Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JC Subjects

Options
  • 29-11-2018 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭

Can all JC subjects be taken in higher and lower and some in foundation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

vicwatson wrote: »
    Can all JC subjects be taken in higher and lower and some in foundation?

No. Foundation was only available in Irish, English and Maths. Every other subject could be taken at Ordinary or Higher level. Except for CSPE which was common.

Now, as the new junior cycle is rolled out, foundation is being removed. Irish English and maths will remain the only subjects with two levels and every other subject will be common level.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Thanks

Has this already come into force i.e.the common level of all subjects bar I E & M?

Is CSPE an exam subject now?

apologies for sounding stupid, new to this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

No problem. It's being phased in, so this year's jc candidates will sit common level in business and science, and higher or ordinary in English (all other options will still have higher and ordinary and maths and Irish will have foundation). Them next year Art, Irish and languages will be added to that. The following year maths, music, history and geography.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Moody_mona wrote: »
    No. Foundation was only available in Irish, English and Maths. Every other subject could be taken at Ordinary or Higher level. Except for CSPE which was common.

Now, as the new junior cycle is rolled out, foundation is being removed. Irish English and maths will remain the only subjects with two levels and every other subject will be common level.

Isn't there some kind of basic course they can follow in Maths at least.I say this because I subbed in a school recently and some were working from Maths work books. I think there is some reference to this programme on the JCT website but I can't find it now. I am very much open to correction though! I find the new website hard to navigate and it's hard to easily locate info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Blaizes wrote: »
    Isn't there some kind of basic course they can follow in Maths at least.I say this because I subbed in a school recently and some were working from Maths work books. I think there is some reference to this programme on the JCT website but I can't find it now. I am very much open to correction though! I find the new website hard to navigate and it's hard to easily locate info.

Were they JCSP workbooks?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Were they JCSP workbooks?

Yes, maybe that is what they were.They were a resource group and the Maths was at a very basic level, what I would consider primary school Maths.I have kids in primary so would have an idea of what the level might be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Perhaps they were following a Level Two programme?

Advertisement