Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi apps for Galway?

Options
  • 29-11-2018 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,608 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have only ever used Uber in the states. And don’t think it works in Galway.

What is the best app to use for Galway?
    Kinda for city and county.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

obi604 wrote: »
    Hi

I have only ever used Uber in the states. And don’t think it works in Galway.

What is the best app to use for Galway?
    Kinda for city and county.

ProCabs have an app, and use flat fares! Much cheaper than any alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 5,608 ✭✭✭obi604

KingJamsie wrote: »
    ProCabs have an app, and use flat fares! Much cheaper than any alternative

Thanks.

Had a quick gander at ‘mytaxi’
    And seems like dosent even show the fare......so you won’t know the cost in advance.

My only experience was Uber and it showed the cost in advance.

Do the ones in Ireland generally not do that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Galway Taxis have one too . They have more cars than the others. Ive not used it myself. Have used mytaxi, its ok.

Fares in advance not common here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Most cabs are metered and run on how long you are in the taxi rather than distance travelled. (probably best you don't take one at peak times.)

So sounds like you cannot get an estimate of the cost before you travel.

Just book and get in and then it’s just your normal taxi meter scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

flazio wrote: »
    Most cabs are metered and run on how long you are in the taxi rather than distance travelled. (probably best you don't take one at peak times.)

All taxis in Ireland are metered and it's a combination of how far you travel and the time in the cab. If the taxi's moving it's charging per km, if it's stopped it's a per min charge.

TFI (Transport for Ireland) have a taxi fare estimator :

https://www.transportforireland.ie/taxi/taxi-fare-estimator/

Eircode works in this : so just type in say A991234 Galway as the address.

Rates:

https://www.transportforireland.ie/fares/taxi/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Galway Taxis have one too . They have more cars than the others. Ive not used it myself. Have used mytaxi, its ok.

Fares in advance not common here.

I've used Galway Taxis too. No problems with it.

I think the likes of MyTaxi add on additional €2 charge for the customer and also charge a commission from the driver.

More q’s. So seems with ‘mytaxi’, you enter in your credit card and that is the preferred payment method and no cash needed.

With Galway taxis, pro cab, bigo etc......can you just do like above or is it a cash scenario?

Galway Taxis app, you can choose your method of payment at the time of booking

You could always just install each app and try them out, save yourself a whole lot of time and questions

Galway Taxis app, you can choose your method of payment at the time of booking

You could always just install each app and try them out, save yourself a whole lot of time and questions

Could. But then have to register and all that with each company and give personal details etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I never used anything else but hailo/mytaxi app and have had no issues at all.
    I only use the cash option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

You should be able to find promo codes for your first fare on MyTaxi - I think HELLOMYTAXI10 should give you €10 off at the moment. Generally no minimum spend and you need to select card as payment method.
    igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I think the likes of MyTaxi add on additional €2 charge for the customer and also charge a commission from the driver.

MyTaxi do now charge the standard taxi €2 booking fee (same as if you ring for a taxi), it gets added onto the meter as an extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I'm somewhat of an idiot when it comes to technology and it all seems beyond me I'm afraid. There's about four (?) taxi companies in Galway so if you use the mytaxi app where does the taxi come from? Do you have any choice in which company is used?

bobbyss wrote: »
    I'm somewhat of an idiot when it comes to technology and it all seems beyond me I'm afraid. There's about four (?) taxi companies in Galway so if you use the mytaxi app where does the taxi come from? Do you have any choice in which company is used?

There are also lots of independents. When I was using myTaxi/Halo, I got a lot of independents.

And no, you don't get a choice of drivers - although you can cancel the one you are offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I use Mytaxi and it works well most of the time. The only problem times are Friday & Saturday nights when you're looking for a taxi home between 1.30am and 3am. As it's mainly used by independent drivers, most of them turn it off during these hours, as there's way more money to be made on shorter journeys around town rather than a long journey to somewhere in the county.

There are also lots of independents. When I was using myTaxi/Halo, I got a lot of independents.

And no, you don't get a choice of drivers - although you can cancel the one you are offered.

What I mean is this.
    I use a taxi very regularly. I always phone them up and book one. Simple as that. I dont need an app to do that. However I don't use the same company every time I book a taxi so I vary it. Sometimes I use company X three or four times in a row but then I will use a company Y for the same duration.
    Using an app may mean I end up with a taxi from company X which I don't want. That make sense?
    When you say independent what do you mean? A Hackney?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

What I mean is this.
    I use a taxi very regularly. I always phone them up and book one. Simple as that. I dont need an app to do that. However I don't use the same company every time I book a taxi so I vary it. Sometimes I use company X three or four times in a row but then I will use a company Y for the same duration.
    Using an app may mean I end up with a taxi from company X which I don't want. That make sense?
    When you say independent what do you mean? A Hackney?

She means the private ones that don't operate out of an office (radio) ie: Big O, Galway Taxis etc.
    A lot of the independent ones do not work with a company but have signed up with Hailo (or what ever it's called now). Those are the ones that have mobile numbers or no number at all on the roof as opposed to 585858/561111 etc.

What I mean is this.
    I use a taxi very regularly. I always phone them up and book one. Simple as that. I dont need an app to do that. ..... Using an app may mean I end up with a taxi from company X which I don't want.

The advantage of using an app is that thw GPS let's you see exactly where your taxi is right now: when s/he says "I'm 5 minutes away" you know if they're lying or not.

I reallt cannot see what companies have to do with anything.

dilallio wrote:
    I use Mytaxi and it works well most of the time. The only problem times are Friday & Saturday nights when you're looking for a taxi home between 1.30am and 3am. As it's mainly used by independent drivers, most of them turn it off during these hours, as there's way more money to be made on shorter journeys around town rather than a long journey to somewhere in the county.

How exactly does it work? If I want to book a taxi for tomorrow what information will it give me? For example does it say John Murphy is your taxi driver or does it say a taxi from Big O will collect you or your taxi will collect you. Do I have any say in who is collecting me?
    If I phone a taxi myself I am the one who decides which company I use though not the driver necessarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I have found all the apps to be a massive disappointment so have taken to ringing up now and ignoring them.
    If you call bigO taxis you get a tracking link in a text which is handy.

I found a lot of drivers in mytaxi etc did not know where they were going, couldn't find me, didn't know where I wanted to go was, would accept my fare and then I'd see the cab sail past where I was on the app in order to pick someone else up while I was left waiting. I've had a cab accept the fare in the estate next to mine, then appear in town. When I've rang to ask if its a mistake I've been told "oh I'm getting to you after I did this... Just wait half an hour".
    So I've given up. Grand if your just going into town, useless if its an appointment or anything important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bearclaire

The advantage of using an app is that thw GPS let's you see exactly where your taxi is right now: when s/he says "I'm 5 minutes away" you know if they're lying or not.

I reallt cannot see what companies have to do with anything.

I Work for One of the Larger Companies in Galway City
    And We Don’t Lie when we tell a customer it’s 5 Mins Away we Use GPS and Check where the Car is and give them a Accurate location.

Radio’s aren’t used anymore.
    And Driving for a company Drivers have a lot more Checks done on themselves and there Vehicles
    Also booking through a company if you loose anything or need a special request you have a point of contact which MyTaxi doesn’t Provide

All about personal preference

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I find myTaxi to be a rip-off, somehow.

myTaxi fare: 11-12 euro
    Hailed Taxi: 7 euro

(Same pick-up / drop off, night time)

myTaxi drivers always add on the 2 euro (eventhough it's not mandatory). I've also had, on several occasions, had myTaxi drivers try to take the long way... one took the p1ss so much one day, he said he'd give me a 2 euro discount. Told him to stop (was close to the destination), got out and walked away... he didn't chase me for payment (he was told twice that he was taking the p1ss on his suggested route)

I'm done with myTaxi in Galway, but it's very handy when abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bearclaire

JohnCleary wrote: »

myTaxi drivers always add on the 2 euro (eventhough it's not mandatory). I've also had, on several occasions, had myTaxi drivers try to take the long way... one took the p1ss so much one day, he said he'd give me a 2 euro discount. Told him to stop (was close to the destination), got out and walked away... he didn't chase me for payment (he was told twice that he was taking the p1ss on his suggested route)

Price Difference is Because of the Call Out Charge which can vary

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

JohnCleary wrote: »

Did you report him/her to the regulator?

Advertisement