Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2019 - General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Ah, it’s just different. People say the same about every. single. change. Then they become normal and they forget they ever disliked them and they focus on hating the next change.

I think they look cool.

2021_f1_sparks.jpg

From this render, I have changed my mind.

Fair play to F1 for putting in the effort to show what these will look like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I don't like the wheel spokes being drawn into the wheel spoke cover. If you're covering them they are covered, leave it at that.

flazio wrote: »
    Might I make a suggestion we give the 2021 discussion it's own thread?

I vote No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

Gintonious wrote: »
    2021_f1_sparks.jpg

From this render, I have changed my mind.

Fair play to F1 for putting in the effort to show what these will look like.

It dosent look aggressive enough to my eye, too many round edges rather than sharp edges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,442 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

GarIT wrote: »
    I vote No

Your too late its done as I started one over 23 hours ago now. Whats the harm?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

AMKC wrote: »
    Your too late its done as I started one over 23 hours ago now. Whats the harm?

That one can be ignored and we can still post here so there's no harm

• Registered Users Posts: 14,724 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Rumours floating around that Renault have signed Pat Fry to their technical team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭flazio

skipper_G wrote: »
    Rumours floating around that Renault have signed Pat Fry to their technical team

Confirmed.
    https://twitter.com/RenaultF1Team/status/1190709825526734854?s=19

Slightly worrying they referred to the team as "Enstone" and not Renault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

flazio wrote: »
    Confirmed.
    https://twitter.com/RenaultF1Team/status/1190709825526734854?s=19

Slightly worrying they referred to the team as "Enstone" and not Renault.

Enstone is their UK factory, which suits Fry perfectly as an Englishman.

I'd love to know the source of this, in rumours there is always some truth, big or small.

https://www.wheels24.co.za/FormulaOne/i-did-not-talk-to-alfa-romeo-robert-kubica-rejects-alfa-romeo-rumour-20191103
    Robert Kubica has dismissed rumours he is in talks with Alfa Romeo about 2020

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I'd love to know the source of this, in rumours there is always some truth, big or small.

https://www.wheels24.co.za/FormulaOne/i-did-not-talk-to-alfa-romeo-robert-kubica-rejects-alfa-romeo-rumour-20191103

Please god no he should be nowhere near a Formula 1 car.
    His time has past and he is way to slow to take a race seat again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,604 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

TCP/IP wrote: »

Yeah they might be talking about a development role. But nobody will touch him for a race seat again. That’s been tested and the results are in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,780 ✭✭✭Inviere

TCP/IP wrote: »

Agreed, it's time to look at other options for him. He done an amazing job to continue racing and to have a career in motorsports following the horrific injuries, but F1 is no longer the place for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I'm wondering will Kimi stay at Alfa for next year. He had a great first half of the season, but hasn't had a great second half so far. I wouldn't be surprised if he calls it quits on his F1 career for good soon.

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    I'm wondering will Kimi stay at Alfa for next year. He had a great first half of the season, but hasn't had a great second half so far. I wouldn't be surprised if he calls it quits on his F1 career for good soon.

Was there a reason he was out qualified by Gio yesterday? They were close but they were eliminated in Q1. So it’s probably not a case of Gio rising to meet Kimi’s standard. More likely Kimi is down at the standard we expect from Gio.

Kimi has always has prolonged poor form. He’s very up and down and the first half of the season was surprisingly good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

It would be a good move by Alfa to get Hulk in for his wealth of experience should Kimi decide to retire. The Alfa car does need move development and Hulk would help immensely.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Yeah they might be talking about a development role. But nobody will touch him for a race seat again. That’s been tested and the results are in.

That's a bit unfair, I think. His performances in qualifying are pretty damning but he has driven well in certain races - in comparison to Russell that is. The pair of them are in a competition of their own at the rear. A move to Haas could possibly result in him getting a full race seat there at some stage at the expense of Grosjean who really needs to improve quickly.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

chicorytip wrote: »
    That's a bit unfair, I think. His performances in qualifying are pretty damning but he has driven well in certain races - in comparison to Russell that is. The pair of them are in a competition of their own at the rear. A move to Haas could possibly result in him getting a full race seat there at some stage at the expense of Grosjean who really needs to improve quickly.

Your staunch defence of Kubica is just boring at this stage.

If he replaced Grosjean at Haas K-Mag would wipe the floor with him.

He’s not good enough, please get over your want for the Kubica of 10+ years ago to come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Jordan 199 wrote: »

I wouldn't be surprised if he did walk away, he is not one for driving around at the back of the pack.
    Anything other than racing is boring to him.
    Was there a reason he was out qualified by Gio yesterday? They were close but they were eliminated in Q1. So it’s probably not a case of Gio rising to meet Kimi’s standard. More likely Kimi is down at the standard we expect from Gio.

Kimi has always has prolonged poor form. He’s very up and down and the first half of the season was surprisingly good.

It is more a case of the Alfa has gone backwards as the year progressed.
    astrofluff wrote: »
    It would be a good move by Alfa to get Hulk in for his wealth of experience should Kimi decide to retire. The Alfa car does need move development and Hulk would help immensely.

I still can't understand the obsession people have with Hulk, in all his years and "experience" he has never progressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,240 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

When Resta left Alfa they gradually started sliding down before plataueing now at this level (practically bottom considering Williams barely count in 2019.)

Monchaux can hopefully step up development for next years car or maybe thats been his actual focus since he became Technical Director. Hes done nothing good with this car anyway and if hes been trying to improve it doesnt bode well for 2020 car.

• Advertisement

It’s really, really , really not unfair. If I called his a spa and said he has no heart and determination, it would be unfair. But to say he’s the slowest driver on the grid is not unfair, to say nobody will consider him for a race seat because his tone has passed, is not unfair.

To say he’s in a battle with Russel is not true. There’s absolutely no competition between them. Russell has won almost every single quali and race. The gaps are massive even though the past race was actually close.

This happens every time I say anything negative about RK. You have to preface “he’s not fast right now” with a load of platitudes about how amazing he is for coming back from injury, he has a massive knob and minty fresh breath and he’s a great guy - and he’s not good enough for f1 anymore.

(I don’t actually have a clue if he’s a good guy)

Just as an example of how people suspend reality when talking about RK. You suggested he might move to Haas and eventually take over from Grosjean. He’s 34 now and miles off the pace. Grosjean is contracted for next year so you’re talking about him getting a race seat when he’s 36 - 2 years older and slower than he is now. Complete fantasy.

vectra wrote: »

It is more a case of the Alfa has gone backwards as the year progressed.

Yes alpha has gone backwards. And that doesn’t explain why kimi is a tenth behind his teammate who is not regarded as a top driver.

Russell said Kubica was holding him up in Mexico and once in clear air after Kubica unexpectedly had to stop, he was able to put in quicker times. Whatever about the rest of the season, for that one race Kubica had Russell on merit

Russell said Kubica was holding him up in Mexico and once in clear air after Kubica unexpectedly had to stop, he was able to put in quicker times. Whatever about the rest of the season, for that one race Kubica had Russell on merit

I agree Kubica was quicker in Mexico. It was very much against the run of play but i kept an eye on the gap between them and Kubica was able to open up a 2-4 second gap over Russell. There was a Haas (KMag I think) in the mix with them too.m after his early incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

One of the parachute lads didn't look too good there :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,442 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So who is here going to watch the highlights of the weekends race?

I am up early but am watching it anyway. Hoping it was a good race. Please anyone that has seen it do not ruin it for us that have not.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭chicorytip

It’s really, really , really not unfair. If I called his a spa and said he has no heart and determination, it would be unfair. But to say he’s the slowest driver on the grid is not unfair, to say nobody will consider him for a race seat because his tone has passed, is not unfair.

To say he’s in a battle with Russel is not true. There’s absolutely no competition between them. Russell has won almost every single quali and race. The gaps are massive even though the past race was actually close.

This happens every time I say anything negative about RK. You have to preface “he’s not fast right now” with a load of platitudes about how amazing he is for coming back from injury, he has a massive knob and minty fresh breath and he’s a great guy - and he’s not good enough for f1 anymore.

(I don’t actually have a clue if he’s a good guy)

Just as an example of how people suspend reality when talking about RK. You suggested he might move to Haas and eventually take over from Grosjean. He’s 34 now and miles off the pace. Grosjean is contracted for next year so you’re talking about him getting a race seat when he’s 36 - 2 years older and slower than he is now. Complete fantasy.

Are you confusing me with somebody else? I'm not one of his Polish fanboys. This Latifi fellah is certainly not going to be a major upgrade next year. If Kubica gets a reserve role at Haas and Grosjean is still suffering from this extended nervous breakdown he is currently undergoing and gets his P45, well then, who knows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭recyclebin

So next season we will have Alfa and Alpha. What genius at Red Bull thought of that rebrand.

