Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade Gaming PC

Options
  • 29-11-2018 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭

1. What is your budget? €5-700

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Yes

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5a. If yes, what size do you need n/a

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 1440p 60hz . Will be upgrading to 144hz sometime down the line.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes

8. How can you pay? Debit Card

9. When are you purchasing? Jan/Feb

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? No need

Current Specs
    Corsair 600T |
    i7 3770K |
    ASUS Maximus Formula V|
    Corsair H100i |
    8GB Corsair Vengance 1600MHz |
    Palit 1070 SuperJetStream |
    Corsair HX850 | 1TB Barracud 7200RPM |
    2TB Barracuda 7200RPM |
    256GB Samsung Pro SSD |
    Asus 27" asus PB278Q + 1 X23 HP |
    It seems the 3770k just isn't cutting it for the newer games any more even OC'd to 4.5Ghz, just not enough core's from what I've been reading.

I've been looking at reviews etc as it's been a while since I've built or spec'd a pc for someone hence the post.

It seems its a throw up between the 8600k and 2700 Ryzen OC'd at my resolution.

So many different boards to go with each I'm a bit lost. Would like a full ATX and at least 16GB, if I could get more I would be happy as I have Star Citizen and I only see the need for more ram to go up. Currently BFV is the reason for wanting the upgrade as the CPU is just holding me back.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I went for an 8600K in my new rig, hardware unboxed and gamers nexus both top hardware sources recommended the 8600K for BFV in recent videos/articles.
    Hardware Unboxed benchmarks showed AMD getting a pounding across the board in BFV but last time i checked the 8600K , 8700K were more expensive than AMDs equivalent, still however a 2700K would be fine for BFV if you want to go the AMD route especially for non gaming work.

If you go with the 8600K or 8700K you will need a Z370 board [should also work with Z390 boards afaik]

The newest intels CPU`s the i9 series are on the Z390 platform but some Z370 boards support them with a firmware update, i know my Z370 does.
    Worth noting barely any performance increase with i9/Z390 however so comes down to cost.

Im not sure about the AMD boards myself.

Maybe you just need a bundle?
    Loads of choice on scan and overclockers.

https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/overclocked-bundles/3xs-professionally-overclocked-intel-z370-bundles

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/bundles/tech-labs-motherboard-bundles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

A 3770K, especially at 4.5Ghz, is not holding you back in BF:V. What do you mean, holding you back? You could say it's holding you back in the sense you'll get 90fps instead of 110fps or whatever, but it's minor.

If you are actually having frame-drops >60 or whatever, there's something else at play. At 1440P 60hz, an OC'd 3770K is still an excellent CPU in any game...and still a solid CPU at stock speeds too.

I would say a Ryzen 2700 would not even be that much faster than a 3770K at 4.5Ghz.

Is your RAM a single stick of 8GB per chance? That's kill your BFV experience, game loves dual channel ram (so 2x8GB or 2x4GB, etc) and you will get drops to 40-50fps using a single stick of RAM.

I would say there's a good chance it's your RAM config. BFV runs fine on the 3770K well north of 60fps in a normal setup

Digital foundry mentioned the 3770K recently being still a very good CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Sell the 1070 & buy an RTX 2080, or a GTX 1080 Ti on the 2nd-hand market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I'm at 100% CPU usage on all cores running BFV

Some maps I can hit 70-90fps and on others it get frame drops ( Narvik) and stable 40fps.

Changing the settings isn't helping. Brother has a 2700x same GPU and has no problems and I've been reading that BFV likes more cores.

• Advertisement

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    I'm at 100% CPU usage on all cores running BFV

Some maps I can hit 70-90fps and on others it get frame drops ( Narvik) and stable 40fps.

Changing the settings isn't helping. Brother has a 2700x same GPU and has no problems and I've been reading that BFV likes more cores.

Is your ram a single stick? If so that's the issue. People will all kinds of processors have serious issues running in single channel. Even here on boards on the Battlefield forum.

Battlefield scales across cores but it's not the full story. A 3770k at 4.5ghz is still excellent and would be on par with something like a 2700. It's quad core but eight threads. The best balance in games is not cores but balance between cores, threads and clock speeds. It's why Intel is still broadly better in games than AMD.

In fact I've an i7-4790 and gtx1060 and the game never dips below 60, but I've dual channel ram. That wouldn't be any faster than your 3770k either.

edit: and without sounding patronizing, you're positive it's a 3770K and not a 3570K? What you're describing would be somewhat normal for a 3570K alright.

Look at this video comparing single channel v dual channel DDR4 3000Mhz. It's literally about 80% slower. In some scenes it's 75fps vs 140fps....and this with a killer 8600K OC'd and 1080Ti setup. It shows how sensitive BF5 is.

When you're using DDR3 1600mhz, running in single channel can have particularly dreadful performance hit in BF5, given the sharp drop way south of 60fps, literally down to 40/45fps often.

100% its a 3770k, not sure how I would make that mistake.

When I originally bought the board I had a problem with the ram and narrowed it down to a bent CPU socket pin. I tried to straighten it then and again today to no avail.

It will only POST with the two ram slots filled furthest from the CPU socket which means single channel is all I can use. I suppose I can try to pick up a cheap 1155 board on ebay, would be a cheaper option if it works out.

I'd say probably easier to just sell your board with the issue, plus the 8GB ram, should at least get 150 for the bundle. Running in single channel you're gonna have a bad time with quite a few games. You could pick up a 2nd hand S1155 board for about €40 off Ebay.

If budget's tight, a Ryzen 1600, 8GB DDR4 3000mhz and a basic A320M or B350M motherboard isn't too expensive, about €250. So considering what you'd get back, it'd only be an outlay of about €100 and you've got a modern platform.

So I decided to give fixing the pins another go.

Took the board out this time and using two phones ( light and zoom) and a stanley blade I got it sorted.

Threw the other original 8GB ram I bought at the time of building it and I'm at 16GB for the first time since '12

BFV running great even on Narvik with the lowest of 60 and highs of 90

04y03Bl.png

Thanks for the responses lads.

• Advertisement

No problemo, always good to hear success stories!

Enjoy :)

Yeah great little story :)

Advertisement