Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recovering deposit of 2,900 euro?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JonMac

Thanks for your input.
    I've looked at their website and the quotation and there is no sign of T%C's.
    Does that change anything?
    Luckily I am paying by cheque so I can manage how much he gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

well it does change things a little as you have not accepted any small print. also i am surmising you have already paid him for what he has delivered? If so then there is no outstanding debt etc, it will help you make a clean break.

what do you have in writing? quotes etc. If there is no 'contract' then you would be within your rights to refuse delivery.

id still call him, and send a letter to his business address explaining you have waited a reasonable time, and are now cancelling the remaining order and get anything else you need from another supplier.

Final [?] update. After a 5 week delay I've received about 90% of what I ordered and have paid 92% to close down the hassle.
    Paying by cheque gave me the ability to motivate him to continue to deliver what I wanted.
    In retrospect, I had googled the company but at that point I didn't know his name. Googling his name would have warned me off he has as several public negative financial events.

I ended up with about 90% of what I wanted and paid him 92% to stop the hassle. He agreed to the amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

If such approach caused excessive damage to a reputation, over and above your loss, a VERY expensive defamation action would be on the cards.

Basic defamation action costs are circa 20k and easily go higher.

Its not defamation if its true though

• Advertisement

There has been no "defamation" in this case, although I was tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara