Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heating controls - multi zone

• 30-11-2018 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭

Ok, so bear with me as this isn't my area of expertise so hoping someone here can steer me in the correct direction!

We have oil heating and, currently, we have a standard timer on the wall above the boiler. Beside this, there is a switch to isolate upstairs and downstairs separately (and if you have them both turned off, just the hot water is heated) - see attached image.

To enable us to have more control and not waste as much oil heating areas unnecessarily, we were hoping to maybe install a multi zone timer or something along the lines of at the link attached - need to research a bit more but something generally like this (https://www.wesco.ie/products/p-saur37hw.html).

Would I be correct in saying that the different zones are already wired down to the current timer/switches and it would just be an electricians job to put in the new style timer? Or would it require more wiring/plumbing changes than that? I will get someone to do whatever is needed, but I don't want to get someone out and incur a call out charge to be told that they can't do anything and it requires the other profession.

Any advice would be appreciated - thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

It will be a simple wiring job. You still will not have control over your DHW,

You perhaps should consider room thermostats, but with good times choosen, you could plod along.

With your setup you would also get good ish control with something like Hive also.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Wearb wrote: »
    It will be a simple wiring job. You still will not have control over your DHW,

You perhaps should consider room thermostats, but with good times choosen, you could plod along.

With your setup you would also get good ish control with something like Hive also.

Thanks a lot for the reply. Can you explain why I still wouldn't have control over the hot water? The controls I'm looking to put in have three zones on them (upstairs, downstairs, hot water). Given that I can currently turn on the hot water on its own with my current setup, I would have thought it could be isolated also.

I must look into Hive - I had read something before saying it wasn't great for multi zone control but I'll read up properly on it.

Thanks again.

My understanding of your setup is that your DHW will always on when any heating zone is on. Probably just 2 zone valves in hot press?

My understanding of your setup is that your DHW will always on when any heating zone is on. Probably just 2 zone valves in hot press?

I'm not certain but that could be the case. Is there any way to split that so that the hot water could be controlled separately?

Yes it could be split. It might be easy enough as it’s the DHW. You would need wiring brought to programmer.

• Advertisement

Yes it could be split. It might be easy enough as it’s the DHW. You would need wiring brought to programmer.

Ok thanks for your help. Just found out that a friend's boyfriend is an electrician so might ask him to take a look. Thanks again.

Advertisement