Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2019 - General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

lolie wrote:
    The British GP is the only live race on channel 4.

Sky have the whole thing wrapped up until the end of 2024.

I'm gonna have to sort out an android box or something, my normal streaming source just isn't reliable enough

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I'm gonna have to sort out an android box or something, my normal streaming source just isn't reliable enough

Eir Sport?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Eir Sport?

Won't be showing F1 this year. Sky bought out their Irish contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I'm looking forward to seeing the cars testing in natural light next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to seeing the cars testing in natural light next week.
    That means it almost time for the annual “x backmarker did the best tielmenin pre season testing so I wonder if they’ll be a contender this year” post.

That means it almost time for the annual “x backmarker did the best tielmenin pre season testing so I wonder if they’ll be a contender this year” post.

I never take testing times seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

So Le Clerc is already being told he is the no. 2 driver by Ferrari!!!

http://www.pitpass.com/63904/Ferrari-to-focus-on-Vettel-to-begin-with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

recyclebin wrote: »
    So Le Clerc is already being told he is the no. 2 driver by Ferrari!!!

http://www.pitpass.com/63904/Ferrari-to-focus-on-Vettel-to-begin-with

Why would anyone expect anything different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Ferrari playing the long game with LeClerc possibly.

Support Vettel now, once he’s eventually ousted then bring in someone else as number 2 to LeClerc

At 21 I expect he will be in a Ferrari for at least the next 10 years unless he has the opportunity to do a “Hamilton” elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ya but if leclerc can start to out qualify him, they will soon enough throw their full weight behind him.

If this is 2014 all over again Vettel is gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Found this a great watch about the return of tobacco-esque companies appearing on cars ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Frank Williams doc on bbc2 now.
    As good as the senna movie imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Thought it was excellent, lots of history and a view into his family and personal life which you wouldn't typically hear about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Not a good start for Williams.
    First they cancelled their shakedown now they're going to miss the first day of testing.
    https://www.williamsf1.com/racing/news/2019/02/rokit-williams-racing-barcelona-test-update

• Advertisement

Ferrari playing the long game with LeClerc possibly.

Support Vettel now, once he’s eventually ousted then bring in someone else as number 2 to LeClerc

At 21 I expect he will be in a Ferrari for at least the next 10 years unless he has the opportunity to do a “Hamilton” elsewhere.

How often does that happen or work out? Once a driver has had that label put on them it's pretty rare it changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

Anyone ever see those "stabilised" camera angles that some clever gfolks on Reddit have done. Basically, they composite several tv angles together, and instead of it being the usual zoomed in panning shot that runs any sense of scale/speed, these show a static angle, not zoomed in, and not panning. Interesting - https://streamable.com/1lu35

How often does that happen or work out? Once a driver has had that label put on them it's pretty rare it changes.

They might bring in 'Joe Vinazzi' as LeClerc's no.2

Can't see Ferrari putting Schumacher alongside Charlie.

Vettel's days are numbered at the team, i don't see him taking another title and he will be dispensed with.

They might bring in 'Joe Vinazzi' as LeClerc's no.2

Good aul Joe.
    Vettel's days are numbered at the team, i don't see him taking another title and he will be dispensed with.

I too get the feeling this season will make or break him with the team. He can't afford unforced errors this season, because if Le Clerc gets the upper hand, he'll have nowhere to go within the team, or outside of it (competitively speaking)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Thought it was excellent, lots of history and a view into his family and personal life which you wouldn't typically hear about

Very good. His relationship with Claire is very interesting. They really love each other. Very proud of each other.

There was a very funny bit where he was signing a birthday card and Claire said he always gives money for birthdays. And they have to tell him how much to give or he would give them all 50p because he doesn’t know he value of money anymore. She said he hasn’t been in a shop in about 45 years so he doesn’t know what anything costs.

Frank disputes that and she says “dad, how much is a newspaper?” Frank thought about it and said; “about 15p I should think”.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

flazio wrote: »
    Not a good start for Williams.
    First they cancelled their shakedown now they're going to miss the first day of testing.
    https://www.williamsf1.com/racing/news/2019/02/rokit-williams-racing-barcelona-test-update

Williams are a complete joke of a team and are only there on their past. Claire been given basically the team principle role was completely pointless both her and Frank need to be shipped out of there to give that team any chance at all. It’s time for that to happen and move on.

So you are talking about piracy which is not allowed on boards. Here is a funny idea how about paying for it instead of robbing.

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Williams are a complete joke of a team and are only there on their past. Claire been given basically the team principle role was completely pointless both her and Frank need to be shipped out of there to give that team any chance at all. It’s time for that to happen and move on.

Is it likely Williams could be the next team to be either bought out, or drop out? Missing testing is an ominous sign. With a top engine, they were stone cold last place last year, and it doesn't appear likely to change this year.

Inviere wrote: »
    Is it likely Williams could be the next team to be either bought out, or drop out? Missing testing is an ominous sign. With a top engine, they were stone cold last place last year, and it doesn't appear likely to change this year.

Totally agree with that engine it really shows the dirtbox of car they built.

Inviere wrote: »

I think if Frank gets a good offer to buy his team, he should take it.

Totally agree with that engine it really shows the dirtbox of car they built.

What makes it worse is since the 2014 hybrid era Williams have had only 1 pole position i think (Austria 2014 Massa?) and not a single victory.

Lotus in 2015 had Mercedes engines, again no victory.

Force India have them since the pre hybrid era also, nothing.

McLaren had Mercedes engines in 2014, again nada.

While the Mercedes is the class leading engine on paper it is clear that the cars with which they power bar the works team are only good for the odd pole and podiums here and there.

Ferrari are in the same boat with who they supply.

Was Vettel's victory at Monza in 2008 the only non works Ferrari victory in the last god knows how long? I'm not thinking too hard about it but it seems to be.

Mercedes and Ferrari out in front, the rest of the field can take the crumbs of their failure, only Red Bull since 2014 for race wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Mercedes and Ferrari out in front, the rest of the field can take the crumbs of their failure, only Red Bull since 2014 for race wins.

The gap between the top three and the midfield is narrowing ever so slightly. Those with the greatest resources can afford to employ the best chassis designers and aerodynamicists. It will be interesting to see how Renault go this year as they seem to be the best equipped and resourced of the "rest".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Testing live on Sky F1 tomorrow from 1pm

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Testing live on Sky F1 tomorrow from 10am

It’s live from 1pm not 10am

And so it is

The joys of looking at the planner with no glasses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

It depends which part of the Atlantic Ocean you live in. :)

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

TCP/IP wrote:
    So you are talking about piracy which is not allowed on boards. Here is a funny idea how about paying for it instead of robbing.

Hmmm interesting, wasn't f1 always on free to air up to recently? Who's robbing who here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Kimi binned it already

Vettel already over a second and half quicker than first day testing last year.

Good live blog here to follow the action

https://www.autosport.com/f1/live/2853769/barcelona-f1-test-day-one-2019

Hmmm interesting, wasn't f1 always on free to air up to recently? Who's robbing who here?

Well it’s not anymore so speaking about stealing it is not allowed and it’s wrong. If you want to watch it pay for it don’t steal it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ooof nice lap by Kimi there!

Also might be of interest but F1 TV Pro is working through a VPN.
    Currently watching testing live all morning through it.
    I do have a valid F1 TV Pro subscription as well managed to sign up through ipad app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Vettel wants a 1:17 here

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    Vettel wants a 1:17 here

If he did that on day 1 that would be some statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Not sure who I'm going to "cheer" for this year. Alonso is gone and he was my main focus / also the underdog (I usually root for an underdog to keep the midfield action more interesting).

I'll keep an eye on Kimi for sure, I'd also like to see Vettel and Ferrari trounce Mercedes but I reckon as soon as Hamilton hits the track that dream might just go up in smoke. Sainz and Dani Ric are also worth watching.

I wish Sky would replace "Crofty". I used to think he was OK but now I find him overly jocular.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Not sure who I'm going to "cheer" for this year. Alonso is gone and he was my main focus / also the underdog (I usually root for an underdog to keep the midfield action more interesting).

I'll keep an eye on Kimi for sure, I'd also like to see Vettel and Ferrari trounce Mercedes but I reckon as soon as Hamilton hits the track that dream might just go up in smoke. Sainz and Dani Ric are also worth watching.

I wish Sky would replace "Crofty". I used to think he was OK but now I find him overly jocular.

Will be supporting Leclerc myself. Ricciardo also.

Used to be a big Button fan and since he's left been a bit over the place. Love Ricciardo but Leclerc easily will be my number one. Wasn't expecting him to be at ferrari this young but I'm excited. Helps that he comes across as a lovely guy too.

Williams looking like they'll miss Day 2 of testing now also.
    Claire Williams: "It is looking more likely than not that we will now not be in a position to run on track until Wednesday at the earliest. This is obviously extremely disappointing, but it is unfortunately the situation we are in. We will be getting the FW42 on track as soon as we are able."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Adamocovic wrote: »

Used to be a big Button fan and since he's left been a bit over the place. Love Ricciardo but Leclerc easily will be my number one. Wasn't expecting him to be at ferrari this young but I'm excited. Helps that he comes across as a lovely guy too.

I'm interested to see how he'll do as well, but he's clearly a number 2 driver in that team.

I'm interested to see how he'll do as well, but he's clearly a number 2 driver in that team.

Agree but who knows. Ricciardo came in clearly as number 2 and outperformed Vettel. Will be also interesting how Vettel reacts and if he learned anything from the last time.

First race weekend can't come soon enough!

• Advertisement

Sergio-Perez-Racing-Point-Barcelona-F1-Test-18-Februar-2019-fotoshowBig-777f0837-1425070.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I wouldn't be so sure - the Schumacher era is long gone. People kept barking up the #2 driver tree when Raikkonen was at Ferrari, but that doesn't check out: if you want a "#2 by contract" driver, you don't put Kimi in the car, as he's as unpredictable as a driver can get. The few times there've been team orders, Kimi eventually complied in a very begrudging way; Similarly, you won't put a charging youngster in there if you just want another Eddie Irvine or Rubens Barrichello. Most likely, Ferrari will attempt curb intra-teammate scuffles on track, but can't see them pulling a fast one again and issue team orders early in the season for like a 5th place.
    Agree but who knows. Ricciardo came in clearly as number 2 and outperformed Vettel. Will be also interesting how Vettel reacts and if he learned anything from the last time.

First race weekend can't come soon enough!

Yeah but then again...being the "other driver" at Red Bull seems to be more difficult than in other teams; We've seen this with Webber, with Vettel and last two season with Ricciardo. The "new kid on the blocks" always seems to make whomever was there already look like a dud.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Williams looking like they'll miss Day 2 of testing now also.

Apparently the new Williams is worse then last years pile of sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Leclerc has something special, he'll surprise a few people yet I think. And I'd love to see Renault get on the podium with either driver.

On Williams:

The car is still at the team’s factory in Grove, Oxfordshire, and the current hope is that it will be ready to fly to Spain late on Tuesday.

That means it is unlikely at this stage that the car will run first thing Wednesday morning, but the team are hoping to get it out on to the track at some stage that day.

The delay is leading to speculation about the future of chief technical officer Paddy Lowe, who joined from Mercedes in 2017 and is ultimately responsible for the car.

Just as concerning for Williams, insiders say the car does not look like it will be quick when it does finally hit the track.

Sources say the car is projected to be as much as two seconds slower than last year’s, which was already the slowest on the grid.

Rule changes to front wings have reduced downforce but many teams have clawed a large part of it back.

If the word from inside the team is accurate, Williams could be facing a season adrift of the rest of the field.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement