Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra wide shoes

Options
  • 30-11-2018 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm not sure if this is the right forum but here we go.

I've got ludicrously wide feet and I've always struggled to find a decent pair of well fitting shoes.

For a while I went with New Balance a lot because they have width sizes as well as overall sizes, they're the only ones as far as I can tell.

The extra width shoes were usually only available on the new balance website but the width size I used to get seems to have been dramatically scaled down, it's only available in a handful of models which is really annoying.

It's becoming an issue now because I need a new pair of general use and at the gym (I don't run).

Other complications include the fact that I'm quite heavy and I have relatively flat feet. I've been in Berlin the last few days walking a lot and my feet are in bits.

It's clear that I need to invest in new shoes and New balance doesn't seem to be an option anymore.

I'm looking for a durable pair of low ankle walking shoes that I can comfortably wear day to day. I've looked at Keen before as they're usually the benchmark of wide shoes but even they're too narrow. I tried a pair on yesterday after loads of walking and I couldn't get into them. So they're not an option for lots of walking.

I'm also looking for a pair of gym shoes just for indoor use. I can probably invest in one of the few New Balance models left for this use. They're expensive but only using them in the gym means I should get she's out of them.

Typically, I need a size 12.5 or 13 for width on a normal last but length wise, anything over an 11 and there's acres of space in front of my toes.

TL;DR. I need two pairs of ultra wide fitting shoes. One for heavy walking and daily use, the other for indoor use at the gym. Any brands you can recommend? I'm reluctant to go online.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Henly shoes sold in Debenhams come in wide fit.

Padders come in wide fit too but I find Henlys more comfortable and they improve with use.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Henly shoes sold in Debenhams come in wide fit.

Padders come in wide fit too but I find Henlys more comfortable and they improve with use.

Cheers for the tip. Had a look at Henly's there and doesn't seem to be what I'm after.

I think I might have been misleading when I said shoes. I meant trainers in the case of the gym.

And in terms of walking shoes, I meant a technical shoe with low ankle support, gore-tex preferably, vibram sole etc. The works.

I have a nice pair of brogues which fit perfectly so I'm okay for shoe shoes if you know what I mean. I'm from a family of cobblers so getting leather shoes which fit isn't an issue.

Advertisement