Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY External Filter

• 29-11-2018 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi guys,

So I've been owning a Fluval U2 for almost a year and a half. Quiet good but its a nightmare to clean...

I was thinking of building myself an external hang on filter. Not sure if its gonna be a trickle system or more towards the sump version.

I couldn't find an acrylic sheet in my town. I went to my local co-op and I got offered a plastic sheet with dimensions of 3 x 4 foot by 4mm thickness. Its an clear plastic.

So here's my question, can I use this plastic sheet or should I order the acrylic one of the internet ? What else do I need ?
    I do have ceramic media for bio filtration, I have Fluval Bio max too, Sponges too. I guess I'd have to use a aquarium safe silicon for this, should I get carbon for this ?

What pump would be the best for this, I have 80L tank. If U2 is able to filter my tank 5 times per hour I've presume something with output of 400L per H would be suitable for this type of application.

Advertisement