Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom.net emails with Vodafone the ISP

Options
  • 29-11-2018 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Vodafone is my ISP. I have an eircom.net email account through which I'm using Microsoft Outlook. I can receive emails but cant send them as its not recognising the smtp. mail.vodafone.ie. I tried changing the smtp to mail1.eir.ie and mail1.eircom.net but neither works. Does anybody know what my smtp should be then given that I'm using an eircom.net email account and Vodafone is my ISP?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

mcardler wrote: »
    Vodafone is my ISP. I have an eircom.net email account through which I'm using Microsoft Outlook. I can receive emails but cant send them as its not recognising the smtp. mail.vodafone.ie. I tried changing the smtp to mail1.eir.ie and mail1.eircom.net but neither works. Does anybody know what my smtp should be then given that I'm using an eircom.net email account and Vodafone is my ISP?

I have the same problem but with an IOL email address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

This has come up a few times. Vodafone closed their SMTP server last November.
    email-relay notice
    I suggest you use Google's SMTP server (outgoing mail server). You'll need a Gmail account to authenticate only on their server but your email will still come from your eircom.net address.
    Again, the Gmail account is only for authenticating purposes to allow you relay your eircom.net on the Gmail servers.

You'll not need to ever worry about what ISP you use again.

It really is time to migrate from this service.

There is no SPF record published for the domain, let alone DKIM/DMARC...

Most SPAM filters (Barracuda,etc) will mark it as SPAM.

Let alone trusting transmitting information over an ISP SMTP relay or any other MTA using port 25 (unencrypted).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

NoDrama wrote: »
    It really is time to migrate from this service.

There is no SPF record published for the domain, let alone DKIM/DMARC...

Most SPAM filters (Barracuda,etc) will mark it as SPAM.

Let alone trusting transmitting information over an ISP SMTP relay or any other MTA using port 25 (unencrypted).

I have had my iol.ie email address for years and would not like to lose it. As well as that, I do not send that many emails from that account, and they are not serious ones.

So what am I risking?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I have had my iol.ie email address for years and would not like to lose it. As well as that, I do not send that many emails from that account, and they are not serious ones.

So what am I risking?

anyone using iol, oceanfree or eircom etc.. as an email address is at full liability that one day they will just be turned off , you have absolutely no guarantee on them at all. The days of unauthenticated SMTP are numbered very quickly .

Anyone with one of the 'old world' services as above , I would set up a gmail or outlook.com email account and set up a forward from your old account to it , then over time as you reply and change things you'll move away from the old account.

businesses should buy a domain and an office365 licence and have a propper email address for their business.

The clock is ticking for those 90s throwback freemail accounts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement