Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2019 - General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Joeface

are HAAS really even hurt by this , I assume they paid HASS money to be on the car . And I am sure the due diligence by HAAS negotiators meant they saw what money was there and that it was real .

they are probably down money over the year but they should be able to pick up a another title sponsor handy enough and I am pretty sure they would win any court outing against Rich energy .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Meanwhile, Williams are just a little bit more secure.
    https://twitter.com/WilliamsRacing/status/1149242393214029824?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

The new rumour is that Storey sent the tweet after he was fired by the board...this is fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

Gintonious wrote: »

Twitter has technical issues. :pac:

guess it is that
    https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/rich-energy-ceo-haas-coup-tweet/4492868/

“The ludicrous statement by minority shareholders cosy with @redbull & @WhyteBikes is risible. Their attempted palace coup has failed. I control all of the assets of @rich_energy & have support of all key stakeholders”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

flazio wrote: »
    Meanwhile, Williams are just a little bit more secure.
    https://twitter.com/WilliamsRacing/status/1149242393214029824?s=19

Great to see Williams having long time sponsership and it must be working for Rokit too. Now if Williams could just get there act together and make a fast car. Any more on the rumours of them changing engine supplier?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

astrofluff wrote: »

There's some quality gags in the replies :D

https://twitter.com/rich_energy/status/1149670559296307200?s=19

This is the latest in the saga. Not clear who posted this one but looks like Storey has lost the plot.

So Haas won't deal with Rich Energy while Storey is still there, incredible stuff.

• Advertisement

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/whyte-bikes-rich-energy-logo-case/4493480/

Whyte bikes didn't get their court costs from either Rich Energy or the logo designer so are now seeking a petition to wind up the companies!!

https://mobile.twitter.com/rich_energy/status/1149924686807076864

That will be fun for the insolvency manager to unravel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It's all very funny and appears that it's just Storey sending out random tweets but surely they have at this stage paid Haas millions of Pounds and there must be a professional board somewhere within this business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Haas still have the Rich Energy logo displayed on their cars this weekend at Silverstone. Are Haas going to keep it for a little bit longer though as in keeping the logo will only become a temporary part of the process of these developments? What I don't get either from this spat between Haas & Rich Energy is why would Rich Energy try & link the argument with leaving Haas with having both internal politics & PC elements within F1?

Are they or Storey spouting a load of crap with that tweet?

As rich energy is not producing drinks, the stakeholders can create a new company called gold energy and send money to Haas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

SportPesa have pledged to donate 1000 to cancer research for every position Stroll and Perez make up from the grid to the chequered flag from now until seasons end. Lance's chronic inability to qualify + his generally good racing/tyre management will now be helping a great cause!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Top Gear on BBC Two is doing a piece on the Lotus 79 F1 Car now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Top Gear on BBC Two is doing a piece on the Lotus 79 F1 Car now.

Just caught it. That was very good. The cricket had the times and recordings all fecked up do.

It is on again tomorrow evening Top Gear that is on BBC 2 at 7pm for anyone wanting to see that bit on the Lotus 79.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

1. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

This was mentioned on TV today.
      Tribute to Charlie Whiting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq1clvGNsS4

2. Advertisement
    3. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Kimi is having a very good season so far at Alfa Romeo. Currently 8th in the standings and scored points in 7 out of 10 races.

4. Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

5. Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Burkie1203 wrote: »

I can’t wait for Netflix to cover this saga. Will be classic TV for sure. It’s like Fyre festival all over again. Pure bluff.

6. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
      Ms

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Lol I would say he does not even have 3.5 million never mind 35 million.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

7. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The sponsor drama this weekend was more entertaining than the actual cars. God help Magnussen when he had to face Steiner.

8. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Killinator

This should put a smile on anyone's face:

Lewis: they told me I need to drive slow
      Frank: seriously?!

:):):)

9. Advertisement
    10. Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Killinator wrote: »

Loved this guess they did not trust one of their own drivers to bring Sir Frank out. Loved the interaction between Claire and her father.

11. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

Killinator wrote: »

Saw that at the weekend and thought it was great, wouldn't be a Lewis fan but thought he did a great job there and showed his true personality.
      To be fair to Lewis I think he is generally guarded with his personality because he has to be.

I also saw Nico Rosbergs podcast with Claire Williams at the weekend which give a good insight into her and Williams

12. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

TCP/IP wrote: »
      Loved this guess they did not trust one of their own drivers to bring Sir Frank out. Loved the interaction between Claire and her father.

"Practically new convertible Mercedes Benz for sale, factory owned, always kept garaged, only about 12km on the clock all driven on smooth, brand new tarmac. Call Toto +44 7......." :D:D:D

That car was "cooked to perfection" after these two laps...you just don't tell an F1 driver to go "slow" :P

IIRC it was Mercedes' initiative, so it makes sense it was Hamilton doing it - or maybe Bottas, but I have heard over the week end that Lewis explicitly wanted to do this for Sir Frank.

13. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Frank is in better shape than I thought.
      Didn't think he would be up to that as he has stopped travelling to gp.

14. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

15. Advertisement
    16. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

Don't think Haas is allowed to change their name, see the not force India saga

17. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Harika wrote: »

I think that might be a different case because the team went into receivership, could be wrong though.

18. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

They cant change constructor name.

Force India went from "Sahara Force India F1 Team" to "Racing Point Force India F1 Team"

They just had to stay as Force India - Mercedes as constructor.

Like after crashgate in 09 when Renault lost ING from their full name.

19. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

pjohnson wrote: »
      They cant change constructor name.

Force India went from "Sahara Force India F1 Team" to "Racing Point Force India F1 Team"

They just had to stay as Force India - Mercedes as constructor.

Like after crashgate in 09 when Renault lost ING from their full name.

We had BMW sauber with ferrari engines.

20. Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

There's something fishy with the new owner, it's a company called the BDG group. Storey is trying to pull a fast one

https://www.thebdggroup.com/

21. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Iirc that was to do with them wanting to keep to 2009 BMW Sauber prize money they kept the name for 2010.

22. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I think that might be a different case because the team went into receivership, could be wrong though.

You're right. Effectively force India went bust and the new team took over after Hungary. The new team was only allowed to join due to the grace of the other teams and it started with no points (because it was brand new)

That's a lot of hassle to just drop rich energy from the name. But F1might create an exception to breath ygr association with rich energy.

I wonder if they will change away from the Black and gold rich energy livery. I don't think it's difficult too difficult to change livery.

23. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Autosport not holding back really, they never actually mention Rich by name in this at all.

24. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

skipper_G wrote: »
      There's something fishy with the new owner, it's a company called the BDG group. Storey is trying to pull a fast one

https://www.thebdggroup.com/
      Fncking hell, he is really taking the piss with his tangled web of bullcrap.
      A couple of weeks in jail might soften his cough.
      He is some clown. The only thing that would make sense to me now was if William Storey doesn't in fact exist, he would shave the beard and disappear the Storey identity. That would be pretty interesting.
      He is so deep in the sh1t, I don't know what he is doing. Nobody could be this crazy....spending investors money to trash your own brand and that of partners and get into all manner of legal problems along the way.

25. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

We have Aston Martin Red Bull Racing right now, with Honda engines. Alfa Romeo with Ferrari engines.

26. Advertisement
    27. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

mickdw wrote: »
      He is some clown. The only thing that would make sense to me now was if William Storey doesn't in fact exist, he would shave the beard and disappear the Storey identity. That would be pretty interesting.
      He is so deep in the sh1t, I don't know what he is doing. Nobody could be this crazy....spending investors money to trash your own brand and that of partners and get into all manner of legal problems along the way.

Definitely - could be a Fyre Festival-style documentary on the way for him.

28. Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭seamusk84

I literally have no idea what is going on with this anymore.
      Can anyone give a few line summary?

29. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

seamusk84 wrote: »

I literally have no idea what is going on with this anymore.
      Can anyone give a few line summary?
      I dont think anyone knows but where are you up to on the goings on of Rich Energy?

30. Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Lads get your rich energy merchandise and cans while you can. This stuff is going to go down in F1 folklore

31. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Lads get your rich energy merchandise and cans while you can. This stuff is going to go down in F1 folklore

We bought a crate for Silverstone. Only drank a few because it's rank (and a weekend of beer at all hours of the day can loosen the bowels enough without adding energy drinks into the mix).

We were hoping the HAAS merch would be going cheap but it wasn't.

The black and gold livery is nice. I wonder whether they will Change the livery.

32. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Return to ground effect cars under 2021 rules. Getting rid of all the aero shyte which cost millions to develop and have absolutely no real world application. Can only be a good thing. Especially if it allows cars to follow more closely.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/new-f1-car-design-rules-2021/4496319/amp/

33. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭quokula

Return to ground effect cars under 2021 rules. Getting rid of all the aero shyte which cost millions to develop and have absolutely no real world application. Can only be a good thing. Especially if it allows cars to follow more closely.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/new-f1-car-design-rules-2021/4496319/amp/

The ground effect cars will cost millions to develop and have absolutely no real world application too.

It is a step in the right direction for overtaking though.

Such a shame they won't deal with the bigger issue of the engines though. They're what are so expensive and complicated that they're making it impossible for non-manufacturers to compete, they're what are creating such heavy cars that the regulations were forced to allow such massive levels of downforce (or ground effect) so they don't end up looking as slow as GP2 cars, and that weight also leads to increased tyre loads that forced Pirelli to go conservative, and the drivers to drive conservative.

34. Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

quokula wrote: »
      The ground effect cars will cost millions to develop and have absolutely no real world application too.

It is a step in the right direction for overtaking though.

Such a shame they won't deal with the bigger issue of the engines though. They're what are so expensive and complicated that they're making it impossible for non-manufacturers to compete, they're what are creating such heavy cars that the regulations were forced to allow such massive levels of downforce (or ground effect) so they don't end up looking as slow as GP2 cars, and that weight also leads to increased tyre loads that forced Pirelli to go conservative, and the drivers to drive conservative.

Exactly these PU’s are the biggest mistake to bring into F1 they have brought us nothing beneficial to the sport. Leave electric power to Formula E it has no place in F1 along with the crazy cost it is keeping other companies out of joining just look at Porsche having built a 2021 PU and when it was decided to keep the existing PU design they said no way. Such an opportunity wasted to get Porsche into F1.

35. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Exactly these PU’s are the biggest mistake to bring into F1 they have brought us nothing beneficial to the sport. Leave electric power to Formula E it has no place in F1 along with the crazy cost it is keeping other companies out of joining just look at Porsche having built a 2021 PU and when it was decided to keep the existing PU design they said no way. Such an opportunity wasted to get Porsche into F1.

Without the power units three would be no manufactures in F1. It would be completely irrelevant to Mercedes etc as nd they would most likely have just gone to focus on FE or similar. F1 has to be the pinnacle of future technology or else it's just another racing formula.

It isn't the premier motorsport formula my privilege, it's there on merit. If it ceases to be the cutting edge, it will cease to be the premier motor sport.

36. Advertisement
    37. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭quokula

Without the power units three would be no manufactures in F1. It would be completely irrelevant to Mercedes etc as nd they would most likely have just gone to focus on FE or similar. F1 has to be the pinnacle of future technology or else it's just another racing formula.

It isn't the premier motorsport formula my privilege, it's there on merit. If it ceases to be the cutting edge, it will cease to be the premier motor sport.

There were more manufacturers in F1 prior to these power units, and the likes of Porsche and VW were turned off by them.

It's true that Mercedes threatened to quit if they didn't introduce these power units, but that would have been pretty beneficial to the sport in hindsight.

Edit: Also my definition of cutting edge is "most fit for purpose" - these power units are heavier and slower than what came before and only exist because the word "hybrid" was of marketing benefit, and because Mercedes invested a ton of money in getting a head start and used political will to force it through. The laptimes are only faster because of the huge amount of extra downforce they put on the cars to compensate for the subpar engines, which in turn has destroyed racing. The headline power numbers get quoted a lot for publicity, and they are powerful, but that ignores that they only have that power some of the time and are underpowered while they harvest, and none of it makes up for the enormous extra weight that they carry through corners, which reduces cornering speed and puts more load on the tyres and discourages drivers from pushing.

This discussion has been closed.
    Advertisement