Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New RTE Player

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭SteM

Is it working for anybody on an android box ?

Yes, it is on mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

SteM wrote:
    Yes, it is on mine.

Which box and which version of Android please.

Which box and which version of Android please.

It's a jide remix on android 5.1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I could never get the old RTE Player working on my Windows PC which I have connected to my TV. It would always say disable my ad-blocker but I had no ad-blocker. It's finally working now.

SteM wrote:
    It's a jide remix on android 5.1

Thanks. Don't know why it won't work for me on android 6.0 so. I thought it was because the version is too old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Rte player is still crap for live feeds.
    I switched from the tv to another room and watched on the phone and Pat Shortt's stint just stops playing after a certain stage.

They just can't seem to deliver stuff.

Mr.S wrote:
    Side-loading the Android APK is much better.

From where ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Rte player is still crap for live feeds.
    I switched from the tv to another room and watched on the phone and Pat Shortt's stint just stops playing after a certain stage.

They just can't seem to deliver stuff.

If history is anything to go by there will be crashes during GAA matches and the toy show etc, when there's a bit of demand on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭AllForIt

AllForIt wrote:
    From here for example

Thanks I'll try that when I get my hands on the telly

• Advertisement

AllForIt wrote:
    From here for example

That's the old version

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭fjon

Is there a chance there will be a native version released for the Nvidia Shield?

That's the old version

Just install rte player on an android phone, install an apk extractor on the phone, extract the apk, copy it across to the android tv on a USB key and sideload it there.

Edit, I've just done this on a Sony android tv and the app works but cannot be navigated properly with the Sony TV remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

SteM wrote: »
    Just install rte player on an android phone, install an apk extractor on the phone, extract the apk, copy it across to the android tv on a USB key and sideload it there.

Edit, I've just done this on a Sony android tv and the app works but cannot be navigated properly with the Sony TV remote.

Did the same on my Firestick but navigation is a disaster so much so it's basically unworkable

SteM wrote:

Thanks I'll give that a go

SteM wrote:

Might be ok on android box with a mouse

SteM wrote:

That didn't work either still the same problem plays the first ten seconds or so of the video over and over.
    Plays the advertisements perfectly though.
    Must be my box, maybe the fact it's rooted, don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

campo wrote: »
    Did the same on my Firestick but navigation is a disaster so much so it's basically unworkable

If you install moose toggle on fire TV you can navigate reasonably OK. Not as good as a native app, but manageable.
    Get it here... https://troypoint.com/install-mouse-toggle-fire-tv/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

App is out now for android TV and it's not terrible. Looks like they were going for the Netflix UI but bargain basement version. Things work but it's a bit clunky. Still better than nothing I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

Is Virgin Media available in HD on the new player or Saorview Connect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

Anyone here with a Nvidia Shield able to get past the log in page on the Android TV app?

When you first start the app, it'll ask for you to either log in using some code, or you can skip that part but no matter what I press I can't get past that screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Is Virgin Media available in HD on the new player or Saorview Connect?

Virgin Media channels are not on the RTÉ Player. I haven't heard of them being on Saorview Connect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

RHJ wrote: »
    Anyone here with a Nvidia Shield able to get past the log in page on the Android TV app?

When you first start the app, it'll ask for you to either log in using some code, or you can skip that part but no matter what I press I can't get past that screen.

Yep, I had no problem logging in.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Casted from it Friday.

Box set, started S1 E1
    Ads blocked by hosts file on device successfully. That was cool.
    Every time an episode ended that was it, not continuation in the series.
    In the meantime as CC had been playing the app had slept and lost its position, start from scratch looking for the series again each episode. Annoying.

Overall it wasnt nearly as terrible as you'd expect from RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Keyzer wrote: »
    Working great for me on android. Watching an aul bit of nidgey last night for the craic.

In retrospect, its actually crap.

Live TV quality is awful and keeps hanging every couple of mins.

Also, tried to watch the liverpool vs napoli match last week and kept getting kicked and moved to RTE1 after two mins.

More cack from RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Watched Election 18 over the weekend on android player. Worked fine, quality of stream was great (but not live, so to be expected). 2 issues afected me though:
    1) The stream locked up and froze, I had to restart again, and had to watch the 1:30 ads twice (once for the start, and again because I manually spun forward to where I was).
    2) There is no easy way to skip forward or back a small amount. I'm so used to having the ability to skip forward/back 10/30 seconds, you'd miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Seapoint

Once again, I'm so happy that I went for the Nvidia Shield Android TV and not some crappy Android box. The quality and functionality of the native Android TV app is 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Seapoint

SteM wrote: »

Why don't you install it from the Google Play store on the Sony Android TV ?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Downloaded the Android TV version onto my Nvidia Shield today and watched an episode of Nidge & the gang.

No live TV options but worked flawlessly otherwise. Surprised given the experience reported by others. Picture quality was fine,. No freezing or buffering, so far it's working well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

https://beta.rte.ie/player/series/mr.-mercedes/SI0000002368?epguid=AQ000260991

Apparently I am unable to use it at all ....... having sat through the inevitable adverts I get a black screen with this
    Security Error Close
    This protected content cannot be played on the current system.

So I click the 'Close' in the heading and get a screen with a huge 'Play' arrow icon, which I click.

Then get the adverts again ........ and back to the same Security Error screen! :(

It appears the problem might be browser related ..... it worked in Chrome!
    So why did it tell me it was a system error if the fault was the browser?

• Advertisement

Seapoint wrote: »
    Why don't you install it from the Google Play store on the Sony Android TV ?

I have but i posted what you quoted before it was available on the android tv play store.

Advertisement