Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sausage roll in the city centre.

Options
  • 30-11-2018 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭

Well? I've a hankering for a sausage roll. Wheres the best one in Dublin city? (Gold star for Georges street area)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Zulu wrote: »
    Well? I've a hankering for a sausage roll. Wheres the best one in Dublin city? (Gold star for Georges street area)

You spelled kale wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,351 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The Bakery (that's actually the name, if it's still there, haven't been there in years) on West Essex Street in Temple Bar.

Your cardiologist won't approve, but they have the best sausage rolls I have ever tasted!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They do a nice homemade one up in Rosie's cafe beside Burdock's up near Christ Church.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Patww79 wrote: »
    You spelled kale wrong.

:confused: What the f... is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Lolly and Cooks stall in the George's Street arcade. So much sausage meat in the roll they call it a Savage Roll

• Advertisement

Hrududu wrote: »
    Lolly and Cooks stall in the George's Street arcade. So much sausage meat in the roll they call it a Savage Roll
    Hmmm, I've had one of their sausage rolls from the shop in Merrion Street, and it was overseasoned with herbs etc for my liking, and there was far too much meat vs pastry - there's a balance, and that was far too meaty IMO.

This can be a problem. i want a sausage roll, not a meat-pie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

This can be a problem. i want a sausage roll, not a meat-pie.

Picture of the beasts

https://goo.gl/images/GHx3h9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

Picture of the beasts

https://goo.gl/images/GHx3h9

That's ridiculous, can't even call that a sausage roll

hummm. That's more of a meat pie. Which I'm sure is grand if thats what your into. But right now, I'm into a sausage roll.

• Advertisement

hummm. That's more of a meat pie. Which I'm sure is grand if thats what your into. But right now, I'm into a sausage roll.
    I'm tellin' ya. Get thee down to Temple Bar. You won't regret it.

If I didn't have other things to be doing I'd be straight down there myself, I've a fierce hankering for one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Love Supreme in Stoneybatter are my favorite - especially the lamb sausage roll.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Coffee Angel do a great sausage roll, you might get lucky in the afternoon as they're often sold out from the morning trade. They give you a side of relish too. Nearest ones to you would be Trinity St and Sth Anne St.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Listons camden street, think they may add ballymaloe to them or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    The Bakery (that's actually the name, if it's still there, haven't been there in years) on West Essex Street in Temple Bar.

Your cardiologist won't approve, but they have the best sausage rolls I have ever tasted!

The Bakery is still there and still has sausage rolls on it's blackboard as of yesterday - can't say I've tried them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Emer's Kitchen on Leeson St (Stephen's Green end) do 2 incredible sausage rolls, used to only do them on Fridays though for some reason, the cruel feckers!

Agree the Lolly and Cooks ones are far too meaty/herby, they're an abomination!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Napoleon once categorised the English as being a nation of shopkeepers who knew the price of everything and the value of nothing.

I now have a similar attitude to food....how many calories????

I was devastated to find that a single steak and kidney pie contained 500 calories on its own.

I'd eat two or three of them and a big portion of chips with little effort and still be hungry.

That comes to 1500 calories or 75% of a mans daily ration of calories.

Sausage rolls are just as bad. But they are delicious.

It seems that all the nice food is bad for you weight wise.

Mince meat used in burgers and spag bol can be another mine field calorie wise and I have had to learn to but low fat minced steak and drain of all the fat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

doolox wrote: »
    Napoleon once categorised the English as being a nation of shopkeepers who knew the price of everything and the value of nothing.

I now have a similar attitude to food....how many calories????

I was devastated to find that a single steak and kidney pie contained 500 calories on its own.

I'd eat two or three of them and a big portion of chips with little effort and still be hungry.

That comes to 1500 calories or 75% of a mans daily ration of calories.

Sausage rolls are just as bad. But they are delicious.

It seems that all the nice food is bad for you weight wise.

Mince meat used in burgers and spag bol can be another mine field calorie wise and I have had to learn to but low fat minced steak and drain of all the fat.

You had to discover that three steak and kidney pies with chips wasn't the best thing for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

Mortons do a mean one. for 1.50

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

pm1977x wrote: »
    Emer's Kitchen on Leeson St (Stephen's Green end) do 2 incredible sausage rolls, used to only do them on Fridays though for some reason, the cruel feckers!

I went into L+C on Saturday to get one but all they had left was the veggie ones - I was heartbroken. Sounds like I dodged a bullet though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭AnnaSophia

Have you tried the ones in Gerard’s across the way? They’re €4 a pop but my god they are good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

AnnaSophia wrote: »
    Have you tried the ones in Gerard’s across the way? They’re €4 a pop but my god they are good!

Yes! Forgot they changed them when they redid the shop, very good shout!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭AnnaSophia

Yes! Forgot they changed them when they redid the shop, very good shout!

I think they use Fx Buckley meat, they’re so good!

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

Green Bench Cafe on Montague Street do amazing ones with relish in them. You can only get them on Fridays though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Listons camden street, think they may add ballymaloe to them or something.

+1 on this. Haven't had one in years but they are unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭JustShay

Keogh's on Dame Street. So Nice, served with a nice relish too! <3

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Hmmm, I've had one of their sausage rolls from the shop in Merrion Street, and it was overseasoned with herbs etc for my liking, and there was far too much meat vs pastry - there's a balance, and that was far too meaty IMO.

Yep, they're a bit much and the meat:pastry ratio is all wrong. They're better than the frozen cuisine de france ones in Spar, but not by much.
    Twee. wrote: »
    Coffee Angel do a great sausage roll, you might get lucky in the afternoon as they're often sold out from the morning trade. They give you a side of relish too. Nearest ones to you would be Trinity St and Sth Anne St.

Coffee angel ones are animal, and they usually have a good few left by 11am when I go for my break. They are 2nd only to Emer's Kitchen, at the corner of Lower Leeson Street and Stephen's Green. Far and away the nicest sausage roll you'll ever have.......but.......she only does them on Fridays :confused: and they sell out FAST!

You need to get in there quick smart before 10am or you'll be out of luck.

Seriously, if you work near there, give em a shot on Friday. You won't regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭PickYourName

Coffee angel ones are animal, and they usually have a good few left by 11am when I go for my break. They are 2nd only to Emer's Kitchen, at the corner of Lower Leeson Street and Stephen's Green. Far and away the nicest sausage roll you'll ever have.......but.......she only does them on Fridays :confused: and they sell out FAST!

Seriously, if you work near there, give em a shot on Friday. You won't regret it.

Agree with this. I've been told the reason they're only on Friday is they're very much seen a treat and somewhat at odds with the general healthy food vibe of most of the food there.

Frustrating, but they have a point: you wouldn't want to be eating them every day......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Agree with this. I've been told the reason they're only on Friday is they're very much seen a treat and somewhat at odds with the general healthy food vibe of most of the food there.

Frustrating, but they have a point: you wouldn't want to be eating them every day......

How much do the Emer's Kitchen ones cost?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭PickYourName

Passenger wrote: »
    How much do the Emer's Kitchen ones cost?

I think €3.20, if memory serves. Includes some of their own home-made ketchup, which is also amazing.

They also have a deal price for one with a coffee (can't recall what it is).

Advertisement