Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ceiling light wiring

Options
  • 29-11-2018 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭

We've had an ongoing issue with a ceiling light fixture killing light bulbs - the Philips energy saving CFLs don't last 12 months in the light fitting. My cousin is an electrician and has been promising to take a look at it for me but hasn't got around to it yet.

The bulb went again yesterday so this morning I decided to investigate the issue for myself. When I opened the ceiling rose to look at the wiring, I discovered that the fixture is wired differently to the other fixtures in the house.

Problematic fixture:
    8kuNxYB.jpg

Working fixture:
    b3uIxRx.jpg

To my untrained eye, it seems a relatively straight forward to change the wiring of the ceiling fixture once the power is off. There are two blue wires connected to the same terminal and the earth wire is not connected.

Is there any particular reason why the earth wire would not be connected to the ceiling fixture? I've checked the switch fixture and the earth wire isn't connected there either.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭tomplate

It should be connected

Leave it the way it is unless you're going to test it

Advertisement