Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2019 - General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

AMKC wrote: »
    I see Williams have signed W Series' driver Jamie Chadwick as development driver.

I wonder will she be the real deal.

Williams aren't making the best decisions these days. Hope this is a good one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I wonder will she be the real deal.

Williams aren't making the best decisions these days. Hope this is a good one.

cant really make them any slower anyway

cant really make them any slower anyway

True. But if they learned anything from signing Kubica it's that you can't buy good publicity with an inspiring story. You need to have a decent car too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Remember when Bottas missed the Australian Grand Prix a few years ago due to a back injury? Susie Wolff was the test driver and they wouldn’t put her in the car for the race, when massa couldn’t race in Hungary 2017 they put Di Resta in the hot seat, makes you wonder if they ever plan on giving her a race seat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Killinator

Nothing to say but....damn!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

OSI wrote: »
    I don't believe Wolff ever had a Super License.

Thats why they signed Sutil (2015) and Di Resta (2016 - 2017) to be the official reserves

OSI wrote: »
    I don't believe Wolff ever had a Super License.
    pjohnson wrote: »
    Thats why they signed Sutil (2015) and Di Resta (2016 - 2017) to be the official reserves

The race in question was the 2015 race, therefore they had a driver in place but chose not to ultilise them.

The race in question was the 2015 race, therefore they had a driver in place but chose not to ultilise them.

Actually no. They only signed Sutil AFTER Bottas missed Australia. Thats when they seemed to realise neither Wolff or Nasr had the proper license so they signed Sutil to be the reserve from then on, Then when he quit before 2016 they signed Di Resta. Kubica then reserved last year with Ocon reserve this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

It's not going to happen but I'd love Ricciardo to win the Monaco GP again this time in the Renault. Maybe in years past a chance but slim to none now.

Would be some slap in the face of Horner.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Adamocovic wrote: »
    It's not going to happen but I'd love Ricciardo to win the Monaco GP again this time in the Renault. Maybe in years past a chance but slim to none now.

Would be some slap in the face of Horner.

If Max keeps a level head I think he could win

I hope him or LeClerc win

• Advertisement

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    If Max keeps a level head I think he could win

I hope him or LeClerc win

I'd like to see LeClerc win, and hoping Ricciardo scores good points.

Not a big fan of Max and Horner is my problem. Too much bias as a Ricciardo fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Anyone going to put up a thread for the Monaco GP? I could but it would be very bland. Don't forget that FP1 and FP2 are on today.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Anyone going to put up a thread for the Monaco GP? I could but it would be very bland. Don't forget that FP1 and FP2 are on today.

I just threw one up https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110254660#post110254660

Ms

Because we can all drive a car, Formula One can tend to look like a bunch of over-paid, carefully coiffed, slim-hipped fellows turning a wheel with their wrists and occasionally flexing their ankles. And then poncing around somewhere like Monte Carlo, where this weekend’s Grand Prix is being held, being feted by the fabulously rich.

Totally disagree with the statement above bout F1 drivers being over-paid. F1 drivers actually do loads of training and work very hard to drive them cars both inside and out. Its no easy task. I think most of us here know that do.

A football player in the other hand who gets some stupid 90 million a year or something for running around after a ball for 90 mins. They are over-paid.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

It's not about how hard you work, it's about your value. If a footballer earns hundreds of millions for a club, why shouldn't they get a significant percentage of that? Same for a F1 driver. They get paid a lot because they're the best in the world, and because of the money they help generate, not because of the hours they put in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Anjobe

It's not about how hard you work, it's about your value. If a footballer earns hundreds of millions for a club, why shouldn't they get a significant percentage of that? Same for a F1 driver. They get paid a lot because they're the best in the world, and because of the money they help generate, not because of the hours they put in.

Goddamn free market economics - viva la revolucion!

I love these. This shows the average gap from Pole position over the first 6 races.

OUnu05k.png

Magnussen beating Gasly is unexpected but not suprising given how generally poor he has been.

Other than that just look at how bloody close that midfield is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

pjohnson wrote: »
    I love these. This shows the average gap from Pole position over the first 6 races.

Other than that just look at how bloody close that midfield is!
    And look how far behind the Williams are! :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

These are all qualifying stats though. You don't get any points on a Saturday.

flazio wrote: »
    These are all qualifying stats though. You don't get any points on a Saturday.

Williams don't get any points on a Sunday either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Williams don't get any points on a Sunday either.

Great, snorted coffee reading that :o

Italian media reporting Leclercs management and Ferrari falling out fast and they're entertaining offers from other teams.

With it being Italian media I imagine it's bull**** stirring but would be interesting!

Italian media reporting Leclercs management and Ferrari falling out fast and they're entertaining offers from other teams.

With it being Italian media I imagine it's bull**** stirring but would be interesting!

Will Kimi get a reprieve at Maranello? Vettel certainly would welcome it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Where else is there? Mercedes-Benz have Bottas or Ocon to partner Lewis, Red Bull are unlikely to look externally unless he goes for a season at Toro Rosso first, everywhere else is a step back. Give him time.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

He is going nowhere at all. Just media sh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭corminators

Surely he is gonna play the long game at Ferrari. How long has Vettel got left?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭Santan

If you were him looking at how Ferrari have been for well over a decade now, 2 former world champions with huge pedigree dragging the team forward kicking and screaming. Constant leadership changes, consistently failing in the development process during the season with all of their resources, I think if merc, or red bull, if they get something out of this Honda, come knocking in the next year or 2, you'd have to consider it. Big changes coming in a few years, right now I would place my bets that Ferrari will come up short again, within touching distance but frustratingly out of reach. They need some strong leadership in that team. If merc were to lose Hamilton for whatever reason, I think he is the go to guy.

Ms

Santan wrote: »
    If you were him looking at how Ferrari have been for well over a decade now, 2 former world champions with huge pedigree dragging the team forward kicking and screaming. Constant leadership changes, consistently failing in the development process during the season with all of their resources, I think if merc, or red bull, if they get something out of this Honda, come knocking in the next year or 2, you'd have to consider it. Big changes coming in a few years, right now I would place my bets that Ferrari will come up short again, within touching distance but frustratingly out of reach. They need some strong leadership in that team. If merc were to lose Hamilton for whatever reason, I think he is the go to guy.

I don't think Hamilton is ever going to be a Ferrari. Why would he? I certainly would not go there if they are still like they are now. He is on a roll now. Why would he want to ruin the great records and legacy he has now? He has already helped a team go from midfield to great. It would be like Schumacher coming back to join Mercedes and then leaving just before they got good only the other way around.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

I don't think Hamilton is ever going to be a Ferrari. Why would he? I certainly would not go there if they are still like they are now. He is on a roll now. Why would he want to ruin the great records and legacy he has now? He has already helped a team go from midfield to great. It would be like Schumacher coming back to join Mercedes and then leaving just before they got good only the other way around.

Sorry I meant leclerc and staying at Ferrari, with rumours that he is a little unhappy

Ms

Sorry I meant leclerc and staying at Ferrari, with rumours that he is a little unhappy

If merc were to lose Hamilton for whatever reason, I think he is the go to guy.

Awe but you did say this too ^^

I was just saying I don't think Hamilton wants to go through all that again. He has done it with Mercedes. Certainly not if Ferrari can't be at least as competitive as the top team whenever he decides to leave Mercedes. The only hope of him going to Ferrari would be is if they have got there act together.

I am sure he would have liked to be at Ferrari at some stage in his career but not if it means he only gets 2nd, 3rd or less places and is not winning constantly. What would be the point? I also think there is a lot of Ferrari fans that do not like him and going there now is not going to change that.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I was just saying I don't think Hamilton wants to go through all that again. He has done it with Mercedes. Certainly not if Ferrari can't be at least as competitive as the top team whenever he decides to leave Mercedes. The only hope of him going to Ferrari would be is if they have got there act together.

I am sure he would have liked to be at Ferrari at some stage in his career but not if it means he only gets 2nd, 3rd or less places and is not winning constantly. What would be the point? I also think there is a lot of Ferrari fans that do not like him and going there now is not going to change that.