Yes alpha has gone backwards. And that doesn’t explain why kimi is a tenth behind his teammate who is not regarded as a top driver.

I guess for a similar reason Vettel was quite a bit behind Leclerc for a while.

• Advertisement

Are you confusing me with somebody else? I'm not one of his Polish fanboys. This Latifi fellah is certainly not going to be a major upgrade next year. If Kubica gets a reserve role at Haas and Grosjean is still suffering from this extended nervous breakdown he is currently undergoing and gets his P45, well then, who knows?

I’m just responding to your post I quoted.

And it’s absolutely fantasy. If they take RK (which they’ve said they won’t) and if they fire Grosjean it’s because they want a faster driver. Putting RK in the car would be mental because of the obvious facts including the fact that he’s not good enough for f1.

I would much prefer to see a young driver with potential given a race seat, than a driver who’s trading off a reputation he had 10 years ago. The experiment “can Kubica come back and be competitive?” has been run and the results are in. He’s not fast anymore, he can’t compete even with his rookie teammate and he’s finished racing in f1.

Are you happy to see him around half a second slower than Russel in quali and usually around the same amount slower per lap in races?

I guess for a similar reason Vettel was quite a bit behind Leclerc for a while.

What’s that? Poor Form or old age?

recyclebin wrote: »
    So next season we will have Alfa and Alpha. What genius at Red Bull thought of that rebrand.

Alpha Tauri is the red bull clothing brand. Makes sense to me. There will be Alfa Romeo and Alpha Tauri so it’s grand. people will probably just refer to them as Romeo and Tauri.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭This is it

AMKC wrote: »
    So who is here going to watch the highlights of the weekends race?

I am up early but am watching it anyway. Hoping it was a good race. Please anyone that has seen it do not ruin it for us that have not.

It amazes me that you come on to a formula 1 forum and general thread right before watching the highlights of a race that you don't want to know the results of, only to tell people not to tell you the results, almost like you're hoping someone will so you can be outraged, again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Given the lateness of the highlights last night, I decided to splash out for NowTv to watch it live. I don't think I'll be doing that again. The Sky crew really are insufferable. I spent most of the buildup on my phone as it was so dull, well, except for the bit with Johnny Herbert and George Russell in the car. I had to mute that as it was so cringeworthy. If only I could have muted 'Crofty' too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Given the lateness of the highlights last night, I decided to splash out for NowTv to watch it live. I don't think I'll be doing that again. The Sky crew really are insufferable. I spent most of the buildup on my phone as it was so dull, well, except for the bit with Johnny Herbert and George Russell in the car. I had to mute that as it was so cringeworthy. If only I could have muted 'Crofty' too.

F1TV

• Advertisement

What’s that? Poor Form or old age?

You tell me!

You tell me!

Well it looks like poor form from vettel. With kimi it could one of his many extended periods of poor form. It be old age and just being past it too with Kimi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,654 ✭✭✭weisses

No one noticed Ferrari dropping speed after being "caught" with their trick with the fuel flow meter ?

weisses wrote: »
    No one noticed Ferrari dropping speed after being "caught" with their trick with the fuel flow meter ?

Max noticed. He was asked why Ferrari dropped speed and he said it’s because they had to stop cheating.

Listening to an interview with Matthew Carter, former Lotus team boss. He said they were sure the car was fully legal at only a handful of races in his whole career as team boss.

Max noticed. He was asked why Ferrari dropped speed and he said it’s because they had to stop cheating.

Both red bull and merc found out what Ferrari was doing ... red bull asked the FIA if they could implement a system similar to what they thought Ferrari was using ... they were told no ... so Ferrari wad forced to stop using their loophole ... Ferrari now saying their lack of pace this weekend was due to them testing a few things for next year :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Well it looks like poor form from vettel. With kimi it could one of his many extended periods of poor form. It be old age and just being past it too with Kimi.

Put Kimi in a decent car and see where he will be.
    That Alfa is gone backwards since the start of the season.
    Both red bull and merc found out what Ferrari was doing ... red bull asked the FIA if they could implement a system similar to what they thought Ferrari was using ... they were told no ... so Ferrari wad forced to stop using their loophole ... Ferrari now saying their lack of pace this weekend was due to them testing a few things for next year :rolleyes:

You have evidence of this cheating?
    I guess it would have nothing to do with the fact that Charles was using an older spec used engine?
    Or the fact that both drivers (especially Vettel ) had trouble switching on their tyres at the start of the race?

Lets wait to see how they perform for the final 2 races before passing judgement. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭quokula

The smears against Ferrari are pretty awful. Mercedes have been utterly dominant for the vast majority of the last 6 years. Ferrari match them for a few races and all of a sudden it's because they must be cheating. With no evidence whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Well no, Matteo said that Charles had an older engine with no upgrade in it and Vettel. Well you saw what happened to him...

They didn't say they were testing anything for 2020

You have evidence of this cheating?
    I guess it would have nothing to do with the fact that Charles was using an older spec used engine?
    Or the fact that both drivers (especially Vettel ) had trouble switching on their tyres at the start of the race?

Lets wait to see how they perform for the final 2 races before passing judgement. :)

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/146959/red-bull-gets-fuel-flow-verdict-amid-ferrari-intrigue

Make of it what you will

And of course a different engine all of a sudden puts leclerc 47 seconds behind the race winner ;)
    Mercedes F1 team boss Toto Wolff said: “We’ve just had a discussions about the data from the race and the speed trace looks totally different to the last few races, whether it is down to the technical directive I obviously don’t know because we can’t look into what Ferrari has done.”

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/146959/red-bull-gets-fuel-flow-verdict-amid-ferrari-intrigue

Make of it what you will

And of course a different engine all of a sudden puts leclerc 47 seconds behind the race winner ;)

Well apparently you are making of it what you "want to believe"

As I said above, show us some evidence,

As for being 47 seconds behind.!

Are you serious?
    You did read my reply where I said Charles was using an older spec ( obviously an earlier spec) so would be down on performance anyway, but add to that the fact it was a sued engine which also decreases in power over usage.
    Of course he was now going to be competitive enough to fight for the win.

OSI wrote: »
    Max has shown himself to be such a salty ****er over the last few weeks it's quickly overshadowing his skills.
    • Ferrari were cheating
    • Lewis only wins because of the car
    • Other drivers having to drive differently to avoid a crash with him is great because it means he's in their head
    • Goaded FIA into penalising him for not lifting during Qualy in Mexico.

First and third are likely true. Second is partially true (Lewis is still great but would struggle to do much better than max in a red bull) fourth was max being a fool. He has also been unreliable in the last few races.

I listened to coverage of Hamilton and they had 3 people sharing stories about how most people assume Hamilton is a knob and they were actually trying to be positive about Lewis and say he’s not a knob. Then they were scathing of Max and referred to the time he said he feels like head butting the next person who asks him the same boring question again.

It reminded me that the main thing the journalists are reporting is how they personally feel about the driver. So if a driver licks their arze they will reciprocate when talking about the driver. Max doesn’t lick their arze and the report on him as if he strengthens his legs by kicking puppies to death.

Well apparently you are making of it what you "want to believe"

As I said above, show us some evidence,

As for being 47 seconds behind.!

Are you serious?

sorry i was wrong ..... it was 52 seconds behind the winner
    You did read my reply where I said Charles was using an older spec ( obviously an earlier spec) so would be down on performance anyway, but add to that the fact it was a sued engine which also decreases in power over usage.
    Of course he was now going to be competitive enough to fight for the win.

No it all makes sense ... Ferrari was all of a sudden testing a new setup experiment ...
    Regarding suggestions the performance of Ferrari's powerunit was down by quite a lot, Binotto said: "It was not down by quite a lot.
    "It was slightly down
    , which is what we were expecting between the upgrade of engines. That was a power unit 2 and not the third we introduced in Monza."

everyone in the paddock kinda knows what happened if you read through the various comments ..... The directive put out made it clear RB and Merc knew what ferrari was up to ..And now that major performance gain loophole is illegal ..And as a result Ferrari,s straight line dominance is gone .... I say again, make of it what you will

In relation to Sky F1, does anyone mute the race start? Sick to death of “it’s lights out and away we go” at every single race.

In relation to Sky F1, does anyone mute the race start? Sick to death of “it’s lights out and away we go” at every single race.

I’m aware of that expression but it never sticks out in my memory of the Coverage.

What about it winds people up so much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I actually don't hear lights out being said because I'm too busy shouting 'Go', and concentrating on who is making a decent start. :D

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement