lets discuss the pleasures of public transport in Dublin then...

Junkies on my way to work, people who don't pay like I would because free travel passes are given out like confetti, scumbags getting on and off unchallenged by "security" who have no power, harassment, anti social behaviour, drinking, drug taking....

Bus - ditto

DART - ditto

I'll hold on to my car thanks as will most other people :cool:

To put it bluntly the way we go on in this society, what we tolerate generally compared to other countries is seen as a microcosm in all forms of public transport here.

People don't want that. They don't want to be exposed to it.

This nonsense of "we can be like the continent"....there are serious societal issues and imbalances that need to be addressed in this state if anyone is going to be successfully selling these alternatives to the rest of us.

Because right now that is not happening and it goes way beyond simply having more transport options. We have a serious societal problem in the country that needs to be confronted first from the justice system to police to welfare to drug policy to basic planning.

People are not going to expose themselves to all that at the expense of their cars. They just want to be left in peace to go to and from work without hassle.

Do you have children? Would you like them to be able to live in a healthy environment?

Do you mind if I steal and adapt this?

Do you have children? Would you like them to be able to live?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Lets discuss the pleasures of public transport in Dublin then...

Junkies on my way to work, people who don't pay like I would because free travel passes are given out like confetti, scumbags getting on and off unchallenged by "security" who have no power, harassment, anti social behaviour, drinking, drug taking....

Bus - ditto

DART - ditto

I'll hold on to my car thanks as will most other people :cool:

To put it bluntly the way we go on in this society, what we tolerate generally compared to other countries is seen as a microcosm in all forms of public transport here.

This nonsense of "we can be like the continent"....there are serious societal issues and imbalances that need to be addressed in this state if anyone is going to be successfully selling these alternatives to the rest of us.

Because right now that is not happening and it goes way beyond simply having more transport options. We have a serious societal problem in the country that needs to be confronted first from the justice system to police to welfare to drug policy to basic planning.

People are not going to expose themselves to all that at the expense of their cars. They just want to be left in peace to go to and from work without hassle.

Having lived abroad for years, I can tell you that these problems exist on every transport network, in every city, in every country that I've been in. If you're going to wait until everything is cleaned up, then you'll be waiting for a very long time. Ireland and Dublin are no worse than any other city.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MarkHenderson

People also have the right to efficient public transport, when will that be a reality?

Keep voting for FFG and political organisations who think in 4 year cycles and never.

• Advertisement

CatInABox wrote: »
    Having lived abroad for years, I can tell you that these problems exist on every transport network, in every city, in every country that I've been in. If you're going to wait until everything is cleaned up, then you'll be waiting for a very long time. Ireland and Dublin are no worse than any other city.

Everyone knows that. Some choose to ignore that reality though. Could be very frustrating to try debating with such illogical views.

They don't make sense but, they are as entitled to a view as anyone else.

Ireland and Dublin are no worse than any other city.

You are wrong. It is worse for the simple reason we don't have an actual police force, never mind transport police (which would be a start) and we don't have a proper justice system.

People know this.

For example If I get on a tram in Dublin there is a very reasonable chance that somewhere on that tram will be sitting someone with 100+ convictions.

Can you tell me what other country on the planet would have anybody walking the streets with 100+ convictions?

My point is this - everyone knows this. This leads to trouble like the young man I saw some months back beaten to within an inch of his life by 3 scumbags between 2 stops on the red line.

The most disturbing thing (and it was disturbing) was the extent to which they were egged on by other scrotes on the same tram - the impotence of the security - but most telling of all they simply got off the tram when they were done and went on their way.

No garda, no protection, no help.

I bet you if that was in Manchester, for example, that tram driver would have slowed that tram down and waiting at the next stop would be police or transport police.

We have nothing like that in this country.

Let's get the basics right first eh?

You are wrong. It is worse for the simple reason we don't have an actual police force, never mind transport police (which would be a start) and we don't have a proper justice system.

People know this.

For example If I get on a tram in Dublin there is a very reasonable chance that somewhere on that tram will be sitting someone with 100+ convictions.

Can you tell me what other country on the planet would have anybody walking the streets with 100+ convictions?

My point is this - everyone knows this. This leads to trouble like the young man I saw some months back beaten to within an inch of his life by 3 scumbags between 2 stops on the red line.

The most disturbing thing (and it was disturbing) was the extent to which they were egged on by other scrotes on the same tram - the impotence of the security - but most telling of all they simply got off the tram when they were done and went on their way.

I bet you if that was in Manchester, for example, that tram driver would have slowed that tram down and waiting at the next stop would be police or transport police.

A single event is not indicative of normal practice. You know that don't you?
    Do you think there is never criminal or anti social behaviour on UK public transport?

You are being ridiculously selective in your view and using phrases like "People know this" when what you mean is "this is what I think" doesn't change that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

People know this.

I've sat next to scumbags and junkies on public transport in every city that I've been to, and I've no idea about the number of convictions people had, it's not like they're tattooed on their forehead.