I'd agree the only reason he should consider going there is if there is clear evidence they have a better car or a car on a par with the Merc, and why would Ferrari under those circumstances not want to put their faith in LeClerc who seems to have shown he is a better prospect than Vettel as things stand, they get to do it on their terms with their driver. The next time things will get properly shaken up enough for Ferrari to have a clear lead will be 2021 with the sweeping rule changes. It just seems all risk for Hamilton with little reward for either Hamilton or Ferrari if he does make a switch to a winning car. Just my 2c on why I think it won't happen.

If Hamilton does end up at Ferrari it will be towards the end of his career firstly, but i think the real reason for it is to do what Ayrton Senna had planned to do but sadly never got to achieve it, during the week of the San Marino Grand Prix Senna allegedly discussed such a move with Di Montezemolo.

Apparently Senna planned to retire around 1997 and be in the Ferrari at that. interesting to think how history may have turned out if it happened, Schumacher may have stayed at Benetton for 1996 or else went to McLaren earlier than was proposed, wasn't it 1998 he was meant to join but Ron Dennis wouldn't allow him control over his own imaging rights?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭chicorytip

AMKC wrote:

I think he would go to Ferrari if the opportunity arose regardless of whether they had a winning car or not. If he wins another three titles with Merc he will be the most successful driver of all time and still young enough perform competitively, so he would have little to lose in reputation terms. It's pretty unlikely to happen though, particularly if Verstappen replaces Vettel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭chicorytip

flazio wrote:
    Where else is there? Mercedes-Benz have Bottas or Ocon to partner Lewis, Red Bull are unlikely to look externally unless he goes for a season at Toro Rosso first, everywhere else is a step back. Give him time.

He is clearly in need of a good pep talk. His driving on Sunday was both impetuous and immature. I think they should have left him at Alfa for another season.

Yeah I agree, I don't think Hamilton would move to a team to start a new building process again, I more so was thinking if he done a Rosberg on it and after maybe at the last season with the current rules, if he bags another 2 championships, decided to retire on top, unless Mercedes bring through a top rated younger driver in the next few years, then who would you be after, if I was in charge it, at the moment would be verstappen or leclerc, and based on Ferrari last 15 years, if I was leclerc, how could you have much faith in Ferrari, they would need to have some turn around in the next 3 years. If red bull get the Honda to work, I think they will have the beating of Ferrari over a season. 30 odd years of being a Ferrari fan, and now a leclerc fan, I think for his sake if next season is like this year, he should be eyeing for a move to replace Lewis, unless of course Jordan is correct and Mercedes are going to pull the plug once the next set of rule changes begin, but that really is just cat among the pigeons talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Apparently Senna planned to retire around 1997 and be in the Ferrari at that. interesting to think how history may have turned out if it happened, Schumacher may have stayed at Benetton for 1996 or else went to McLaren earlier than was proposed, wasn't it 1998 he was meant to join but Ron Dennis wouldn't allow him control over his own imaging rights?

Hill and Villeneuve probably wouldn't have been WDCs. Though a Senna / Villeneuve team mate battle would've been interesting; the veteran and the young hot driver of the day.

chicorytip wrote: »
    He is clearly in need of a good pep talk. His driving on Sunday was both impetuous and immature. I think they should have left him at Alfa for another season.

I disagree that they should have left him at alpha for another year. What's the poi t of getting in another diver for one year? Or keeping Kimi when they could take a chance on LeClerc being fast?

LeClerc is clearly an investment. They already have a tested winner in Vettel so they can take a chance on the other driver (granted Vettel isn't having a good season).

There's no point leaving him languishing at alpha for another season. It's good enough for putting Kimi out to pasture and for finding out if Gio is good or not. They already know LeClerc is fast so put him.in the car and give him a season to bed in. Ready to hit the ground running in year 2 with all the experience of driving for Ferrari for a season.

chicorytip wrote: »

I don't agree that they should have left him at Alfa.

He's already shown this season he is good enough but he's definitely become very frustrated. He should have had the win in Bahrain but for engine problems, then there was the Ferrari team decisions that hampered him during races and now the strategy blunder at qualifying in his home GP.

Yes he drove very aggressively on the Sunday, but it's gas that's it's called impetuous and immature but when Max does it it's seen as great exciting driving by most. Up until the clash he had been very entertaining.

Like all drivers Leclerc has high demands and with a team underperforming it can frustrate you. We all know how vocal and frustrated they can get. What he needs is someone (ideally his teammate Vettel) to take him aside and talk to him. They're moving onto an easier track in Canada and one Ferrari will look to improve in.

Definitely no point in leaving him in the Alfa and sticking with Kimi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Joeface

I think a lot of press and fans were expecting loads from both leclerc and Ferrari from the get go this season when really it should have taken time .

Gasly was 2 races in with the Redbull a car he described as been very different to drive from the Toro Rosso and he was taken time to adjust .Press and viewers all saying he was going to be gone or should be gone in a few races .
    Each Race he has gotten better and the gap in qualifing to Max has come down. Maybe this is the approach Ferrai and leclerc himself should have taken . be the good number 2 learn the car . help the team . Your time will come and you will get your chances . I mean I like Vettel , but he does make mistakes .

RedBull will be able use Gasly more and more as the races go on.

It took DRic 5 races before he started to something in the Renault . Very rare its perfect from day one

Joeface wrote: »
    I think a lot of press and fans were expecting loads from both leclerc and Ferrari from the get go this season when really it should have taken time .

Gasly was 2 races in with the Redbull a car he described as been very different to drive from the Toro Rosso and he was taken time to adjust .Press and viewers all saying he was going to be gone or should be gone in a few races .
    Each Race he has gotten better and the gap in qualifing to Max has come down. Maybe this is the approach Ferrai and leclerc himself should have taken . be the good number 2 learn the car . help the team . Your time will come and you will get your chances . I mean I like Vettel , but he does make mistakes .

RedBull will be able use Gasly more and more as the races go on.

It took DRic 5 races before he started to something in the Renault . Very rare its perfect from day one

I think expectations we're heightened with the pole early on and the race he should have won.

Patience is key from him, the team and the fans like you say but the start drummed up the hype, after which theres been some terribly bad luck or mistakes.

I have a feeling he'll be regrouped for Canada, a track I'd expect Lewis to run away with but with Bottas picking up who knows, definitely think Ferraris can get some good points on the board.

Joeface wrote: »

Actually I think that narrative has only emerged in the last few weeks.

I remember before the season started and expectations for LeClerc were very low. If he could live with Vettel without necessarily beating him, then his season would be seen as a massive success.

That's pretty much exactly what he's done and somehow expectations have changed. He's on 57 points to Vettel on 83. He's the only ferrari driver to have almost won a race this season.

If he had won that race he'd be on 66 points only 16 behind Vettel and he would be a race winner Through doing nothing differently.

I say leave him alone this year. He's probably smashed his performance targets already. Let him make his mistakes this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Ooh, it's silly season already. Hulkenberg's chance of an F1 podium in his career are sadly dwindling.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Hulk is on the way out, not the way in. Would be great if he got a podium though.

Linked with Red Bull for 2020? That would bag him a podium surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Hulk/Gasly switch maybe? Do Renault want a French driver?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Hulkenberg is an odd one. I really like him but you get that feeling that it may just never happen for him. I always thought he'd be suited for Ferrari but with Vettel and Leclerc there it will never happen.

He finds himself in the top 10 for a lot of the most unwanted leaderboards in F1. It's crazy really:

Most Races without a win: 4th (162 starts)
    Most Career starts without a podium: 1st (162 starts)
    Most Points without a win: 2nd (480 points)
    Most Points without a championship: 9th (480 points)
    Most Laps led without a win: 9th (43 laps)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Where did that rumour even come from?! Red Bull, one of the top 3 teams are actively looking to recruit a driver from a midfield team who's not able to beat the driver they lost. Biggest load of nonsense I've ever heard, even for F1 that's a ludicrous suggestion

• Advertisement

skipper_G wrote: »
    Where did that rumour even come from?! Red Bull, one of the top 3 teams are actively looking to recruit a driver from a midfield team who's not able to beat the driver they lost. Biggest load of nonsense I've ever heard, even for F1 that's a ludicrous suggestion

Seems to be from Italy?

https://www.theweek.co.uk/formula-1/101484/f1-news-nico-hulkenberg-renault-pierre-gasly-red-bull-verstappen-leclerc-ferrari

Convenient that Toro Rosso are also located there, did the leak come from them?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement