Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recovering deposit of 2,900 euro?

Options
  • 01-12-2018 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

I placed an order with a small company in September and paid the 50% deposit that they asked for by cheque.
    Delivery was promised for around November 12th.
    On November 9th they said they would deliver on the 16th and asked for the balance. When I said I preferred to pay on delivery they didn't seem to have a problem.
    No show on the 16th, and no response to phone calls, emails or texts.
    On the 22nd I got a call from a different person and was promised delivery on 30th. Again no show and no calls.
    I have since googled and found that they have quite a history of financial problems [I did search initially but I now wish I had searched more thoroughly].
    I am concerned that they are not going to deliver at all.
    I would appreciate suggestions about what I can do. It seems the small claims court is limited to 2,000.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Has the cheque been cashed already?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Have you a receipt for the deposit? Keep all the paperwork and contact details. Send them a letter threatening to go to your solicitor if you haven’t received the good or the deposit refunded by a certain date.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,791 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Are they still in business? Do they have a premises you can visit and question where your goods or money are?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JonMac

The cheque was cashed promptly, I assume I can get a copy from Bank of Ireland.
    I don't have a receipt but I do have an email thanking me for the order, plus an invoice.
    Their "showroom" is 200km away so I don't want to just go there on the off chance.
    I'm wondering how much a solicitor would charge.
    Small claims is limited to 2,000, so maybe I could just go after that. What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

JonMac wrote: »
    The cheque was cashed promptly, I assume I can get a copy from Bank of Ireland.
    I don't have a receipt but I do have an email thanking me for the order, plus an invoice.
    Their "showroom" is 200km away so I don't want to just go there on the off chance.
    I'm wondering how much a solicitor would charge.
    Small claims is limited to 2,000, so maybe I could just go after that. What do you think?

Solicitor will charge between 2-300 for the initial letter and if that doesn’t work you’ll have to go further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

The joys of credit cards for such situations

Agreed. He wouldn't take a credit card; asked for bank transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Sounds like he maybe has cashflow problems. If you're lucky, your order is at least half-built and you'll get it at some point. If you're unlucky, he has spent your money on materials for some other customer and he doesn't have the funds to get started on your job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Solicitor will charge between 2-300 for the initial letter and if that doesn’t work you’ll have to go further.

That would be for a top end firm.

Use a solicitor you have used previously for house purchase or similar and you'll pay a lot less.

But going the legal route can take a few months and even then it's just a piece of paper.

Best to approach in a good manner and try get delivery of the goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,791 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Tell them you will be down to them in 1 week unless you are refunded, then go down to them on their busiest day of the week and demand a refund or for extra points get a banner printed about your issue and walk up and down outside their premises, the damage you will do to their trade will focus their minds.

• Advertisement

Tell them you will be down to them in 1 week unless you are refunded, then go down to them on their busiest day of the week and demand a refund or for extra points get a banner printed about your issue and walk up and down outside their premises, the damage you will do to their trade will focus their minds.
    That approach never ever works.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Oh it does.

mickdw wrote: »
    Oh it does.

If such approach caused excessive damage to a reputation, over and above your loss, a VERY expensive defamation action would be on the cards.

Basic defamation action costs are circa 20k and easily go higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 claff1978

In a similar situation myself do you mind me asking what was the product you had ordered

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

If such approach caused excessive damage to a reputation, over and above your loss, a VERY expensive defamation action would be on the cards.

surely it has to be false to be defamation.
    clearly stating the facts wouldnt be defamation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

One needs to be very careful that what is said or published is provably true.

Only a false statement is actionable. But defamation differs from other torts in that a statement will be presumed to be defamatory until proved otherwise. If a defendant wishes to plead justification as a defence, he has to prove the truth of the statement.

PM sent to Claff1978

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

JonMac wrote: »

No offence, but if someone will not accept a credit card I wouldn't be ordering from them. I know hindsight is 20/20 but all deposits I make are made using a credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

NSAman wrote: »
    No offence, but if someone will not accept a credit card I wouldn't be ordering from them. I know hindsight is 20/20 but all deposits I make are made using a credit card.

Some may be put off by Credit card in case a ripped off credit card is used. I was purchasing from Germany and the company only wanted transfer of funds and credit card was not accepted. No issue with the order so companies have rules around payments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Some may be put off by Credit card in case a ripped off credit card is used. I was purchasing from Germany and the company only wanted transfer of funds and credit card was not accepted. No issue with the order so companies have rules around payments.

But its wasn't a company in Germany where they don't do things the way we do. Here in Ireland only crooks ask for credit transfers.

A credit transfer isn't much different to asking for cash, only difference is its traceable but still not recoverable like a credit card payment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Germany is a special, weird case.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,087 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

JonMac wrote:

This should have set off alarm bells. Credit card gives you the best protection but even a debit card would allow you to charge back. Too late in your case but thought I'd post so others reading would know in the future

Hoping this has a happy ending for you

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

credit card give great protection to the customer but put the company at great risk if the customer cancels the order and decides to charge back the deposit.

i wouldnt accept credit card for a deposit

Update. I am making some progress - the vendor has just delivered the product minus some features. I am sure that there were cash flow problems before he was able to pay his supplier in the UK.
    The complete absence of communication for nearly 3 weeks after promised delivery date is very unprofessional.
    One benefit of paying by cheque is that I was able to withhold money for the missing features.
    Thank you to everyone for their comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,560 ✭✭✭Tow

A relation of mine once spent the day in the reception of one of Ireland's best known business men. Waiting patiently for his long promised cheque and having 'little chats' which all the other people who happened to be waiting in reception. At the end of the day the 'well know business man' (who was not there according to the receptionist) can down to receptions, have him his F***ing cheque and told him to get out of the F***ing building.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Banner seems over the top but showing up in person and speaking publicly about your issues in front of other customers has worked for me.

Banner seems over the top but showing up in person and speaking publicly about your issues in front of other customers has worked for me.

That's quite different approach as it would be seen as a reasonable response.

However an approach where you are seen as setting out to damage someone business over and above your own issue would be fraught with legal difficulty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

That's quite different approach as it would be seen as a reasonable response.

However an approach where you are seen as setting out to damage someone business over and above your own issue would be fraught with legal difficulty.

No its not an unreasonable response if you have approached the seller and they have made it clear they aren't going to help.

I've seen it done with great effect. A trailer parked outside a shop with a faulty item in it a copy of the letter refusing to repair refund or replace the item and a big sign saying this is how company X treats its customers.

A think it took less than an hour for a refund to be forthcoming.

I am having a problem with a vendor who has not delivered my order in full. After several weeks delay, I now have about 90% of what I ordered.
    Am I in my rights to tell him to forget the remaining 10% and to withhold about 10% of the agreed price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

no. you cannot unilaterally change the terms. check the T&C's of the website/vendor in question to know whats their policy is.

Then you can ring/email and tell them, what you want done to resolve the issue, but bear in mind what you have agreed to, via the T&C's.

See can you agree a settlement; but they could deliver outstanding goods when available and chase you for full amount, if you just went ahead with withholding payment without agreement.

Advertisement