I've also been on the bus here when Garda came on board and dragged someone off.

I have a feeling that you just have a negative view of Dublin and Ireland in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

It's gone very After Hours in here

• Advertisement

Do you think there is never criminal or anti social behaviour on UK public transport?

Of course there is.

But they have proper policing and transport police - we don't. They have a firmer justice system than we do.

We have, unless you can point me to somewhere else, the weakest of both in the whole of Europe.

This does not inspire confidence in me or anyone I know.

If you have confidence in the system here then I think you are one of very few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

People know this.

You think these criminals with 100+ convictions don’t drive too?

I have a feeling that you just have a negative view of Dublin

Dublin is my own city but the view is entirely justified.

You know just as well as I do the city is not policed or governed properly.

If people are in denial about that nothing will change. With the best will in the world I struggle to see public transport as a worthwhile solution for most people here certainly the way things are now.

They will stick to their cars.

But if you want solutions...

One major step forward would be a proper dedicated and resourced transport police section of the gardai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Keep voting for FFG and political organisations who think in 4 year cycles and never.

Who do you think is worth voting for that will solve all of the countries ills?

Isn't it strange how these much discussed incidents don't get through to the mainstream press, or don't make it to Crimecall for the high quality CCTV to be used to search for the attackers, or even never get recorded on mobile phone and get widely circulated on social media?
    Yeah, Manchester would be a great model to follow.
    https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/tram-passengers-frightened-use-oldham-14474537
    https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/manchester-piccadilly-tram-police-thursday-15066813
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/cctv-attempted-murder-tram-passenger-chadderton-oldham-greater-manchester-a8268811.html
    https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/freehold-tram-attack-attempted-murder-14478290
    Perhaps it's because you only travel on public transport once in a blue moon, but Luas and Irish Rail have pretty decent security - fairly though Eastern European guys, usually ex-Army, tough as nails. Try out the Luas on a regular basis and you'll definitely see them, along with the orange-wearing revenue protection staff.
    I'll hold on to my car thanks as will most other people [IMG]file:///C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image002.gif[/IMG]

People 'want' lots of things. Many people of south Dublin want to continue to walk in their parks, in Marlay, in Riverbank Park in Tallaght, in Tymon Park. They want to continue to watch their kids and young adults playing football, hurling and camogie in Marlay, at Faughs, at St Judes. They want to continue living in their houses and apartments at Kingston, Ticknock Park, Orlagh, Airpark, Bracken Hill. They want to continue to visit their parents in Marlay nursing home.
    And if you think you're going to destroy communities to widen the M50 into an even bigger car park because you're just a bit too stuck up to use public transport, you're going to be a bit disappointed, I reckon.

Everyone knows that. Some choose to ignore that reality though. Could be very frustrating to try debating with such illogical views.

They don't make sense but, they are as entitled to a view as anyone else.
    They're entitled to their views for sure. They're not entitled to pretend that those views are based on actual evidence. They're also not entitled to get public policy built around inability to share nicely with other people.

I fully expect plans to widen the M50 to be brought forward soon enough and not before time.

I fully expect plans to widen the M50 to be brought forward soon enough and not before time.

I fully expect congestion charges and carbon tax to become part of everyday life in a growing manner.

Tell me, will you use it when there's tolls on every junction?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

The type of posting you have been engaged in on this thread is not on.

You kept claiming Dublin is worse and none of the stuff say you have seen would be tolerated elsewhere and than you stressed that Dublin is so much worse and, then when another poster includes likes to try to prove you wrong about an example city you gave, you go off talking about the unrealistic prospect of extra lanes on the M50.

And if you think you're going to destroy communities to widen the M50 into an even bigger car park because you're just a bit too stuck up to use public transport, you're going to be a bit disappointed, I reckon.

No need for the dig -- you can make your point without it.

• Advertisement

Tell me, will you use it when there's tolls on every junction?

I think it's politically impossible to put anymore tolls on so will never happen.

A way of funding widening is better done through extending the life of the existing tolling arrangement.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I fully expect congestion charges and carbon tax to become part of everyday life in a growing manner.
    the concept of carbon taxes annoys me. and i'd count myself as a tree hugger.

mainly because i don't think they'll make an iota of difference. if someone is spending €10 a day on fuel and tolls, adding (say) €1 to that cost without actually improving or providing the alternatives will make bugger all difference, but will allow the government to pretend they're 'doing something'.

i know bord na mona is already going to be shedding jobs, but they should just shut the bloody company down. in one stroke, they'd probably make a difference of a few percentage points to the country's CO2 output.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

i know bord na mona is already going to be shedding jobs, but they should just shut the bloody company down. in one stroke, they'd probably make a difference of a few percentage points to the country's CO2 output.

Does that include shutting their wind farm department?

mainly because i don't think they'll make an iota of difference. if someone is spending €10 a day on fuel and tolls, adding (say) €1 to that cost without actually improving or providing the alternatives will make bugger all difference, but will allow the government to pretend they're 'doing something'.
    Sounds like the problem there is that the carbon taxes are too low. Let's say the €10 a day rises to €15 or €20, with maybe extra taxes for parking on top, would that be effective in discouraging car use and encouraging public transport use?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Does that include shutting their wind farm department?
    even if you did, from what little i can find online, probably.
    what appears to be their biggest windfarm offsets 155,000 tons of CO2 per year.
    but peat accounts for over 3 million tons of ireland's output (of about 60 million tons)

Sounds like the problem there is that the carbon taxes are too low. Let's say the €10 a day rises to €15 or €20, with maybe extra taxes for parking on top, would that be effective in discouraging car use and encouraging public transport use?
    only if the public transport option is fit for taking on the extra capacity.

Yes the carbon tax would be just fine if there were viable alternatives. But how would the government balance the budget without motor tax, fuel tax and carbon tax.
    They need people in cars and the longer they are in them the better.

I think it's politically impossible to put anymore tolls on so will never happen.

A way of funding widening is better done through extending the life of the existing tolling arrangement.

The current toll would be replaced by smaller tolls at each junction, so someone going from the M1 to the N2 would be charged less than someone going from the M1 to the M4. Only those going the entire M50 would be charged more than the current toll.

There's also the argument to be made that it should be the opposite way around, with those going the furthest on the M50 being charged the least, while those just "junction-hopping" would be charged the most.

Anyway, there is political will to do it, but only after BusConnects and the Core Corridor project has been completed.

I have little time for the stupid conspiracy theory that the government are conspiring to keep people in their cars for the reason of tax revenues.

• Advertisement

I totally disagree.

There is zero political will. No Dublin politician from a main political party is going to sign up for that knowing the consequences for them. They tried to bring it forward before and it was stopped dead in it's tracks.

Most likely solution is widening and extension of the current tolling arrangement. That is politically the most viable option and it's the easiest.

Widening can be done in sections also. I think the first section will be almost certainly between the N4 and N7.

I have little time for the stupid conspiracy theory that the government are conspiring to keep people in their cars for the reason of tax revenues.

Why introduce carbon tax before offering people alternatives to driving then?
    Would it not make more sense to introduce it as an incentive to a more environmentally friendly option?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Would it not make more sense to introduce it as an incentive to a more environmentally friendly option?

Oh, like the "incentives" to upgrade domestic heating from oil to..........Oh wait, there are no carbon friendly alternatives to oil that are grant supported. I looked into possible alternatives to oil a while back, and the only option that might have helped was to go over to wood pellet, but that would require us to have bulk deliveries of pellets into a storage hopper built into the roof, and guess what, none of the suppliers are offering deliveries to Meath, so effectively, there is no viable and affordable alternative to oil at present for us. I could go over to wood pellets, but at nearly 70, I don't think that carrying 25 Kg poly sacks of wood pellets on a regular basis is something I should see as a viable alternative to having a tank filled as and when I need it.

The harsh reality is that there is no real agenda at State level to incentivise people to move to better options, the only thing we're likely to see is the stick without the carrot. Nothing new there though.

The same is pretty much true with the roads situation. We're 10 miles north of Dublin, if you work in the centre of Dublin, there's a reasonable bus service to Busaras, and an hourly link to the airport, but if you want to go anywhere else in Dublin in under 2 hours at peak times, forget public transport, it doesn't exist, so to get to any of the outer ring industrial estates, or somewhere like Sandyford, or Citywest, the only viable (painful) option is to go by road.

The issue is simple. Anything that does not produce a return in terms of more votes is not even on the radar, so there is no such thing as long term objectives in the minds of pretty much all of the political thinking, and the unstable PR system that is so beloved by so many does nothing to help change the long term planning, it only serves to make the people in power even more paranoid about protecting their own position.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

You know what will happen, increase tax and public transport will stay the same. Slightly reshuffle the routes, but still 99% of people in Dublin on public transport, no matter where they're going, are funneled in the college green/oconnell Bridge area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

the concept of carbon taxes annoys me. and i'd count myself as a tree hugger.

Who replaces the 2,000 jobs in the midlands? Or should they all start commuting up to Dublin using the M50?

Back on topic please!

— moderator

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Is there any project currently under construction in the Dublin area that'll help with the congestion on the M50, or improve the public transport?

Widening can be done in sections also. I think the first section will be almost certainly between the N4 and N7.
    How many graves in Palmerston cemetery do you plan to dig up to accommodate this doubling in size?

Because we are destroying our planet, making it unusable for our children.

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Is there any project currently under construction in the Dublin area that'll help with the congestion on the M50, or improve the public transport?
    I heard Eamonn Ryan speaking recently, saying that there are no public transport infrastructure builds happening in 2019 - just more road widening to bring more cars into Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

ozzy jr wrote: »

Nope. We should of went straight from Luas Cross city to another project. Metrolink, Dart expansion, Bus Connects etc choose your poison

• Advertisement
Advertisement