Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vendor wont take less than asking price - should I outbid myself ?

• 30-11-2018 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

I am currently the only bidder on a property in a popular area that is on the market 2 weeks. I really like and want this one so I put in an offer 15k under asking price as it does need a new kitchen and some light repairs.

I was expecting a bidding war of the usual 2k upwards.. however a week later the EA tells me the seller wont accept less than asking price. So this could be totally genuine or the EA could be just trying to get me up!

If I knew the seller would accept and go sale agreed immediately on asking price I would happily offer it. I would not like to offer it then be left sitting waiting for higher bidders an im after launching the current only bid up 15k extra.

Would it be wise for me to ask the EA "is the seller willing to go sale agreed if offered asking price today" ? if he says yes happy days if he says no hes gonna hold out then why should I increase my bid

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

Or offer asking price and say it us valid for x days, after which it us withdrawn (and be prepared to follow through)

Also stress that this is only one of the properties you are bidding on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

I wouldn't offer and let it stand for a period of time.

I'd ring the estate agent and say you'll offer the asking price if they agree to take it off the market. If estate agent confirms, you can then offer the asking and sale agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Or offer asking price and say it us valid for x days, after which it us withdrawn (and be prepared to follow through)

Might also be an idea to show interest in others properties from other estate agency's. Many EA know each other

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I'd ring the estate agent and say you'll offer the asking price if they agree to take it off the market. If estate agent confirms, you can then offer the asking and sale agreed
    This is exactly what we did last December. Only bidders and we offered the asking price if it came off the market. Got the keys valentines day :)
    Best move we ever made considering the house we got compared to some of the ones we were outbid on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

Go with this advise

Do not go with this, your bid will only be used as bait for others coming in, even if technically your bid is withdrawn, you'll be quoted as the highest bidder to interested parties. In the current market those whom are interested will be interested in the property at asking price and a certain amount above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Blazedup

Can you approach the owner?
    Put that to him
    Get their name on land registry or ask the neighbors for contact details?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Offer what you are willing to pay and if not accepted walk away. Dont tolerate any estate agent bolixology about new bids etc.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

If you really want the place, then you could offer the asking price on the condition that the property be withdrawn from the market immediately.

I was in a similar situation, only it had gone on about 4 weeks, and we were the only bidders in at 10k below the asking price and the vendors wouldn't budge on it. We were getting phone calls from the EA every couple of days asking would we like to increase our bid and it was wrecking our heads, and all the while we were waiting, other properties in the area were increasing in price. We decided that if we offered the asking price, we didn't want to be hanging around for another 4 weeks and potentially have another bidder enter and price us out and we'd be back to square one, but that if they didn't accept the asking price offer, then we'd walk away and find something else.

I rang the estate agent that morning and said that we were prepared to offer the asking price, but that we wanted a response by close of business that day, and if the offer was accepted, the property was to be taken off the market, including all internet ads etc. They rang me back less than an hour later to say the vendor accepted the offer, and when I checked the internet that evening, it was gone from daft and myhome etc.

It turned out, in our case, that the vendors were getting divorced, and needed to achieve that particular asking price because they needed to clear the mortgage and joint debts so they could go their separate ways. It could be that your estate agent is just getting you to try and increase your offer because they've told the seller that they'll be able to sell the property for them at that price, or it could be that the seller genuinely won't accept less than the asking price - they may need to get that figure or higher to be able to buy another property, or to clear the mortgage outstanding on the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CandyButcher

Thanks all for the quick replies.. I am thinking of going with this advice

Does anyone see a reason why I should not ?

should I also wait a number of days to put this to the EA so I don't seem to egar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

We bought in 2012 when the market was still falling, we'd offered 312K they wanted in the 320's the asling was 329, we offered 320 bidding against ourselves. But we got it. Only offer what you think its worth don't go more without a very strong reason. What do you know about the seller, is it a probate sale or are they trading up or down. Is there a mortgage where they have to get at least x or the bank won't agree to the sale.

If I were you I'd up my offer to the asking if you think it is work it or i'd come up 7500 and meet them in the middle stress this compromise and why you think it is fair, the house needs some work...

Make the offer conditional on it coming off the market and use a friend as a secret shopper to verify that.

By the end of December we'll now if it's a deal or no deal brexit. Will this affect the market? Ask the EA if they can close before brexit or do they want to hang around?

• Advertisement

We bought in 2012 when the market was still falling, we'd offered 312K they wanted in the 320's the asling was 329, we offered 320 bidding against ourselves. But we got it. Only offer what you think its worth don't go more without a very strong reason. What do you know about the seller, is it a probate sale or are they trading up or down. Is there a mortgage where they have to get at least x or the bank won't agree to the sale.

If I were you I'd up my offer to the asking if you think it is work it or i'd come up 7500 and meet them in the middle stress this compromise and why you think it is fair, the house needs some work...

Make the offer conditional on it coming off the market and use a friend as a secret shopper to verify that.

By the end of December we'll now if it's a deal or no deal brexit. Will this affect the market? Ask the EA if they can close before brexit or do they want to hang around?

All I know about the seller is they he/she is currently renting the property out so may not be in a rush to sell for less than asking price. You make a valid point, the EA is either legit or just trying to get my bid up.

If I let my bid sit on the gamble that he is bluffing, then I run risk of other bidders coming in oppose to offering asking on the basis it comes off the market.

Offering an extra 7.5k.. the EA clearly said the will not accept less than asking so I dont know if this would be a waste of time

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

All I know about the seller is they he/she is currently renting the property out so may not be in a rush to sell for less than asking price. You make a valid point, the EA is either legit or just trying to get my bid up.

If you are buying with a mortgage ensure you are guaranteed vacant possession as most banks won't let you draw down with a sitting tenant. If you are a cash buyer, has the tenant been given the correct notice, you don't want to be stuck in a waiting game for months.

pc7 wrote: »
    If you are buying with a mortgage ensure you are guaranteed vacant possession as most banks won't let you draw down with a sitting tenant. If you are a cash buyer, has the tenant been given the correct notice, you don't want to be stuck in a waiting game for months.

I am buying with a mortgage.. I actually never thought about vacant possession

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I am buying with a mortgage.. I actually never thought about vacant possession

Get legal advise from your Solicitor and talk to bank/broker, but I don't think you should buy with tenants in situ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,258 ✭✭✭limnam

You're not really outbidding yourself

You're been clearly told the price the house will sell for.

If they're genuine just make the offer and rock on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

My parents sold their house in a very sought after neighborhood. They have a viewing a couple hours after they informed the estate agent. Those people put in a bid and my parents just said if they match the asking price now its theirs, quick sale, no fuss. Buyer offered asking and the deal was closed before the house even got close to being listed.

Some people are honest and put an asking piece which they expect to get. they aren't looking for more so if you offer asking and request a quick closure if you do then sometimes that it, as far as the seller is concerned the deal is made. Unfortunately this isn't always the case.

In this case the sitting tenants are the biggest concern.

In this case the sitting tenants are the biggest concern.

I just spoke to an experienced landlord and he said its is all part of the solicitors work and in the contract that the property is vacated before money gets transferred. There are plenty of properties on viewing with tenants in them

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭KFed

Yeah it'll be a condition that you get the place with vacant possession.

As regards outbidding yourself and agents trying to up the price, I don't think agents bother trying to force up the price. Their fees are normally a fixed perectnage, e.g. 1% so if the bid goes up 5k they stand to gain 50e. It's not worth their time and they won't waste time on it.

Unless, the vendor has clearly articulated a floor price. This may be the asking. The vendor may feel, it's worth at least this and I'm nor selling below that value. Or they may need to achieve at least that price in order to move to a new Home they themselves are targeting.

I have refused to bid against myself before, being highest bidder but not enough for vendor, and vendor offered if I met asking he'd sale agree. I figured the bidding must have been out of steam and if I held out id likely get it. Wrong, the bids duly emerged and it went over asking and out of my budget too!

If you can afford the asking, if you think that is fair value to you, I'd agree with meeting the ask in condition it goes sale agreed immediately and taken off the market also.

That being said, are there other houses at that price you can target? Not sure the difference from bid to asking, but if your budget is the asking, do other houses look more attractive in comparison? If it needs minor work it's not like you need to throw a fortune more at it so you'd know your Costs now fairly well to close and be done with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Might also be an idea to show interest in others properties from other estate agency's. Many EA know each other

All ea know each other and call each other for valuations and other stuff about properties. They don’t keep tabs on people bidding though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

You can play agents at their own game especially if you think you have offered market price. Remember, if this is in Dublin, the market is stagnant.

Check property price register for sale prices of similar properties.

So on to playing the agent.
    Get two couples you know well to show interest in the property, view it and in different ways get them to suggest to the agent that they think its overpriced and for both to suggests that they would be interested at a price about 10k or 15k under what you have offered.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Blazedup wrote: »
    Can you approach the owner?
    Put that to him
    Get their name on land registry or ask the neighbors for contact details?

The o/p has been introduced to the property by the EA on condition that all negotiations are conducted through the EA. Approaching the owner directly can mean that the o/p will be out of the picture altogether if the owner won't deal and reports the attempted deal to the EA.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I just spoke to an experienced landlord and he said its is all part of the solicitors work and in the contract that the property is vacated before money gets transferred. There are plenty of properties on viewing with tenants in them

The flipside of the coin- is the tenant may decide to play the system. If you include the numerous appeals and all the processes and mechanisms- it can take up to 2 years to finally exhaust all mechanisms at the tenant's disposal. It is a bad idea to even look at properties that the tenant is still in- as you have no idea whatsoever- when the property will actually be available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

So on to playing the agent.
    Get two couples you know well to show interest in the property, view it and in different ways get them to suggest to the agent that they think its overpriced and for both to suggests that they would be interested at a price about 10k or 15k under what you have offered.

Do people actually do this? That's disgusting to be honest.

GingerLily wrote: »

Why is it disgusting. It’s a tactic that some people no doubt play. Doubtful it will work but at the end of the day the owner decides on final price they will accept

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

GingerLily wrote: »
    It's a tactic commonly used (and to some extent encouraged by some housing charities)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

In other countries you can get properties for below the asking price. Here is is considered rude to offer the asking price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭appledrop

We are selling at moment + will only sell if asking price is reached simple as that. Now the house is realisticially price. In fact some have sold for €5,000 more. So just be prepared that if it is a realistic asking peice vendors can just hang onto it.

I think my question has been answered about what how to approach the bidding but a big concern is the current tenants, it’s frightening that I could be sold the home then have tenants I cant get to leave!

I will need to ring a solicitor and find out what happens in these situations

I think my question has been answered about what how to approach the bidding but a big concern is the current tenants, it’s frightening that I could be sold the home then have tenants I cant get to leave!

The bank will insist on vacant possession.
    You won't be given the mortgage money until the bank know the tenant is gone.

• Advertisement

In your contract you would stipulate lending tenants leaving. Banks won’t lend to you unless it’s btl with tenants in situ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Don't play silly games or make ultimatums. Ask the estate agent if the vendor has a target price, then evaluate that price and decide if it is value to you. You can still offer less, but at risk of not getting the property. It's only been on the market for two weeks, so the seller may have patience and hold out for more... It is coming up to Christmas, so buyers may be quiet/holding out until next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The wife and I recently found the house we love and tried to even get €500 off and not a chance.

We accepted it and said right we will go at x amount which was asking price and boom it's ours.

Look we could have been fooked over or not we will never know but we are very happy and hope to get keys very soon.

Best of luck op.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

As has been said several times, you will not be officially sold the home until the tenants are gone. You may go Sale Agreed and exchange contracts etc but the bank will not issue the funds until theyve left. Their leaving date will inform the closing date which will be stated in the contracts.

Before making any more bids, ask if they've been given their notice, and ask if they've been given a statutory declaration that the house is being sold. This is a legally binding document that prevents the current owner from pretending to sell in order to replace the tenants and up the rent. If this document hasn't been issued, the tenants' notice period restarts when it is issued.

The tenants are entitled to 4 weeks notice per year that they've been living there, and given the current housing crisis, they may well overhold/stay beyond their leaving date. At no point will you become their landlord, but they can delay things as long as they choose to stay on.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭fungie

We are in a similar situation. Viewed a place with not too much interest but we liked it. We were first bid so put in bid about 10% below asking. came about this figure is that most places will sell +- 10% asking.

Vendor says he won't accept anything less than asking but I know he buying new house in the new year so needs to sell. I'd be happy to meet him halfway between my bid and asking if it gets it done but if not, I won't up my bid unless a new bidder comes in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

fungie wrote: »
    We are in a similar situation. Viewed a place with not too much interest but we liked it. We were first bid so put in bid about 10% below asking. came about this figure is that most places will sell +- 10% asking.

Vendor says he won't accept anything less than asking but I know he buying new house in the new year so needs to sell. I'd be happy to meet him halfway between my bid and asking if it gets it done but if not, I won't up my bid unless a new bidder comes in.

If a new bidder were to come in it could go much higher.

Do you really want it and is it worth losing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭fungie

If a new bidder were to come in it could go much higher.

Do you really want it and is it worth losing?

We want it but don't want to spend more than necessary. If a new bidder was to come in we would set a max figure and not budge on it. If they bid more, they clearly valued it higher.

It's not our house to lose, I view it as gaining a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Mr Grumpy

Toots wrote: »
    If you really want the place, then you could offer the asking price on the condition that the property be withdrawn from the market immediately.

We did something similar and it was going grand until the day we went to sign. We were gazumped by £20k. We were at the top of our budget and couldn't match or beat it. We'd paid deposits on furniture that we ended up losing. Seller was technically within his rights to do it but him and the EA will forever remain c*nts in my heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

That’s bad form all round, so you were sale agreed at x price and then at contract signing time a new bid came on and they accepted it... really poor from EA, I know it’s not 100% until contracts are signed but should be a bit of fairness too, once it’s sale agreed at x price.

Hope you got something else in the end.

We have gone sale agreed and are worrying something like this will happen as well, we want to start buying furniture and household stuff in January sales but I think we should hold back until officially signed contracts, especially after reading this!
    Mr Grumpy wrote: »
    We did something similar and it was going grand until the day we went to sign. We were gazumped by £20k. We were at the top of our budget and couldn't match or beat it. We'd paid deposits on furniture that we ended up losing. Seller was technically within his rights to do it but him and the EA will forever remain c*nts in my heart.

bri007 wrote: »
    That’s bad form all round, so you were sale agreed at x price and then at contract signing time a new bid came on and they accepted it... really poor from EA, I know it’s not 100% until contracts are signed but should be a bit of fairness too, once it’s sale agreed at x price.

Hope you got something else in the end.

We have gone sale agreed and are worrying something like this will happen as well, we want to start buying furniture and household stuff in January sales but I think we should hold back until officially signed contracts, especially after reading this!

Tbh. Its his own fault. Unless contracta are signed. Both parties can back out. Iv experienced both sides of the coin in this happening for various reasons. Would you start a new job in another country and move there before signing your contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Mr Grumpy

bri007 wrote: »

We were the only bid, it was off the market, driving to solicitors office to sign and got a call from EA. EA said the vendor had accepted a higher offer and unless we could match or beat it then that was it. Had to bite the solicitors fees on that.

Also happened here in Ireland to me. Agreed price, off the market. Had survey done, all going rosy and then vendor pulled out with no reason. Survey and solicitors fees on that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,678 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Valid for x days never works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,678 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Mr Grumpy wrote: »
    What you need to do is make a bid on the basis in that it’ll be taking off the market if accepted. That way you could hold the seller responsible for your costs if gazumped.

ted1 wrote: »
    What you need to do is make a bid on the basis in that it’ll be taking off the market if accepted. That way you could hold the seller responsible for your costs if gazumped.
    Seller won't be held responsible!

Advertisement