Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheltenham Antepost

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Earendil wrote: »
    No, from midnight on the 26th.

U are dead right
    Apols Earandil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭PhuckHugh2

Fanny **** wrote: »

Just the 1 stone rise from his Irish mark. haha :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Runs in the Ryanair so. That's a big jump.

They are giving rain for the week of the festival atm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Penhill out of the festival

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Noooooooo

Balls. Could end up backing Samcro yet!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Running scared now that the Shark let the cat out of the bag on Faugheen :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pugw

Noooooooo
    F**k bacardys or the machine maybe

• Advertisement

HON DA MACHINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

THE MACHINE IS BACK IN FULL WORKING ORDER

For all the sarky remarks that WILL be made re Faugheen.....
    He is 5th in the betting, but 2-4 aint gonna run in this race and the fav has it all to prove!!

HON DA MACHINE!!!!

pugw wrote: »
    F**k bacardys or the machine maybe

God, Jesus and all the lads combined will never convince me to back Bacardys ever again
    The fella just cant get in a clear round!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

easy work for paisley park so :)

A friend of mine close to the elliot stable says they reckon samcro is a good thing but im not budging

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 71 ✭✭OsmosisJ

Faugheen will murder this field over 3m he doesn't have the pace for 2 anymore but the engine is still huge bookmark this post and thank me later

OsmosisJ wrote: »
    Faugheen will murder this field over 3m he doesn't have the pace for 2 anymore but the engine is still huge bookmark this post and thank me later

ok sting cheers for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

akelly02 wrote: »
    ok sting cheers for that

S'not Sting. Put up a few winners last week on here before the actual races. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭WicklowBrave

the two sons of Germany will battle it out up the hill in a battle for the ages with the younger steed coming out on top.

the two sons of Germany will battle it out up the hill in a battle for the ages with the younger steed coming out on top.

Gonna presume you're talking Faugheen and Samcro there Wickla?

• Advertisement

Gonna presume you're talking Faugheen and Samcro there Wickla?

Yes boss

Yes boss

Last time i say this I promise...........(today)

HON DA MACHINE!!!:D

Earendil wrote: »
    S'not Sting. Put up a few winners last week on here before the actual races. :pac:

i know, just sounds like a sting special :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

All falling into place for Samcro to hack up.

Angliru wrote: »
    All falling into place for Samcro to hack up.

in fifteen days we will witness the resurrection.

Last time i say this I promise...........(today)

HON DA MACHINE!!!:D

You’re a gas man, Roger.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭dave81

Stayers shaping up to be (hopflefully) brilliant resurrection of either the old or young. Speaking of resurrections, any news on Cilaos Emery? No update whether he recovered from slight knock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

Patrick Mullins on RP live stream tonight said he's definitely not 100% out but didn't say anything else. Said they're still "on tenterhooks".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Angliru wrote: »
    Patrick Mullins on RP live stream tonight said he's definitely not 100% out but didn't say anything else. Said they're still "on tenterhooks".

Sounds like textbook closutton pre Cheltenham waffle to me. This is the season for it. Any word on where such and such is going yet? It would be nice to know before they start tweeting that he has not eatin up for a day, they will probably drop one of those next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

Those who attend preview nights with a pen and paper at the ready are the same who in the lead up to the Festival start saying “Happy Cheltenham” and “only 2 more sleeps to the Festival. It’s better than Christmas”. They are the same people that call Mullins or Elliott a cheat when a horse is beaten. They can’t understand why a horse that was tipped at a preview night was beaten. The Festival is great but every year it gets more and more hyped up by chaps that won’t know there’s racing on the other 51 weeks of the year.

Stay clear of the preview nights, there’s one or two that I would keep an eye out for just to see what they say about what they’re riding. They don’t “tip” the horse but they’ll give an honest line on things. The Festival is one of the only times of the year where you can get fantastic value on horses, look yourselves because whatever you hear at a preview night there’s more than likely very little truth in it and the amount of people that come away from them changing their mind because of a throwaway comment from a Mullins or an Elliott is unreal. Someone mentioned on a different thread that Closutton were saying Penhill had no hope last year - my local pub had a big ew bet on it and cashed out after the comments at a preview night. There was murder in the pub on the Thursday over it.

I never bother really with any of the previews or twitter etc. Too hard to separate the bull from genuine good comments. Nap has to be a very, very confident Honeysuckle for me. She's an absolute certainly and unbelievable price. Favorite could be good, winning hard held, but I would have lapped what she beat riding a 15 year old Shetland pony. The horses beat are 30 lengths off winning a class 4 hurdle. Honeysuckle, surely must be a confident selection. Form works out for her every single time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Motivator wrote: »
    Those who attend preview nights with a pen and paper at the ready are the same who in the lead up to the Festival start saying “Happy Cheltenham” and “only 2 more sleeps to the Festival. It’s better than Christmas”. They are the same people that call Mullins or Elliott a cheat when a horse is beaten. They can’t understand why a horse that was tipped at a preview night was beaten. The Festival is great but every year it gets more and more hyped up by chaps that won’t know there’s racing on the other 51 weeks of the year.

Stay clear of the preview nights, there’s one or two that I would keep an eye out for just to see what they say about what they’re riding. They don’t “tip” the horse but they’ll give an honest line on things. The Festival is one of the only times of the year where you can get fantastic value on horses, look yourselves because whatever you hear at a preview night there’s more than likely very little truth in it and the amount of people that come away from them changing their mind because of a throwaway comment from a Mullins or an Elliott is unreal. Someone mentioned on a different thread that Closutton were saying Penhill had no hope last year - my local pub had a big ew bet on it and cashed out after the comments at a preview night. There was murder in the pub on the Thursday over it.

Think you might be a bit too wound up about preview nights. Most people that I know take them for what they are, a bit of craic and a meet up before the festival, that's what the meeting is after all a 'festival'.

I find previews a laugh anyway. When you have Shark Hanlon saying x is a cert. Just harmless ****e talk. Nought wrong with it. Sure what else would i be doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

I used to love listening to the late Noel O'Brien at preview nights as he always gave an honest assessment of each horse and race. A gentleman. However I remember Davy jumping off one a few years ago that had won half the track saying that he had it as his banker and it was all he could do to keep his mouth shut at preview nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Who was the last horse to fail to win the Gold Cup second time out on the back of a right handed hurdle run?

dunno but it must be in the thousands:)

• Advertisement

Who has the week booked off? Spending it down the pub, brilliant atmosphere

Yeah off for the week. Baby number two due in June so its my last hurrah.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Panrich wrote: »
    However I remember Davy jumping off one a few years ago that had won half the track saying that he had it as his banker and it was all he could do to keep his mouth shut at preview nights.

Tiger Cry in the Grand Annual I think

Went into the boss man January 2nd. Put in the week to the calendar. He laughed at me. Your some boy Roger he said. I am I said. He nodded
    I nodded. He knows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Over on the Monday (brilliant night, everyone in good form), racing Tues and weds. Home Wed night. Watching racing from comfort of home on Thursday and out again on Friday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

dunno but it must be in the thousands:)

Fustrien Du Paon ran in Denman's 2008 gold cup, having just had the one prep run over hurdles at the right handed Pau where he was 9th of 18 at 40/1. That prep was his first run for almost 2 years and he predictably pulled up at Cheltenham. Amazingly he won his next start :D

The previous Arkle winner, Contraband, also ran in that gold cup. However his one prep run over hurdles that season was left handed, IN THE CHAMPION HURDLE :) where he was 13/15. He also pulled up in the gold cup before going on to fall at Aintree in the national on his next start.

There may be more recent ones, but I couldn't be bothered looking.

p.s. None of these really bear any comparison to Presenting Percy as they were complete no hopers, which I doubt even his biggest critic would label him.

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Over on the Monday (brilliant night, everyone in good form), racing Tues and weds. Home Wed night. Watching racing from comfort of home on Thursday and out again on Friday

That’s how it’s done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Who has the week booked off? Spending it down the pub, brilliant atmosphere
    Loads of piss artists in the pubs that week, mostly gob****es who wouldnt know their arse from their elbow

I spend it in the pub for the week. Unreal atmosphere. Prefer it to going over. Watch it in HD on a wide screen, see the market moves, interviews, horses in the parade ring, easy access for a piss between races, pub give us free food for the week, bookies next door who also give us free food. Like last year when Ruby fell and Ricci was like ‘looks like he’s broke his leg and Patrick rides Douvan’. At the track you’d be wondering what the story was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Over Monday . Racing 4 days . Then off to Cardiff for the rugby on the way home, wondering what to do with all the sterling winnings.. back Sunday .

Edgware wrote: »
    Loads of piss artists in the pubs that week, mostly gob****es who wouldnt know their arse from their elbow

True, mainly young lads shouting “HON RUBY”, “ruby in the first, “f*ck off ruby”. Thinking they know it all

I used to do the week drinking, but as years pass by, work has halted my debauchery. The gang dwindles too with lads engaged with family and young kids. I have a big dirty interrogation of an interview on the Tuesday and presentations that week too. However, I'll get to watch uninterrupted on Thursday and I've twisted a few arms at work to go drinking on a halfer on Friday. I hope those who go have a blast and those drinking have that rare week where no chasing is required. It's a great week for those that feel NH racing is part of their very being.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Have the week booked off work for it. Wife and 1 year old will limit pub time but that's grand by me as I'm not a big drinker.

Came in from work today and was talking about the preview night I was at last night.

Wife turns around and says would you.not just book flights and head over for the Tuesday.

Decisions, decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭antietam

Motivator wrote: »

Excellent post by one of the best on this site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

antietam wrote: »
    Excellent post by one of the best on this site.

Glug.

• Advertisement
Advertisement