Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2019 - General Discussion Thread

Comments

Has the season ever run into December before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Not since the South African Grand Prix in 1963 - it was the 28th of December!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

More than once, the last time it happened 'though was 1963; And in 1962, the final race of the season was held in South Africa on December 29th...

Just saw that the Chinese GP is going to be F1's 1000th Grand Prix...way to waste an opportunity there; The race is in April, they could have designed the calendar so that the 3rd race of the season happened on one of the "Crown Jewels" tracks - Silverstone being the obvious choice, as it was the track that hosted the very first championship race in 1950.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Cool_CM wrote: »
    It looks like it should be sponsored by Colgate or Aquafresh

Colgate Williams Plax ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

That lighting is doing the Williams no favours at all. It will look better on the track and hopefully have a few more elements to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

elperello wrote: »
    Blue was the French racing colour.
    British racing colour is traditionally green isn’t it? Like Jaguar

OSI wrote: »
    They were planning to schedule Silverstone for it but decided against it for weather reasons supposedly.

The April weather in Silverstone ain't going to be any sh1ttier nor better than in July, just like here :D:D:D

As a matter of fact, the British Grand Prix was held in April in 2000, and the weather was actually quite better than some of the deluge-submerged races that were held in July. Moreover, if Silverstone has "weather concerns" in April, Monaco and Monza certainly don't...but we get Beijing as the 1000 GP. Meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

recyclebin wrote: »
    I must be only one here who doesn't like the Williams. The blue and white looks like really bad overspray.

You’re not alone, I don’t like it either

"We have the 1,000th grand prix next year and we wanted to do it at Silverstone. I had good conversations with John Grant [BRDC - Silverstone's owners - chairman] but the consensus was that the weather is sub-optimal in April for a grand prix there."

Yeah, I see...rubbish; He clearly doesn't even know/remember a race was held there in April before; England ain't Alaska. I smell MONEY, and I wonder why :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Anjobe

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    As a matter of fact, the British Grand Prix was held in April in 2000, and the weather was actually quite better than some of the deluge-submerged races that were held in July.

The weather was OK for the race itself, but rain in the days and weeks before hand made the organisation of the event a bit of a disaster - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/sport/motorsport/723248.stm

Anjobe wrote: »
    The weather was OK for the race itself, but rain in the days and weeks before hand made the organisation of the event a bit of a disaster - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/sport/motorsport/723248.stm

This has happened in July as well - the race in 2008 was held in quite frankly appaling conditions and so was in 1998; it risked cancellation in 2012 and the 2018 MotoGP race (in August) was actually cancelled due to the rain. It simply seems to have sh1tty weather, regardless of the time of the year :P

But then again, if not Silverstone, make it happen in Monza or Monaco, not bloody Beijing. Actually, could've been worse - I could totally see them trying to get the 1000th GP in Baku...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Jordan 199 wrote: »

Looking forward to that. Any idea what time its at?

Can't wait to see the Renault livery. Have to say I thought the Toro Rosso and Williams launches were both a bit boring. The Toro Rosso car just looks like last years car but with a simpler front wing and a lower back one and while the Williams does look a bit different in its new colour its a bit square looking in parts.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Looking forward to that. Any idea what time its at?

Can't wait to see the Renault livery. Have to say I thought the Toro Rosso and Williams launches were both a bit boring. The Toro Rosso car just looks like last years car but with a simpler front wing and a lower back one and while the Williams does look a bit different in its new colour its a bit square looking in parts.

Hold on - I thought the Williams was last year's car painted in the new livery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Hold on - I thought the Williams was last year's car painted in the new livery?

Yeah apparently Williams are very behind in assembling their 2019 car and there are doubts if they will make the first Barcelona test!

Just saw that the Chinese GP is going to be F1's 1000th Grand Prix...way to waste an opportunity there; The race is in April, they could have designed the calendar so that the 3rd race of the season happened on one of the "Crown Jewels" tracks - Silverstone being the obvious choice, as it was the track that hosted the very first championship race in 1950.

I’m going to Silverstone this year and I don’t fancy it in April. Ta very much. If we’re going to have any decent weather for camping and sitting around watching racing, it’s more likely to happen in July than April.

But I agree it could have been a better race than China.

The new Renault is very similar to last year but it’s a good looking car.

I wonder how similar it will be to the Haas on track. Hope it isn’t hard to tell them apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

DzJfsWRWsAILhup?format=jpg&name=large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

I’m going to Silverstone this year and I don’t fancy it in April. Ta very much. If we’re going to have any decent weather for camping and sitting around watching racing, it’s more likely to happen in July than April.

But I agree it could have been a better race than China.

I was planning Silverstone this year and still might but it's working out cheaper to camp at Spa or Hockenheim.
    I'd love to do Silverstone though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I think I post this every year, but my lord I miss the old Renault livery.

2081142516635.jpg

Ms

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I think I post this every year, but my lord I miss the old Renault livery.

2081142516635.jpg

Yes that was a great livery and it would be great to see Renault do something like that again someday but I must also say I actually really like the livery on this years car. Think its the best looking car so far.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Renault-R-S19-F1-Auto-Saison-2019-fotoshowBig-32620334-1423662.jpg

I was planning Silverstone this year and still might but it's working out cheaper to camp at Spa or Hockenheim.
    I'd love to do Silverstone though.
    Fair play. I’ve been to Silverstone in 2014 with my Mrs. It’s great. As another poster said it’s part race part festival. Going with the lads this time so will be a slightly different vibe.

Would love to try spa or Germany. Went to Budapest last year and flights accommodation and tickets on the main straight was 500 which I thought was good value. Lots of options.

Three launches tomorrow. Mercedes, Red Bull and Racing Point.

Racing Point will only be a livery launch. Will be interesting to see if they have new colours this year.

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Three launches tomorrow. Mercedes, Red Bull and Racing Point.

Racing Point will only be a livery launch. Will be interesting to see if they have new colours this year.
    I’d be very surprised if they change title sponsor. It’s a great livery as it stands out and looks good. BWT sponsors lots of teams so I’d say they have an F1 budget. If Racing Point didn’t want their money, someone else would have it and point their car pink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

pjohnson wrote: »

Look at the rake on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Joeface

Gintonious wrote: »
    Look at the rake on it!

Autosport have it up that its last years car .

"Though it issued images and video of the 2019 car, the chassis at the launch was an '18 model with elements of the new design on it."

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/141440/renault-launches-its-2019-f1-design

think it says some where there as well the car is running late

Joeface wrote: »
    Autosport have it up that its last years car .

"Though it issued images and video of the 2019 car, the chassis at the launch was an '18 model with elements of the new design on it."

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/141440/renault-launches-its-2019-f1-design

think it says some where there as well the car is running late

Sounds like a few teams are behind on that this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

The Renault looks so good from the side but too much yellow from the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

pjohnson wrote: »

Red bull rake levels here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

The great thing about Silverstone is that it's part GP and part festival. Spa doesn't do much beyond the actual event itself.

A lot more going on in Spa than in Barca, fan zone in Spa was 100 times better, we stayed in the Elephant campsite but the Young campsite and campingf1 sites had concerts all weekend.
    But I understand what you mean about Silverstone.

The campsite near Les Combes was great when I went. Not sure how official much of the activities were but great atmosphere. Nothing will match Le Mans though. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

It's a good looking car....

One thing I don't like is the front wing end plates (is that even what there called) there too big and too square.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Looks very compact. More floor than car.

Red Bull. Another launch livery:

DzSIMyGXgAE0dCW-780x405.jpg

DzSK8_rWsAAb_01.jpg

I thought that was Coke Zero at first glance

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

The Red Bull launch livery is horrid, and I can spot just the tiniest mention of Honda on the car in the form of a badge on the nose. So if the engine is good Aston Martin get the brand recognition, but when it inevitably fails Honda gets all the bad PR. What's in it for Honda again ?

The Merc looks alright, in those photos it looks massive but does have the benefit of some serious packaging at the rear

Oh my goodness...my eyes!!!

That said, the Merc looks very clean - do I detect a higher rake than last year's car?

The RB...well, if that livery's goal is to conceal the car lines during launch and testing, it's working very well - can't really see much detail :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Red Bull do the same each year.

(Quote from 2018 thread)
    DWZbl-zXcAAmbPm.jpg:large

That halo looks disgusting though.

Hard to look at , done to hide what ever they have figured out until the first race

Joeface wrote: »
    Hard to look at , done to hide what ever they have figured out until the first race
    And to be fair they won’t have any fancy bits on the car on launch day. They’ll start introducing the fancy bits towards the end of testing and race weekend in Melbourne

• Advertisement

at this stage the first race is too far away ...................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

472986.png

It's eye-watering.

Merc looks nice. Red bull is awful - if their plan to to create headaches they're doing a good job.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Looks good. I see JCB has moved from Williams to Racing Point. Williams is really struggling. I wonder if it will survive.

I hope they have a solid season and generate some interest. Another couple of seasons like this could see them go the way of a lot of old teams like Arrows and Tyrell.

Williams is really struggling. I wonder if it will survive.

I hope they will. Would be a shame if they disappeared from the grid.

DzR0dL4WwAA2msY.jpg

EiY4vuF.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

2019launchracingpoint_s012@@fes_width%5E600@@fes_height%5E900.jpg

Ms

The force sorry Racing Point front wing looks different to the other cars shown so far. I like it. Think it the Renault and the Merc are the best looking cars so far.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

2019launchracingpoint_s012@@fes_width%5E600@@fes_height%5E900.jpg

The section in front of the side pods look like a torture device.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Glad the Pink Panthers are still on the grid, they add some colour

• Advertisement

Looking forward to Perez wiping the floor with Stroll

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement