Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Draft Never Cashed

Options
  • 29-11-2018 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

Hi there,

4 years ago I got a bank draft made payable to someone other than myself. It was never needed in the end but I never formally cancelled it as unfortunately, I always assumed the money had reverted to my account after the normal period of expiry. 

After examining old statements I now realise that this was not the case. I am absolutely distraught to think that I missed it at the time. 

I have read terms and conditions online but cannot find any information referencing limitation periods for claiming it back nor where exactly such monies would be held. 

I would really appreciate any information as to what steps I should take now to try and get it back.

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: John

Gryffindor wrote: »
    Hi there,

4 years ago I got a bank draft made payable to someone other than myself. It was never needed in the end but I never formally cancelled it as unfortunately, I always assumed the money had reverted to my account after the normal period of expiry. 

After examining old statements I now realise that this was not the case. I am absolutely distraught to think that I missed it at the time. 

I have read terms and conditions online but cannot find any information referencing limitation periods for claiming it back nor where exactly such monies would be held. 

I would really appreciate any information as to what steps I should take now to try and get it back.

Thank you.

Hi Gryffindor,

Thank you for contacting you today.

If the bank draft was purchased by yourself and is in Euro then all you have to do is bring it back to the Bank of Ireland branch you purchased it in and they will refund the amount to your account.

Many Thanks.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Gryffindor

Hi there,

Thank you.

Hi Gryffindor,

Thank you for contacting you today.

If the bank draft was purchased by yourself and is in Euro then all you have to do is bring it back to the Bank of Ireland branch you purchased it in and they will refund the amount to your account.

Many Thanks.

John
    Hi John,

Thanks for getting back to me so soon. I do not still have the original draft (it was destroyed) nor do I have a receipt. I only have the reference code from my statement. 

I am also not back in Ireland until December 18th so is there any way I can get it sorted without having to visit a branch i.e. email or phone? 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

The bank keeps the proof that you applied for a draft, called the draft requisition. If they check it out and can prove that the draft was never cashed, you may have a case. But I think it all depends on whether you signed the requisition at the time or not, and if it is proof positive that you were the purchaser of the draft. And it also depends if they dumped the requisitions , as it was 4 years ago. You might be wrecked by data protection rules

Ally Dick wrote: »
    The bank keeps the proof that you applied for a draft, called the draft requisition. If they check it out and can prove that the draft was never cashed, you may have a case. But I think it all depends on whether you signed the requisition at the time or not, and if it is proof positive that you were the purchaser of the draft. And it also depends if they dumped the requisitions , as it was 4 years ago. You might be wrecked by data protection rules
    Hi John,

Thanks for getting back to me so soon. I do not still have the original draft (it was destroyed) nor do I have a receipt. I only have the reference code from my statement. 

I am also not back in Ireland until December 18th so is there any way I can get it sorted without having to visit a branch i.e. email or phone? 

Hi Gryffindor,

Thanks for coming back to us with more information.

When you are home on the 18th December you will need to go into your Bank of Ireland Branch with photo ID and a print out of the statement showing the draft purchase and reference code. The staff in the branch should be able to locate this amount and see that it was never cashed. There is no way of getting this sorted over the phone or by email unfortunately - you need to go into your branch.

Many Thanks.

John

That's great thank you John. For my own peace of mind until then, given that the draft was purchased and signed my me (I know I signed the draft at the time but do not have proof of this other than the fact it was purchased from my own account) and I am the sole account holder, should there be any issue in tracing it given that it was four years ago? 

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

That's great thank you John. For my own peace of mind until then, given that the draft was purchased and signed my me (I know I signed the draft at the time but do not have proof of this other than the fact it was purchased from my own account) and I am the sole account holder, should there be any issue in tracing it given that it was four years ago? 
    On a point of order, you didn't sign the draft, the bank official did

Fair enough, bear in mind it was four years ago. To clarify, I think I might be getting confused with those dockets (draft order maybe? The ones that used to be available to fill in before you went to the desk) which I assumed included my signature. You're right in saying the clerk at the desk filled in the actual draft. 

What I know for sure is that I ordered the draft to be made payable from my own account. Whether I signed or not, I assume there shouldn't be a problem verifying that it was ordered by me as I am the sole account holder and no one else is authorised to deal with my account? 

I apologise for the numerous questions, I know this is all completely my own fault, but it's seriously worrying me!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

He would have signed the requisition, not the draft

Hi Gryffindor,

Thanks for coming back to us.

The draft amount will still be in a holding account because it was never cashed so if you bring in the statement showing date the funds left your account and the reference code the branch staff will be able to trace this. Also it is important that you bring in valid photo I.D. for identification and security purposes.

Many Thanks.

John

Advertisement