Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ballsbridge apartments development €3,850 to €6,000 / month

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Heebie wrote: »
    More idiotic, moronic, wasteful rich-people hosting that we don't need, wasting space that could be used for affordable housing that we do need.

:(
    So you'd want a few semi-d's built instead of a high-rise apartment block? Check the price of the land, and let us know how much would the land cost that each semi-d would be, before even the foundations are built? I'm guessing the figures would be the high end of 6 figures before a brick is even put into place.
    and all these attitudes are why scumbag developers are allowed to make tons of ridiculously expensive hissing for the rich, and not build anything real people can afford.
    Explain to me why the state should shell out millions to house the poor so that they'd be close to their mammy, as opposed to putting them in a housing estate in north Dublin somewhere?

THE LAND ALONE WOULD MAKE THIS AFFORDABLE FOR THE "REAL" PEOPLE!!!
    It's part of every Irish person's "job" as an Irish person to make sure that every Irish person has what we need at a minimum. We have a rapidly growing number of people who DO NOT have hissing available to them full stop.
    How the **** is it my job to ensure the forever unemployed are housed in a (council) house that I cannot afford?
    9000 homeless. This is a disgrace. The government would rather rich landlords than people housed.
    I'd love to know how many of those 9000 homeless have refused a house for any reason at all?
    Graham wrote: »
    Does this development have planning permission for short-term lets?
    If the apartment is rented for a year to a corporation, is there a law stating who the corporation is allowed to have stay there?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

the_syco wrote: »

If the apartment is rented for a year to a corporation, is there a law stating who the corporation is allowed to have stay there?

The law relates to the use made of the apartment by the corporation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

the_syco wrote: »
    Explain to me why the state should shell out millions to house the poor so that they'd be close to their mammy, as opposed to putting them in a housing estate in north Dublin somewhere?

Affordable housing was the posters point. Affordable housing is for those earning under 58k for a singleton and under 75k for a couple. A person on 58k is not poor, they too cannot afford sky high rent and high house prices designed by and for the wealthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Fkall

Zenify wrote: »
    What sort or salary do you think these people would be on for this to be an option?

For example the average salary in Facebook is €154k as reported in Irish Times

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

Fkall wrote: »

That doesn't even come close to affording the top end apartment.

Gross 154k
    Net would be 90k (quick guess in my head)

Rent 6k×12= 72k

Facebook cant afford it. Even 2 people on that salary it would be over the recommended percent to spend on rent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I think proves what a false economy we are living in, most people think everything is rosy but the truth is that most people are blindly sleepwalking into a far bigger crash than 2008, and this is not just Ireland, cracks are appearing in the US economy and Europe is still practically in recession since 2008. Now would be a good time to sell and certainly not buy any sort of overpriced property. What we will witness in the next 5 years will change the entire globe forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,136 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

That doesn't even come close to affording the top end apartment.

Gross 154k
    Net would be 90k (quick guess in my head)

Rent 6k2= 72k

Facebook cant afford it. Even 2 people on that salary it would be over the recommended percent to spend on rent.

Did anyone suggest that an average fb employee could or would afford it ?

These aren’t for average anyone

Cyrus,

That was my understanding of this post:

What sort or salary do you think these people would be on for this to be an option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Prices are not so different to high end anywhere in the world.

A one bedroomed in hong kong €4000 a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Andycap8 wrote: »
    Was that not the Lansdowne Place development? One Ballsbridge is a separate development.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/developer-not-providing-social-housing-at-ballsbridge-site-1.3335690?mode=amp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Sounds like a win win... I can't understand why on earth we'd need social housing in balls bridge, when it can be provided for a fraction of the cost just a mile down the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,136 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Cyrus,

That was my understanding of this post:

My understanding is that a lot of people in Fb are on a lot more than 150k a year if that’s the average

Also they will be bringing people in for 3 and 6 month stints and need somewhere for them to stay

• Administrators Posts: 53,955 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The government, and the state, could not afford to build affordable housing in this location. It makes no sense whatsoever.

It would be a terrible waste of taxpayers money.

Cyrus wrote: »

My understanding is that a lot of people in Fb are on a lot more than 150k a year if that’s the average

Also they will be bringing people in for 3 and 6 month stints and need somewhere for them to stay

I would agree. I'd say theres people on a good few hundred grand in there. But the figures just still dont add up for me.

I could only see it for short term stuff with foreign workers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Bluefoam wrote:
    Sounds like a win win... I can't understand why on earth we'd need social housing in balls bridge, when it can be provided for a fraction of the cost just a mile down the road.

The only people taking about social housing are the ones afraid of having neighbors who drink a few cans over a weekend.
    This is about AFFORDABLE housing.
    Nobody is building apartments that people making €60,000/year can afford. The units "freed up" by people stupid enough to spend €72,000/year on rent are still not affordable by those making €60,000.
    The only housing coming onto the Irish market for YEARS now is only affordable to MD's and CTO's.
    Because none of the "middle earners" can move up into properties vacated by the really wealthy, nothing "trickles down" to those making €25-50k, and because of that nothing becomes available to county councils to buy up as council housing.
    Someone needs to build homes that people making €30k and making €60k can afford to buy or rent... but nobody is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

To be very blunt, we are not talking about apartments for average people

Someone needs to build homes that people making €30k and making €60k can afford to buy or rent... but nobody is.
    Who?

Developers are building in order to sell for a margin, as is the purpose of their business. The government can't, as FF governments separated social housing from the state, and now asset inflation has made it unviable to build affordable housing. The houses that are being built are being snapped up, so someone can afford them... The government have put together legislation in order to bring short term let's of residential property back to the residential market... These properties are currently being used as hotels, mostly without planning permission. Hopefully this will allow some of the 8000 homeless to be able to rent these properties and move out of the accomodation that they are currently being housed in. There is also a government directive to allow high-rise in certain areas, but it is not viable to developers, due to the prohibitive cost.

In my view, the HAP and social housing are driving the cost of housing upwards. The government needs to stop subsidising able labour. The central bank are artificially keeping the price of housing down... That can only last so long...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 EnlightenedApe

tigger123 wrote: »
    If you're working in Dublin on a short term contract (6 to 12 months) it would be an option.

Mod Note
    Civil please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭CPTM

For example, these would be for the top notch London executives who are relocating because of Brexit. They don't want to be dealing with the housing crisis over here so they'll rent these places for 6 months while they look for a house on millionaires row that they'll buy in cash. Then they'll move their family over. It's really nothing for those who don't have a salary but just profit of millions per year.

tigger123 wrote: »
    If you're working in Dublin on a short term contract (6 to 12 months) it would be an option.

What, shut up.
    Well constructed argument... I like how you match intelligence and witt to make a salient arguement. I'm sure that is also representative of your financial success and is a factor in your current living situation, whether an owner or tenant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,587 ✭✭✭✭ted1

A grand a day is 500 after tax, 2,500 per week... roughly 10k per month. 6k in rent would be 60% of their pay which would be very steep particularly with that sort of a wage.

If there was 2 people on that wage sharing an apartment I could understand, then its 30%. But people here are saying it's short term people using them not young families.... obviously someone will be paying it or it wouldn't be up. I'm just curious to know as I cant figure out who would afford it.

Contractors don’t work like PAYE. They are self employed and taxed differently. Rent may be provided. So a grand a day is not taxed at 52%

ted1 wrote: »
    Contractors don’t work like PAYE. They are self employed and taxed differently. Rent may be provided. So a grand a day is not taxed at 52%

If their business is set up as a company then they are not on "a grand a day". The company charges a grand a day and they get a different wage from the company. I would agree that these foreign workers with their employers able to expense the accommodation is "an option" for this price. I dont think it's a good option though.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭utmbuilder

Didn't they say the same about the grange in leapardstown took 5 years to fill the buildings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

utmbuilder wrote: »
    Didn't they say the same about the grange in leapardstown took 5 years to fill the buildings
    I guess the volume of units and the location considered, its not all that similar.

There are a lot of wealthy people working on short term contracts in that area of the city, I can see it working for that anyway.

The new short term letting rules have quite a low threshold to qualify, so these could easily suit 4-8 week lets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

They're likely for senior bankers fleeing brexit for whom money is no object.

The sad reality of modern hype-finance where CEOs earn hundreds if not thousands of times what the average employee earns.

Even at mid level they're in a parallel universe.

That's not reflecting the housing crisis tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

klaaaz wrote: »
    Affordable housing was the posters point. Affordable housing is for those earning under 58k for a singleton and under 75k for a couple. A person on 58k is not poor, they too cannot afford sky high rent and high house prices designed by and for the wealthy.
    My point was that the land alone wouldn't be cheap.

There are properties near there going for around the 2 and 7.5 million euro mark. Here's a small 2 bed going for close to €600,000. If the people want affordable housing, sure, but it won't be in one of the most expensive areas of Dublin, and expecting the government to buy the land there for low density semi-d's is laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Theres clever things at play in that.

The cleaning , catering, facilities, security, maintenance, IT Support, call centre etc... staff are just different companies contracted in to work there. Facebook itself out of a building of 1000 staff probably only directly employs 200 of those, of those 200 accountants, software engineers, researchers, directors, the CEO, director of sales etc... youd find that the 'lowest' sallaries there are likely 65-75k , that theres a fair few on those numbers and theres 10 people clearing half a mil to a million a year up the top, averages out to 154k but the reality is 1000 people of whome 900 are on half that or less.

Also with this craic about social housing in ballsbridge etc.. the reason all the best office space and most expensive land and housing is there is because theres a lack of social housing out there. You pay a premium not to live next to people who don't work and all the problems that brings with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

Theres clever things at play in that.

The cleaning , catering, facilities, security, maintenance, IT Support, call centre etc... staff are just different companies contracted in to work there. Facebook itself out of a building of 1000 staff probably only directly employs 200 of those, of those 200 accountants, software engineers, researchers, directors, the CEO, director of sales etc... youd find that the 'lowest' sallaries there are likely 65-75k , that theres a fair few on those numbers and theres 10 people clearing half a mil to a million a year up the top, averages out to 154k but the reality is 1000 people of whome 900 are on half that or less.

Also with this craic about social housing in ballsbridge etc.. the reason all the best office space and most expensive land and housing is there is because theres a lack of social housing out there. You pay a premium not to live next to people who don't work and all the problems that brings with it.

And got their gaff for free without doing a tap. most working poor can only dream of the luxury the unemployed enjoy every day. free gaff, free medical, free money..... my bleedin teeth are falling out, body wreaked from stress of working and breathing in diesel fumes on my commute, cant afford a doctor, live in the roughest kip in ireland, and have nothin left at the end of the month. then poeple want to be giving free apartment in ballsbridge to junkies? WTF.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭mkdon

jim-mcdee wrote: »
    And got their gaff for free without doing a tap. most working poor can only dream of the luxury the unemployed enjoy every day. free gaff, free medical, free money..... my bleedin teeth are falling out, body wreaked from stress of working and breathing in diesel fumes on my commute, cant afford a doctor, live in the roughest kip in ireland, and have nothin left at the end of the month. then poeple want to be giving free apartment in ballsbridge to junkies? WTF.

it is a joke that unemployed and social housing is anywhere near city centre

when will they be shipped out to at least outside the prime areas and city centre

that is the real problem but it's all too pc to mention that unemployed social housing have too much power in this country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

"Successful" and "selfish douchebag" do not need to be synonyms... sadly they are.

There attitude of "that's the government's job" is also nonsense.
    It's part of every Irish person's "job" as an Irish person to make sure that every Irish person has what we need at a minimum. We have a rapidly growing number of people who DO NOT have hissing available to them full stop.
    That is a crime against the Irish people, compounded by the flagrant profiteering by scumbag developers who aren't honoring their responsibility under law to provide a certain percentage is affordable housing, by "buying" their way out of that responsibility to their fellow Irish people.
    ...and you are part of the problem.

so what are you doing to provide hissing for your fellow irish people?

Advertisement