Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2019 - General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Highly dpubt Williams is actually gunna go anywhere. They are just the new Minardi it seems constant backmarkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

pjohnson wrote: »
    Highly dpubt Williams is actually gunna go anywhere. They are just the new Minardi it seems constant backmarkers.

Used to love the Minardi cars, always forget Toro Rosso came from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

What's the best website for view testing times by tyre compound?

I'd like to see everyone's best times on the c3 tyre and on the C4 tyre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Lazenby and Davidson weren't bad together - at least Lazenby wasn't being OTT. It's that "laugh in the voice" style of delivery that Croft has which is really beginning to annoy me. Like he's doing a VO for a commercial, rather than just speaking in his normal voice.

Williams car has arrived, expected to hit the track after lunch.

Be interesting to see what sort of pace (or lackthereof) the car has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

recyclebin wrote: »
    What's the best website for view testing times by tyre compound?

I'd like to see everyone's best times on the c3 tyre and on the C4 tyre.
    Motorsport.com had that info on Monday.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Williams car has arrived, expected to hit the track after lunch.

Be interesting to see what sort of pace (or lackthereof) the car has.
    It’s pre season testing so pace us almost irrelevant. Williams will be doing the initial shakedown which other teams did last week. So they just need a successful shakedown and get 30/40 laps under their belt. That would be a successful first day under the circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

That would be a successful first day under the circumstances.

Or third day...

That Alfa Romeo seems to have good pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

That Alfa Romeo seems to have good pace.

I'd say Ferrari have invested the maximum the rules allow into that team.

If it keeps up i wouldn't rule out a Raikkonen podium in 2019.

• Advertisement

I'd say Ferrari have invested the maximum the rules allow into that team.

If it keeps up i wouldn't rule out a Raikkonen podium in 2019.

That would be great to see. Or a victory in a race of attrition.

Russel having his seat fitted. I'd say they would be delighted to have it do a few laps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Anjobe

Kimi Raikonen - Cuore Sportivo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Anyone willing to take a shot at what the best time will be by the end of the tests next week? I'd bet easily in the 1'16", maybe somebody will put in a high 1'15"...so much for "1.5 seconds slower"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Joeface

1 Raikkonen (Alfa Romeo) 1m17.762s
    2 Vettel (Ferrari) 1m18.350s
    3 Hulkenberg (Renault) 1m18.800s
    4 Kvyat (Toro Rosso) 1:18.897
    5 Verstappen (Red Bull) 1m18.899s
    6 Fittipaldi (Haas) 1m19.249s
    7 Sainz (McLaren) 1m19.354s
    8 Perez (Racing Point) 1m20.102s
    9 Bottas (Mercedes) 1m20.693s

Mercedes just trolling around that the back is telling us nothing really . actually both mercedes powered cars are at the lower end.

Russel in the car and Williams to head out on track "as soon as possible". Now the question is will their nightmare continue.

Imagine they did a Brawn!

This picture of them waiting for the Williams is gas!

48bc6859-1b0f-42ba-a68f-a980fc17b4d4_800.jpg

I am imagining them running around sticking whatever they find on it, a last minute rush :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Netflix series is out 8th March

https://twitter.com/F1/status/1098190573947764736

Adamocovic wrote: »
    This picture of them waiting for the Williams is gas!

I am imagining them running around sticking whatever they find on it, a last minute rush :P

The new Williams comes out:

the-homer.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

the-homer.jpg

I was thinking

b16a656f75c774814a2da77bdef3172a--your-crush-homer-simpson.jpg?b=t

From Gary Anderson:
    As they prepare to send the FW42 out for its first lap, Williams will be working on the small details with wheels on, making sure the brake ducts are clear. Checking the bodywork fits. Any grinding you hear from the garage at this stage could be a bodywork cutout that’s too close to a suspension component. It’s very easy to damage bodywork or even other parts that way. There will be these small things that need to be tidied as everything is designed to be so compact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

the-homer.jpg

Herb: Gerry, what's the sticker price?

Gerry: $82,000.

Herb: I'm ruined!

Well at least it's on track. Russell did an install lap. At least it didn't break down.

Imagine they did a Brawn!

And Kubica became champion

OSI wrote: »
    Christ. Imagine being so unprepared that you turn up to testing not even sure the bodywork will fit :rolleyes:
    That’s what shakedown day is for. The other teams did their shakedown and “filming” 100km last week. So they all found those issues and cake to this test prepared. I’ll wait and see if they can get a few laps done today and tomorrow before I start to bury them.

Russell just set a time - 1m56.073s

...and immediately destroyed that with a 1m49.830s

If he can shave another half minute off that lap time they're golden....

• Advertisement

Even the 1997 Lola’s were quicker than that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

George-Russell-Williams-Barcelona-F1-Test-20-Februar-2019-fotoshowBig-739b1a01-1429762.jpg

I like the livery on the Williams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Dz2kyB9X4AEbkd6.jpg

The livery is quite nice...the car itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Anjobe wrote: »
    ...and immediately destroyed that with a 1m49.830s

Eh is the car being pushed around the track?

Kimi did a 1m17 earlier

I think its hideous (the livery)

He's ended up with a 1m25.625s. 5 seconds of the pace of the next C3 runner (which happened to be Hamilton).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Joeface

Fastest lap today

DANI K ............1m17.704s ...Honda . nice one

23 laps for Russel in the Williams. Probably about as good as you can expect for a shakedown.

Worst case scenario would be spending the afternoon in the garage chasing an oil or hydraulic fluid leak or trying to find the source of a vibration or something. Hopefully they have a proper day tomorrow.

They’re waiting for aero parts to arrive so they can start the aero running tomorrow. So pretty sure today was just a shakedown.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/williams-waiting-for-parts-testing/4341179/amp/

Merc think that Ferrari are .5 secs ahead of them currently, that should seem about right.

They have a big aero upgrade for the second test, and with the mileage they have been getting, could be tight at the top.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I'm assuming Sky F1 are showing this? I'm now home sick for the week, so may aswell catch up live!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

antodeco wrote: »
    I'm assuming Sky F1 are showing this? I'm now home sick for the week, so may aswell catch up live!

From 1pm each day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Williams is pretty ugly looking and slow. Black with red, a bit of blue and then white. Too many colours. I'm not sure why they even have the blue.

The sides of the most of the cars are getting very complicated looking with a lot of aero devices. The rule changes to the front wing has just pushed the areo development back down the chassis to this area of the car. Long gone are the days of the simple barge boards!

I'm trying to figure out what Mercedes are up to. They don't appear to be very fast on the time sheets.

recyclebin wrote: »
    Williams is pretty ugly looking and slow. Black with red, a bit of blue and then white. Too many colours. I'm not sure why they even have the blue.

The sides of the most of the cars are getting very complicated looking with a lot of aero devices. The rule changes to the front wing has just pushed the areo development back down the chassis to this area of the car. Long gone are the days of the simple barge boards!

I'm trying to figure out what Mercedes are up to. They don't appear to be very fast on the time sheets.
    It’s testing. They’re under no pressure to go for fastest times. It’s all about understanding the car. How it’s aerodynamics work compared to their computer simulations. How the car heats and cools tyres. How the suspension works, how the numerous fiddley bits of electronics work. Finding the point at which parts of the car break so they know when to push and when not to push during a race weekend. Hiw the cat reacts under different aero, suspension, fuel loads, tyre camber and pressure. How they react on long runs.

That’s only some parts I can think of off the top of my head. Topping the time sheets is irrelevant until qualifying in Melbourne.

Kvyat was fastest today and Kimi yesterday. Don’t for a second believe they’re actually the fastest cars. They’re just looking for publicity by topping the timesheet. That’s not a problem but don’t bother with testing times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I think this looks good.

rKfm4FspTSeTW2nupkOe_GettyImages-1130942758.jpg

I want to see them do better this year at least. I always had a soft spot for Williams.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

From what I’ve heard from Merc this winter, the big evolution of the car is to be kinder on the tyres. I’m wondering if they are just pounding in the laps to a delta time to make sure the expected wear is happening and is predictable, given that this is a big part of their philosophy this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well I won't be watching it anymore. Just tired of the same old every season. You can fall asleep after the first lap and wake up just before the finish and more often than not you've missed nothing important.
    I started following Nascar a couple of seasons back and Indycar too. They are much more entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

I tried to get into Indycar a couple of years ago but it was like F1 with uglier cars and amateur levels of driving skill, which can obviously lead to entertainment but it’s not for me. Also the TV coverage was dire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

eagle eye wrote: »
    Just tired of the same old every season. You can fall asleep after the first lap and wake up just before the finish and more often than not you've missed nothing important.
    I'm tired of people saying this every season for the past 20 years or so. Maybe F1 just isn't for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

There can be boring races. I think it needs refuelling to add a little to the strategy combinations and chances of things going wrong.
    Should be few interesting races coming up anyway, figuring out where everyone is after rule changes. Can leClerc beat Vettel. Will honda do the job? how quick is the hulk beside ricciardo? Are alfa going to jump to top of the mid field? Have McLaren got their act together? Will stroll be respectable beside checo and can kubica compete?
    So plenty to keep us watching even if Hamilton runs away out front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I like most four-wheel motorsports. F1 is pinnacle of all of them to me, but Indycar is more about the different drivers, the sheer speed they can do on ovals, and then Nascar is more a fun, wreck'em watch. If there was more rally-cross on TV I'd be delighted (still love joker laps).

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement