Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2019 - General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

Sources say the car is projected to be as much as two seconds slower than last year’s, which was already the slowest on the grid.

^^ Jaaaysus - and that's after you read Vettel was 1.5 seconds quicker than day 1 of testing last year :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Williams have made it to Barcelona:

Williams-Barcelona-F1-Test-18-Februar-2019-fotoshowBig-6912d82e-1425199.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Williams have made it to Barcelona:

Williams-Barcelona-F1-Test-18-Februar-2019-fotoshowBig-6912d82e-1425199.jpg

That is actually the old car, you see the 6 winglets. It is the one they used for the launch.

The 2019 car is still not built....

Williams are some state. When I started watching F1 casually in '94, they were the team to beat. They are a shambles now.

Williams are some state. When I started watching F1 casually in '94, they were the team to beat. They are a shambles now.

It really is such a sorry sight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Can they race last year's car if they wanted to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Can they race last year's car if they wanted to?

While it is theoretically possible to modify the car to comply with the new regulations, it would most likely be a pointless effort - 2019 cars have been designed to compensate the downforce loss from the new aero rules, and they seem to be doing it very, very effectively. A 2018 car with a 2019 wings/barge boards/brake ducts...not gonna work :(

I recently got back into F1 after almost a 20 year break from watching.
    Sad to see whats happened to both Williams and Mclaren.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

McLaren will be back. Williams could die.

Good comment there on sky re racing point.
    Seems they have pulled quite a smart one with the name.
    Racing point can be displayed as racing with full stop after it.
    So when they take a title sponsor, The entire team name becomes the sponsors name. As in 'sponsor racing.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Nico-Huelkenberg-Renault-Barcelona-F1-Test-18-Februar-2019-fotoshowBig-cbcdea1b-1424980.jpg

I like the Renault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Williams downturn began in 1998 if you look back at it all, there was a revival in 01-04 with BMW but it couldn’t be sustained. Only 1 victory (Spain 2012) since Montoya took the final Williams-BMW win at interlagos in 2004 speaks volumes. Williams are heading the same way as Brabham & the original Lotus team founded by Colin Chapman.

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Looks like the Ferrari paint is an opposite to what the Marlboro McLaren liveries were - the orange looking red on camera back then :)
    Williams downturn began in 1998 if you look back at it all, there was a revival in 01-04 with BMW but it couldn’t be sustained. Only 1 victory (Spain 2012) since Montoya took the final Williams-BMW win at interlagos in 2004 speaks volumes. Williams are heading the same way as Brabham & the original Lotus team founded by Colin Chapman.

Very sad but true - their only hope for a resurgence is to become a works team once again, which unless some new engine manufacturers join the sport is quite unlikely to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I know it's only testing but a McLaren in second after day one!!! Glimmer of hope that the bad run is coming to an end.

recyclebin wrote: »
    I know it's only testing but a McLaren in second after day one!!! Glimmer of hope that the bad run is coming to an end.

If McLaren pull off miracles this year I can see the #placesalonsowouldratherbe returning :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

McLaren were nowhere until they put on the C4 tyres. I wouldn't go cracking open the champagne just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

loving the look of the haas looks like a JPS lotus

on another note arent those massive multi segment front wings going to make following another car in dirty air even harder,s o even less overtakes ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

recyclebin wrote: »
    I know it's only testing but...
    It’s only testing. So all we can say is that none of the teams had terrible reliability. McLaren completed 119 laps which is great compared to other years. Times are almost irrelevant.
    ... Arent those massive multi segment front wings going to make following another car in dirty air even harder,s o even less overtakes ?

I imagine Ross Brawn has thought about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I heard in the news this afternoon that the Honda plant in Swindon is on the verge of closure soon with 3,500 jobs lost. I would assume the deal that they have with providing the engines for Red Bull during this F1 season is largely unchanged. Is all of the work on their engines still being provided from Bracknell in Berkshire? I feel sorry for the 3,500 people who are now going to lose their jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

only a month left before lights out

It'll be interesting to see what if any effects Brexit could bring. I wonder if temporary EU bases will be set up after the first few races.

It'll be interesting to see what if any effects Brexit could bring. I wonder if temporary EU bases will be set up after the first few races.

Toto spoke today saying Merc have Just In Time policy regarding shipping and it could be impacted.

From BBC

Mercedes Formula 1 boss Toto Wolff says a no-deal Brexit would be "a nightmare scenario" for British-based teams.

Wolff said the United Kingdom leaving the European Union without a deal would be a "massive advantage" to EU-based teams such as Ferrari and Alfa Romeo.

Eight of the 10 F1 teams have bases in the south-east of England.

"A no-deal Brexit would have a major impact on our operations going to races and developing cars," Wolff told BBC Sport.

Wolff says the Mercedes team, who rely on ease of movement for the supply of their parts, are already considering other options for their equipment and staff following the withdrawal on 29 March.

"We have certain contingencies in place, like having more stock and thinking about how we would get parts and people in and out of the country," he added.

"But it would be a disruption and it would cause all the UK teams a lot of headache, while Ferrari in Italy and Sauber (Alfa Romeo) in Switzerland would have a massive advantage over every UK-based team."

Mercedes' F1 team is based in Brackley in Northamptonshire, and their F1 engine base 30 miles away in Brixworth.

Christian Horner, whose Red Bull team are based in Milton Keynes in Buckinghamshire, also said the political situation is of concern.

"Brexit consumes the news," he said. "As a team we do our due diligence, but whether there is a no-deal, any deal, we will have to deal with it, and life ultimately will go on.

"It is important we get to a conclusion sooner rather than later to get rid of all the uncertainty because it is unsettling for so many aspects.

"Brexit is something that really needs to be addressed for the clarity for everybody. It is very difficult to make plans without clarity."

We could always facilitate a few f1 teams to set up here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I heard in the news this afternoon that the Honda plant in Swindon is on the verge of closure soon with 3,500 jobs lost. I would assume the deal that they have with providing the engines for Red Bull during this F1 season is largely unchanged. Is all of the work on their engines still being provided from Bracknell in Berkshire? I feel sorry for the 3,500 people who are now going to lose their jobs.
    They’re on the verge of announcing the decision but the closure isn’t scheduled until 2022. They plan to keep the administrative part but close the manufacturing part. But it’s still a lot of jobs.

It’s like Dell closing in limerick. Completely devastating to a locality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

mickdw wrote: »
    We could always facilitate a few f1 teams to set up here!

Funny how this hasn't been mooted yet as a solution; how much space does an F1 factory take up? I'm sure some are bigger than others. But I would imagine there's plenty of industrial zoned land available, outside Dublin.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

They’re on the verge of announcing the decision but the closure isn’t scheduled until 2022. They plan to keep the administrative part but close the manufacturing part. But it’s still a lot of jobs.

It’s like Dell closing in limerick. Completely devastating to a locality.

Brexit is a wonderful example of giving a vote to the general public and a significant amount of people are to under educated to understand the actual consequences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

For the big UK based companies (banks and the like) they're moving to Ireland Ireland or Netherlands. If an F1 team wanted to move, they'd preferably move to mainland Europe as it'll shorten procurement time.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement

Ricciardo's rear wing just flew off the car on the main straight... I was wondering why they were not using it yesterday

https://streamable.com/v8icc

Funny how this hasn't been mooted yet as a solution; how much space does an F1 factory take up? I'm sure some are bigger than others. But I would imagine there's plenty of industrial zoned land available, outside Dublin.

Space ain't an issue - vast parts of Ireland are just about uninhabited, almost deserted really; Even a few minutes drive outside of Dublin there's plenty of...nothingness. I'd cover it with race tracks and F1 factories, but unfortunately I ain't in the Gubbernment :D
    OSI wrote: »
    Motorsport is a pretty significant industry in the UK, there's a very large pool of talent that's not easy to recreate elsewhere. Moving a factory is one thing, rebuilding your team from the ground up with the appropriate skills and talent is a whole other planet of pain.

Very true, the pool of talent it more often than not international - alas, you'd attract it anyway - but It would remain to be seen how many of the current employees would be willing to relocate. Many are bound to have kids in school, spouses working locally and so on. In a nutshell, it's a big clusterfeck...

Mercedes and Ferrari banging on big laps. Both in the 70s. Red bull on 69.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Got that Ferrari looks such a planted and quick car. It really looks like they have put together a super car this year.
    Go Seb let this be your year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Ficus wrote: »
    A quick reminder that any talk of dodgey boxes and illegal streams will result in an immediate and permanent ban from boards.ie as per the charter.

First read it and thought this was to do with the design of the cars and maybe there was some new box part added to them....not on the ball today!

Also loving seeing Leclerc do well. Would be great for a few of the cars to be challenging this year.

Lance-Stroll-Racing-Point-Barcelona-F1-Test-19-Februar-2019-fotoshowBig-869c789f-1428106.jpg

Racing Point looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Whats worse than Crofty doing commentary????

****ing Simon Lazenby doing commentary.

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Simon Lazenby

He was presenting at the McLaren launch last week. That means they are foooked :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Joeface

form autosport "Having missed the first two days of pre-season testing, Williams is aiming to take to the track for the first time in 2019 tomorrow afternoon. The new car is being flown to Barcelona overnight"

and Gasly Crashed

Croft was having his commentary spat with lazenby such as:

Croft - Fettel/Joe Vinazzi
    Lazenby - Vettel/Giovinazzi

• Advertisement

Have RB and TR had any engine issues with Honda at all so far?

Over 200 laps today between them. McLaren could barely reach the end of pit lane a few years ago

Impressionen-Barcelona-F1-Test-19-Februar-2019-fotoshowBig-faca5edc-1428243.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Impressionen-Barcelona-F1-Test-19-Februar-2019-fotoshowBig-faca5edc-1428243.jpg

Probably be faster than the Williams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

At this rate Williams need the 2010 - 2013 teams (Hispania, Lotus/Caterham, Virgin/Marussia) to return so they can race someone.

Williams have gone from finishing 3rd in 2014 to last in 2018, even with points finishes down to 10th place and just 20 cars on the grid is anyone daring enough to predict they won’t score a point in 2019 or possibly less than in 2018?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Simon Lazenby

He was presenting at the McLaren launch last week. That means they are foooked :D

If there's a no-deal Brexit, he might be presenting it from their Athlone campus next season :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Who gets Mondello? I think Red Bull will operate from the karting track near the airport.

McLaren will buy out galway airport to have own private runway facility like they currently have. Plenty land for the technology centre too.
    Base the rest of them around knock airport. Lots of cheap landing slots and we finally get a race track in mayo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I'm not comfortable with the premature grave dancing going on over Williams.
    Time enough when we see what they can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

elperello wrote: »
    I'm not comfortable with the premature grave dancing going on over Williams.
    Time enough when we see what they can do.

Well I think it's safe to say they aren't in Barcalona because they are hiding something.
    They are in trouble and have been for a while.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement