Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Contruction Worker

• 29-11-2018 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi,

I read that the minimum salary as construction worker without experience is 13.77e/h.
    After 1 year, it can go up to 17e/h.

Is that really true?

I'm thinking of getting a safe pass and starting to look for a job in construction.

I have no previous experience on construction sites, but I think there's still plenty of time to learn everything. (I'm 28)

(I'm not sure did I choose the right topic, sorry if I didn't)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Bobo2606 wrote: »
    Hi,

I read that the minimum salary as construction worker without experience is 13.77e/h.
    After 1 year, it can go up to 17e/h.

Is that really true?

I'm thinking of getting a safe pass and starting to look for a job in construction.

I have no previous experience on construction sites, but I think there's still plenty of time to learn everything. (I'm 28)

(I'm not sure did I choose the right topic, sorry if I didn't)

I don't have union rates on me but just under 14 does sound right for min labourer rate.

Now there is scope to go up but
    1. You need to find an employer to give you the start direct
    2. You need to be able to work

Lot of employers only go through agency these days. No chance of a pay rise when in through agency. In no ones interest to give you one.

A lot of lads think they are able to work for the day. They don't realise how transparent it is to a foreman or manager of years of experience when they aren't. But bear in mind most of these lads appreciate nothing more than a guy who learns fast and carries out instructions to a tee.

Most decent lads on site show up every single day early. They are almost never off sick and they never leave if there's a job to finish in particular any type concrete.

Examples of best labourers I've had....

Lad in Dublin last year. Offered to come in 30mins early for free to open up and fuel all generators etc. Warned foreman ahead when getting low on petrol/diesel and reminded him at tea. Made sure anything we used during the day was clean going away, eg shovels after concrete. Never moaned about the dirty useless boys who left the gear dirty
    Foreman got him taken on directly after he started agency. All simple stuff done well.

Lad in east London around Olympics.
    After any tea or lunch gave canteen a once over as we went back out. Cleaned toilets if cleaner was no show. And then an animal around any hand digging. Be 3 lads with hands in pockets and him bulling through it. Always in the middle of concrete pour with poker, screed or shovel. He was on a better day rate than the chippies...and no trade.

Otherside.....without the attitude you might last while bodies are needed. Foreman will know who's for gate once things get slack. Word travels fast outside Dublin on who's useful and who's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Bobo2606

I don't have union rates on me but just under 14 does sound right for min labourer rate.

Now there is scope to go up but
    1. You need to find an employer to give you the start direct
    2. You need to be able to work

Lot of employers only go through agency these days. No chance of a pay rise when in through agency. In no ones interest to give you one.

A lot of lads think they are able to work for the day. They don't realise how transparent it is to a foreman or manager of years of experience when they aren't. But bear in mind most of these lads appreciate nothing more than a guy who learns fast and carries out instructions to a tee.

Most decent lads on site show up every single day early. They are almost never off sick and they never leave if there's a job to finish in particular any type concrete.

Examples of best labourers I've had....

Lad in Dublin last year. Offered to come in 30mins early for free to open up and fuel all generators etc. Warned foreman ahead when getting low on petrol/diesel and reminded him at tea. Made sure anything we used during the day was clean going away, eg shovels after concrete. Never moaned about the dirty useless boys who left the gear dirty
    Foreman got him taken on directly after he started agency. All simple stuff done well.

Lad in east London around Olympics.
    After any tea or lunch gave canteen a once over as we went back out. Cleaned toilets if cleaner was no show. And then an animal around any hand digging. Be 3 lads with hands in pockets and him bulling through it. Always in the middle of concrete pour with poker, screed or shovel. He was on a better day rate than the chippies...and no trade.

Otherside.....without the attitude you might last while bodies are needed. Foreman will know who's for gate once things get slack. Word travels fast outside Dublin on who's useful and who's not.

Thx for the huge reply! :)
    How many hours per day/week could I expect as a full time worker?
    Also I was wondering, what about rainy days? Does construction site operate normally?
    Thx

• Registered Users Posts: 31 lomadesigns

Normal construction hours are 8am-5pm

Where are you based ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭C3PO

The problem is that when the next recession arrives (and it will!) you will very quickly be out of work and at 28 you have about 15 years where you can handle hard physical work on a day in, day out basis! Much better to try and learn a skill now that will stand to you for the next 40 years that you will need to work!

• Advertisement

Normal construction hours are 8am-5pm

Where are you based ?

I'm in Dublin atm, but I'm looking to relocate somewhere ( around Waterford, Cork probably) .

C3PO wrote: »
    The problem is that when the next recession arrives (and it will!) you will very quickly be out of work and at 28 you have about 15 years where you can handle hard physical work on a day in, day out basis! Much better to try and learn a skill now that will stand to you for the next 40 years that you will need to work!

Smart thinking! Thx for the advice.

Advertisement