Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Insurance

Options
  • 29-11-2018 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭

Looked for a thread but could not see anything recent.

Any recommendations for who to go with for insurance?

I am hoping to get keys the end of next week so do we agree to start the insurance from that day or do we have to wait until keys are handed over?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

eoghan104 wrote: »

I am hoping to get keys the end of next week so do we agree to start the insurance from that day or do we have to wait until keys are handed over?

House insurance is like car insurance, it varies so much that theres no good company or bad company.

I may get a fantastic deal from Axa and you not, you may get a great deal from Aviva, and I may not.

Point being, you just have to call them all and get like for like quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

eoghan104 wrote: »

Get some quotes in advance of the date and you should be able to activate it for the following day or even on the day itself. If its mortgaged the bank may require you to have the insurance (and proof of this) before you draw down the money though so perhaps check that with the bank. So to save any grief get your quotes sorted out first well in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭eeinke

Any recommendations for who to go with for home insurance presently?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Waternotsoda

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

As per an above post, it varies person to person.

Get quotes from whoever you have your existing insurances with (car, health etc) as they usually do combination discounts if you have a policy with them already, check out quotes from your bank as well as some providers give first time buyers discounts.

There is no preferred provider, someone might get an excellent deal with the AA and someone else might get a better deal with Bank of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

I've found going through Allianze via EBS new customer discount to be cheapest each year i priced around. Blue insurance always comes in competitively too for me. Haven't priced this year yet however and haven't ever made a clain so cant judge customer service for sorting things out when they go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I've everything with Aviva, they do some good discounts if you have other products.

Advertisement