Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tumble drier trips main RCBO but not straight away..

Options
  • 29-11-2018 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭

Any idea? We have it unplugged.

Beko condensor drier. Works away for about 30 mins then trips. Socket and plug are quite hot to touch at the time of tripping.

Turn off drier, reset RCBO, and once the cycle tries again it trips immediately.
    (The drier can be turned on without tripping, immediately after the RCBO is reset. As soon as the program resumes, it trips)

We're renting so we're go arrange for the landlord to get someone out to sort it but I was wondering what causes it to work fine for 30 off minutes and then trip immediately when it's turned back on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Batzoo

Hot sockets and plugs are bad and usually mean too much current/load is being drawn from the circuit. I don't know if this heat is something that was always there which would mean the circuit is under-specced for the device or more likely the condenser drier has developed a fault.

I am only guessing here but it sounds like the later. Possibly(most likely) the heater element has gone faulty and is drawing more current than it should and causing the circuit to trip.

Also do you have the model number of the drier just in case the landlord put some unsuitable industrial monster in your place ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

Thanks for that. It's a DCU7230W. We rarely use it.

We have a clothes horse and use that instead. Only use the drier when we've a lot of towels or just back from a holiday.

It's always tripped out to be honest. Just never got around to getting the landlord out about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

That thing is a housefire waiting to happen, get rid of it and new dryers are not expensive nowadays. I keep my dryer in the shed and I would never turn on a dryer and leave it unaccompanied if it was in a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thanks for that. It's a DCU7230W. We rarely use it.
    Programme Duration (Min) 121
    Energy Consumption per cycle (kWh/cycle) 4.15
    Drum Volume (litres) 102
    Amperage (A) 11,5
    Annual Energy Consumption (kWh/year) 504
    Total Power (W) 2700
    Motor Wattage (W) 200
    Voltage/Frequency 230-240 V / 50 Hz
    Operating noise level - dB(A) 66
    Heater Wattage Max (W) 2300

It shouldn't trip a 13A circuit so either its over or the installation in the house is under. Is it perhaps sharing with your fridge that would be going on/off?

Advertisement