Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2019 - General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭NoBread

TCP/IP wrote: »
    No problem don’t watch it then don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

It's gullible fools that support the scumbags at the top who deprive everyone else of fair priced things.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

NoBread wrote: »
    It's gullible fools that support the scumbags at the top who deprive everyone else of fair priced things.

That’s nonsense if you want to watch pay pretty simple. Can’t expect things for free just because they once were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭NoBread

That’s nonsense if you want to watch pay pretty simple. Can’t expect things for free just because they once were.

That's exactly the nonsense that allows Sky to continuously turn the screw. And they'll keep on doing it.
    People used to pay IR£300 return back in the 80's to fly from Dublin to London, when fuel was a fraction of the price it is today. They accepted it, and the fat cats at the top of the cartel laughed all the way to the bank.
    Same is happening today with Sky. Look at the price other countries can have it for. We get mugged. Basic Sky is shocking value because people don't know any better.

NoBread wrote: »
    That's exactly the nonsense that allows Sky to continuously turn the screw. And they'll keep on doing it.
    People used to pay IR£300 return back in the 80's to fly from Dublin to London, when fuel was a fraction of the price it is today. They accepted it, and the fat cats at the top of the cartel laughed all the way to the bank.
    Same is happening today with Sky. Look at the price other countries can have it for. We get mugged. Basic Sky is shocking value because people don't know any better.

Well until 2024 that will not change so guess it’s YouTube replays for you but they certainly are decent nowadays under Liberty compared to the days of Bernie’s reign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,780 ✭✭✭Inviere

Basic pack is Sky Entertainment €24 a month for 12 months then you would have the Sky F1 addon. If you don't see value in it then don't get it. But we can't say its bad value. When the Sky contact with F1 is up for renewal in 2024.

Interesting article here - https://www.pitpass.com/61132/Can-F1-boss-Chase-Carey-help-renegotiate-Sky-TV-deal

So that’s circa 500 euro a year, for the one channel I’d want. I’ll pass. Locking F1 behind a paywall just makes ‘alternative’ options that bit more interesting. If I could hand Sky 10, even 15 euro a month, and be able to watch Sky F1 I’d do it in a heartbeat. Not a hope though that I’d subscribe to all those channels, just to watch one of them.

Now TV is a stop gap solution at best, very pricey if you want to watch practice sessions and qualifying, so you’d be better buying a weeks sub at 15 per week, and with races sometimes weekends in a row, it’s again going up and up in price.

Bernie really left us one hell of a legacy. I can’t wait to be able to just buy premium access direct from F1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Was this deal struck knowing that the end was near? It’s certainly a good retirement fund for one Bernard Charles Ecclestone.

Liberty have said the deal Sky have won’t be renewed to have the monopoly they are set to enjoy come March 17th

Inviere wrote: »
    So that’s circa 500 euro a year, for the one channel I’d want. I’ll pass. Locking F1 behind a paywall just makes ‘alternative’ options that bit more interesting. If I could hand Sky 10, even 15 euro a month, and be able to watch Sky F1 I’d do it in a heartbeat. Not a hope though that I’d subscribe to all those channels, just to watch one of them.

Now TV is a stop gap solution at best, very pricey if you want to watch practice sessions and qualifying, so you’d be better buying a weeks sub at 15 per week, and with races sometimes weekends in a row, it’s again going up and up in price.

Bernie really left us one hell of a legacy. I can’t wait to be able to just buy premium access direct from F1

Sky Sports F1 in 4K with full Dolby Atmos is amazing and so worth the money it’s emence for a race weekend even had testing live this year as well.

Sky Sports F1 in 4K with full Dolby Atmos is amazing and so worth the money it’s emence for a race weekend even had testing live this year as well.

For an existing Sky customer, I’ll concede it’s a decent deal at 10 extra per month. For a non customer though, who solely wants full F1 access, it’s too expensive for me. Also, 4k via Sky Q is additional again isn’t it?

For an existing Sky customer, I’ll concede it’s a decent deal at 10 extra per month. For a non customer though, who solely wants full F1 access, it’s too expensive for me. Also, 4k via Sky Q is additional again isn’t it?

No 4K comes as standard with the Sky Q silver box.

No 4K comes as standard with the Sky Q silver box.

Is Sky Q their standard installation now, or is it in itself an additional cost?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Yeah, we've a few posts on it. F1 Pro TV.

But due to the Sky Sports contract the live version isn't available in Ireland. (€50-99 in France and Germany for an annual subscription).
    Yeah, I got suckered into buying a subscription for that, and only then discovered it wouldn't work in Ireland, despite my Google Play account being based in Ireland. Had a bit of an argument with their CS, and eventually got it refunded though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,278 ✭✭✭✭flazio

TCP/IP I ask only out of curiosity, not doubt and do not mean to accuse you of any misleading posts.
    Are you an employee of Sky?

flazio wrote: »
    TCP/IP I ask only out of curiosity, not doubt and do not mean to accuse you of any misleading posts.
    Are you an employee of Sky?

God no I am certainly am not. It’s just a really great product they have, don’t get me wrong I am first to complain if something is not good but the Sky F1 production is top quality. I have zero affiliation with Sky.

Is Sky Q their standard installation now, or is it in itself an additional cost?

That I can’t answer but I think Sky Q may be the standard but I know the 4K box is not standard it’s an option when getting Sky Q.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Yeah, we've a few posts on it. F1 Pro TV.

But due to the Sky Sports contract the live version isn't available in Ireland. (€50-99 in France and Germany for an annual subscription). There is the F1 TV Access for €25 for the year, which includes replays of sessions, live radio and live tracker however just discovered in Ireland the replays aren't available until 14 days after the session, compared to 24-48 hours for other countries.

Hopefully it will grow and in a couple of years can be used as an option, but Sky will probably nab up rights again.

A VPN might come in handy, although if its available in France and Germany would you only get that commentary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

x3q9wzfnl4i21.png

Test time differences.

Even Williams improved in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

And these rules were going to make the cars slower?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I'm thinking F2 will be a great watch this year with Mick Schumacher included along with Tatiana Calderón and a young Alesi added to the driver list. Still some seats up for grabs.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuMHBpBF53g/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=4jnwfgqeuflv

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Ted gone from sky? https://thejudge13.com/2019/02/22/ted-kravitz-booted-from-sky-sports-f1/

All circumstantial, but does seem strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

You'd wonder if Mercedes are still in the market for a 2nd team, would they be interested in acquiring Williams? They already sell them engines, Russell has a race seat and I'd imagine Toto is still on good terms with Sir Frank. Would be a way to get Ocon back on the grid too, unless they'd keep Kubica on.

Who needs Ted when you get Will for free?

Seriously though, I'd keep an eye on Channel 4 personnel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

While I like Karun and look forward to his input, it would be a shame if Ted went. I'd rather "Crofty" got the boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Twitter is trending with #WheresTed. He got a bit too smug for my liking and I started watching less Notebooks. Taking Karun for the pit lane was a good steal from C4.

I wouldn't think Ted would go to C4. I think he'd end up at F1TV, which would be a shame as I believe Will Buxton is a much better, and watchable, presenter.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I would prefer Ted. His mannerisms can be irritating but he is informative and knows his stuff. Chandook seems to be rather boring in comparison.

I always found Ted a smarmy asshole, don’t like him at all. Karun will be a massively more positive addition to the team imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,724 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

I always found Ted a smarmy asshole, don’t like him at all. Karun will be a massively more positive addition to the team imo.

Ted offers very little, apart from the notebook. The rest of his content is littered with tabloid sensationalism, listening to him and Croft come up with new and more outlandish garbage during their free practice banter segments was the absolute dirt worst. Karun is a great addition to the coverage for Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Three weeks to go to the first race of the year :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Flying to Barcelona on Wednesday and have Paddock Passes for Thursday, can't wait! Might even get to see a can of Rich Energy in the flesh! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Cool picture of all the front wings.

x16enrxs54i21.png

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Flying to Barcelona on Wednesday and have Paddock Passes for Thursday, can't wait! Might even get to see a can of Rich Energy in the flesh! :)
    How do you get hold of paddock passes?
    Can they be bought cheaply for testing?

50 quid here if you can get in background of sky coverage drinking a can of rich energy!

• Advertisement

I can't help thinking the teams with the wings dropping toward the outer edges have got it right.
    Mercedes and red bull have gone the other way and are pretty much at the front however there may be much more development in the alternative approach and if that is true, Ferrari have it nailed.

Very nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

mickdw wrote: »
    How do you get hold of paddock passes?
    Can they be bought cheaply for testing?

50 quid here if you can get in background of sky coverage drinking a can of rich energy!

They were selling them for €99 on the site, it's a new ticket type for testing that they brought in this year: https://proticketing.com/activitats_circuit/en_US/entradas/evento/13291/session/756070/select

There was a more expensive option with buffet and free bar for about €266 too. I will absolutely be trying to get in the background of every broadcast I see!

Adamocovic wrote:
    Does that require a Sky Subscription to anything or just the standalone app?

No subscription required, just registration and the monthly charge. Cancel anytime. It works very well for me and is reliable. The content available is exactly the same as the full Tv package.

Netflix has a new F1 documentary coming March 8, great trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtJPe1ksS6E

It now appears that Ted Kravitz will, after all, be part of Sky's presenting team for the 2019 season - announced today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Maybe it's just me but I much preferred the Channel 4 team the last number of years. Wonder with them only showing highlights now what the plan is.

Would miss the likes of Coulthard, Webber, Susie Wolff, Eddie Jordan, Lee McKenzie, I had even warmed to Steve Jones. Can't see any of them being picked up by Sky Sports, probably still going with C4 highlight coverage but can't find confirmations.

Used to love Eddie winding up the likes of Seb or Horner. I know it was the BBC phase but remember when Jordan was tossed into the pool after Vettel won in Monaco, was hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Maybe it's just me but I much preferred the Channel 4 team the last number of years. Wonder with them only showing highlights now what the plan is.

Would miss the likes of Coulthard, Webber, Susie Wolff, Eddie Jordan, Lee McKenzie, I had even warmed to Steve Jones. Can't see any of them being picked up by Sky Sports, probably still going with C4 highlight coverage but can't find confirmations.

Used to love Eddie winding up the likes of Seb or Horner. I know it was the BBC phase but remember when Jordan was tossed into the pool after Vettel won in Monaco, was hilarious.

The C4 team will be remembered as the golden age of F1 commentary.

elperello wrote: »
    The C4 team will be remembered as the golden age of F1 commentary.

The BBC team was pretty damn good at times too. In any case, both have always been ahead of sky. During the Ledgard days it was a toss up between which commentary I'd listen to, but the sky paddock team has always been a chore to watch. Mostly down to that gob****e Herbert and Mr Bland aka Simon Lazenby.

Last week of pre-season testing starts today.

• Advertisement

The BBC team was pretty damn good at times too. In any case, both have always been ahead of sky. During the Ledgard days it was a toss up between which commentary I'd listen to, but the sky paddock team has always been a chore to watch. Mostly down to that gob****e Herbert and Mr Bland aka Simon Lazenby.
    OK, Sky didn’t start until 2012. Legard only went as far as 2010. In 2011 Martin Brundle was promoted to lead commentator alongside David Coulthard. In 2012 Martin left the BBC to join Sky, Ben Edwards took over with David Coulthard on the BBC.

Legard was terrible. Also he refused to couldn’t say Kubica’s name properly,

flazio wrote: »
    OK, Sky didn’t start until 2012. Legard only went as far as 2010. In 2011 Martin Brundle was promoted to lead commentator alongside David Coulthard. In 2012 Martin left the BBC to join Sky, Ben Edwards took over with David Coulthard on the BBC.

My bad. My point was though that Ledgard wasn't great and given a choice between him and croft I might actually go with the latter.

My bad. My point was though that Ledgard wasn't great and given a choice between him and croft I might actually go with the latter.

I’d rather James Allen over those 2 and that’s bad.

I could only imagine Murray Walker & James Hunt in today’s environs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

D0UWhbHXgAEYCFw.jpg

Merc have a massive load of new parts on the car.

Nose, frontwing, floor, side-pods, t-wing to name a few, the side-pods are incredible.

You can see the nosecone is shaped differently now.

D0UexxOWsAIurgq.jpg

The nose on the Merc:

Lewis-Hamilton-Mercedes-Barcelona-F1-Test-26-Februar-2019-fotoshowBig-50e02b49-1431038.jpg

It's like it's been swollen after someone punched it.

Reminds me a bit of a bulbous bow on a big ship...

"A bulbous bow is a protruding bulb at the bow (or front) of a ship just below the waterline. The bulb modifies the way the water flows around the hull, reducing drag and thus increasing speed, range, fuel efficiency, and stability."

No live coverage on sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

mickdw wrote: »
    No live coverage on sky.

I saw there was no coverage this week and had just assumed there was a week break - strange they have no coverage this week

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement