Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ballsbridge apartments development €3,850 to €6,000 / month

• 29-11-2018 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

http://www.98fm.com/Ballsbridge-Apartments-To-Set-New-Rental-High

I understand there are wealthy CEOs/etc of multinationals who may not live here permanently. But for others (e.g. people on high salaries who live here permanently), why wouldn't you just buy property instead of paying up to €72,000/year in rent? Will they be used by consulates? AirBNB? I just can't see the market for these.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭tigger123

If you're working in Dublin on a short term contract (6 to 12 months) it would be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

tigger123 wrote: »
    If you're working in Dublin on a short term contract (6 to 12 months) it would be an option.

What sort or salary do you think these people would be on for this to be an option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

This is pointless for our economy and society. What a tragic state of affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

If we build more, and higher, then the value of these will reduce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Zenify wrote: »
    What sort or salary do you think these people would be on for this to be an option?

Company would normally pay for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭ShaneC93

Corporate short-term lets. Google, Facebook, LinkedIn, most of the multi-nationals do a ton of them and considering FB are moving to Ballsbridge it seems like perfect timing..

The company covers the cost, usually the lets only last 1-6 weeks and the most usual circumstances are a) someone from abroad flying over for interviewing / orientation / training b) someone non-entry level relocating from abroad, they get put up somewhere while they find their own place c) execs / senior management flying in from abroad for more than a couple of days.

These short-term lets typically go for €1000 - €1500 a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Those apartments are huge and have access onsite to a gym, spa and swimming pool. Not a surprise they have a premium price, just surprising they weren't sold straight off for a couple million each

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭ShaneC93

Just looking at their site there, the top-most penthouse (4-beds) is up on Daft for €4,750 a week. Wow! €250K odd if you to agree a yearly let at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Moonjet

ShaneC93 wrote: »
    Just looking at their site there, the top-most penthouse (4-beds) is up on Daft for €4,750 a week. Wow! €250K odd if you to agree a yearly let at that price.

Looking at those pictures, you would be forgiven for thinking it was a hotel marketing brochure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭NSAman

Think New York in Dublin... that is what they are aiming for.

The Irish don't don;t have the culture of corporate lets. Property is for buying. In many other countries property is let on short-term corporate lets for Executives flying in for a brief period of time, it is an apartment but with hotel amenities.

Think about it this way.... hotel price per night... 300 - 600 multiply it by 7....and these (while crazily priced) are "value".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Moonjet wrote: »
    Looking at those pictures, you would be forgiven for thinking it was a hotel marketing brochure.

That's the market (and pricing) these apartments will generally be competing in.

The prices don't look quite as outrageous when compared to a hotel of a similar standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,587 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Moonjet wrote: »
    http://www.98fm.com/Ballsbridge-Apartments-To-Set-New-Rental-High

I understand there are wealthy CEOs/etc of multinationals who may not live here permanently. But for others (e.g. people on high salaries who live here permanently), why wouldn't you just buy property instead of paying up to €48,000/year in rent? Will they be used by consulates? AirBNB? I just can't see the market for these.

Companies pay. Rent is an allowable expense , mortgages are not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Why would they buy here? There are allot of benefits to renting beyond the financial. i'm recently back from almost a decade in Dubai & never even considered buying there despite the high cost of rent (also had to pay a full year in advance). The plan for most is to save for their eventual move back to their home country (or somewhere else). Thats just a comment highly paid foreign workers... theres also plenty of wealthy Irish who are happy to rent the right property.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

there must be a market or they wouldnt have been built. will there be a market in 5-10 years.....thats the question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,422 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

This is pointless for our economy and society. What a tragic state of affairs.

Some people are rich and some other people sell stuff to rich people.

You'll have suck it up I'm afraid.

It's probably more likely destined for corporate lettings anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

More idiotic, moronic, wasteful rich-people hosting that we don't need, wasting space that could be used for affordable housing that we do need.

:(

Heebie wrote: »
    More idiotic, moronic, wasteful rich-people hosting that we don't need, wasting space that could be used for affordable housing that we do need.

And who will pay for all this affordable housing? Affordable housing in prime city center location? cop on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,422 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

In Ballsbridge?

Ffs

Social housing is the responsibility of the government, not private developers.

lawred2 wrote: »
    In Ballsbridge?

Ffs

I can see the headlines now, Ballsbridge & D4 Housing Cooperative spends €12 million euro buying land for 18 'affordable' apartments.

• Advertisement

Graham wrote:
    I can see the headlines now, Ballsbridge & D4 Housing Cooperative spends €12 million euro buying land for 18 'affordable' apartments.

jim-mcdee wrote:
    And who will pay for all this affordable housing? Affordable housing in prime city center location? cop on.

jim-mcdee wrote:

and all these attitudes are why scumbag developers are allowed to make tons of ridiculously expensive hissing for the rich, and not build anything real people can afford.

and all these attitudes are why scumbag developers are allowed to make tons of ridiculously expensive hissing for the rich, and not build anything real people can afford.

Sure thing komrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,587 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It’s not their job. The state should build affordable housing

Graham wrote:

jim-mcdee wrote:

jim-mcdee wrote:

Rich people are real people, just successful...

Bluefoam wrote:

"Successful" and "selfish douchebag" do not need to be synonyms... sadly they are.

There attitude of "that's the government's job" is also nonsense.
    It's part of every Irish person's "job" as an Irish person to make sure that every Irish person has what we need at a minimum. We have a rapidly growing number of people who DO NOT have hissing available to them full stop.
    That is a crime against the Irish people, compounded by the flagrant profiteering by scumbag developers who aren't honoring their responsibility under law to provide a certain percentage is affordable housing, by "buying" their way out of that responsibility to their fellow Irish people.
    ...and you are part of the problem.

Are you genuinely suggesting buying some of the most expensive land in the country would be a good use of very limited affordable housing resources?

Bluefoam wrote:

"Successful" and "selfish douchebag" do not need to be synonyms... sadly they are.

It's part of every Irish person's "job" as an Irish person to make sure that every Irish person has what we need at a minimum. We have a rapidly growing number of people who DO NOT have hissing available to them full stop.
    That is a crime against the Irish people, compounded by the flagrant profiteering by scumbag developers who aren't honoring their responsibility under law to provide a certain percentage is affordable housing, by "buying" their way out of that responsibility to their fellow Irish people.
    I'm open to being corrected, but I'm not sure you can buy your way out of affordable housing anymore. I'm not sure what you think developers owe you... They are just businesses building houses for profit. Why don't you build houses if you don't like the system... Don't get me wrong, I got stung worse than most during the recession. Still not back on my feet, but I'm far from the problem. I was left without assets and a massive debt, I never asked for anything from the state and never missed a mortgage payment. I have worked my hole off to get back to normality (which I am not back to yet), so I suggest you take that pathetic chip off your shoulder and do something for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

Contractors, not a salary. Grand a day or so...

Yeah sure we should all just go on the dole and get the rich people to build us penthouses in D4 in which to 'have few cans wit de lads'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

Contractors, not a salary. Grand a day or so...

A grand a day is 500 after tax, 2,500 per week... roughly 10k per month. 6k in rent would be 60% of their pay which would be very steep particularly with that sort of a wage.

If there was 2 people on that wage sharing an apartment I could understand, then its 30%. But people here are saying it's short term people using them not young families.... obviously someone will be paying it or it wouldn't be up. I'm just curious to know as I cant figure out who would afford it.

Advertisement