Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New RTE Player

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭vidapura

Whats this about logging in?

I tried this pile of sh*te on my android phone.. (J5) .. doesn't work ...
    Saw no log in screen..

Just allows me to select a show and then.. shows interminable ads before resolving to a black blank screen...

At least the old one allowed me to view SOMETHING....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

vidapura wrote:
    I tried this pile of sh*te on my android phone.. (J5) .. doesn't work ... Saw no log in screen..

It's works on my J5. But no matter what I try I can't get it to work on my android box. The old one crap as it was worked on the box.

The RTÈ player has updated on my LG smart tv today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Mr.S wrote: »
    The official Android TV App doesn't have a live TV function. (Why this is, is beyond me, apart from that the ATV app is pretty good.)

Where as if you side-load the mobile Android version to your TV, you can play live-tv.

The LG smart tv app is the same, no live feeds.
    Saying that the live feeds on the android player are unusable, stopping and even when you exit and go back in it plays at the same spot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭QuadaLumpins

Downloaded the Android TV version onto my Nvidia Shield today and watched an episode of Nidge & the gang.

No live TV options but worked flawlessly otherwise. Surprised given the experience reported by others. Picture quality was fine,. No freezing or buffering, so far it's working well.

Is it simple enough to download and install on the shield?

Is the app in the shield AppStore or does it have to be sideloaded?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭littlecopilot

Is it simple enough to download and install on the shield?

Is the app in the shield AppStore or does it have to be sideloaded?

It's in the appstore

• Registered Users Posts: 33 JMcGee

Has anyone managed to get Airplay to work? i.e. iOS device to Apple TV. My Apple TV screen dims like 3 pulses as if it's trying to establish a connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

JMcGee wrote: »
    Has anyone managed to get Airplay to work? i.e. iOS device to Apple TV. My Apple TV screen dims like 3 pulses as if it's trying to establish a connection.

Nope, still not working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Mine is working perfectly when streamed from my phone but when i try to watch through the app on an LG smart TV it says stream cannot be played on everything I try to play.

Some of tg4's content is also on the player.
    I watched Daire Ó Cinnéide's documentary on the GAA in the US last night (on LG smart tv). I think there are a few episodes. I just watched the first. Interesting enough going between New York, Boston and Chicago and the various clubs.

Is there the ability to start watching where you left off? I am signed in but couldn't see 'watched' content after going back in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

zorro2566 wrote: »

Still available ? I loaded the app the other night and worked fine. This morning it launches but just shows the home screen splash and doesn’t load. In frustration I deleted the app and when I went to reload it’s not available on the LG Content store :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Egg Sandwich

Good morning one and all I'm a boards newbie but trust good ole RTE to be the ones to make me join up.This new player is a total disaster. Stop start stop start. I notice its a beta type delivery isn't this usually crap? The live option is freezing then playing for 20 seconds then freezing again. And no its not my internet connection because my virginmedia player is cinema quality so that rules that out.RTEs old player was just slightly inferior to virgins but this new ones designed to make us freeloaders drive over the edge. No doubt they'll announce a "premium" option down the road for ONLY 9.99 a month. Tubs and the lads and lassies will soon want a pay increase after their terribly hard times during the recession when they had to endure no double digit pay rise for their great talents. Anyway I digress. I tried to watch an episode of LOVE/HATE and instead was treated to a merry go round of 5 doses of ads before I gave up. Keep payin the licence fee lads,I'd love a job in RTE even sweepin the floors would do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,797 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Funny you have all of these problems. I'm using Chromecast with the RTE Player while visiting home for Christmas and had only one freezing issue so far. It's been pretty solid.

Still available ? I loaded the app the other night and worked fine. This morning it launches but just shows the home screen splash and doesn’t load. In frustration I deleted the app and when I went to reload it’s not available on the LG Content store :mad:

I have the same issue with it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭reni10

SteM wrote: »
    I have but i posted what you quoted before it was available on the android tv play store.

Can someone extract the Android TV version of the Rte player so we can try it on a FireTV?

I have sideloaded the normal play store version but you cannot control it with the fire remote so want to see if the Android TV version enables proper remote control?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

zorro2566 wrote: »

I updated it recently, but then it went...just by coincidence there was a piece on The Journal about it the other day. Today it's back and I've updated again, but it's back the old version, logo, layout and all. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Sounds like there was an issue with the new version on LG devices and it was removed then rolled back.

I contacted RTÉ digital team via contact on the player re the issue with LG smart TV. They confirmed the player is back on LG but omitted to state it was the older version ����. Query returned asking when the new version will be available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

I updated it recently, but then it went...just by coincidence there was a piece on The Journal about it the other day. Today it's back and I've updated again, but it's back the old version, logo, layout and all. :confused:

Same here with lg tv. Had it on lg uk for services area, switched it back to Ireland to update the player, then back to UK again. Worked fine for a couple of days, then I got an update notification for it. Nothing new, just rolled it back to the previous version. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

Is the player working? Stopping for no reason particularly after ads. On laptop. Tried Edge, Chrome, Firefox. Same problem on all 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jimosterberg

Any idea why there is no live feeds on the LG smart TV version of the player?

Have the player on an android box too but it's brutal. Crashes all the time and there's sound but no picture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Tried the player on an Android box last night and it worked well for the hour or so I used it.
    I never did check what version was installed ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Any idea why there is no live feeds on the LG smart TV version of the player?

The old version on LG TVs didn't have the "Live" option either

Samsung TVs haven't been updated with the new version yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

I contacted RTÉ digital team via contact on the player re the issue with LG smart TV. They confirmed the player is back on LG but omitted to state it was the older version ����. Query returned asking when the new version will be available
    Just a query on the settings you have on your TV. I'm thinking that it may be the fact that I have UK set a the TV's location (for Freesat EPG & Google assistant) Ireland lg store for app updates. Could this be affecting the update of the app on my TV by virtue of the fact that I have conflicting settings - Ireland and UK on my TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 JMcGee

Still no sign of the Apple TV version. Man, they're damn slow.

Just a query on the settings you have on your TV. I'm thinking that it may be the fact that I have UK set a the TV's location (for Freesat EPG & Google assistant) Ireland lg store for app updates. Could this be affecting the update of the app on my TV by virtue of the fact that I have conflicting settings - Ireland and UK on my TV?

The new player was on LG for a couple of days and was then rolled back to the old version. RTÉs digital team did confirm that the new player will be on LG soon.....soon was not defined though. I am on Ireland set up so I don’t think that is the cause of the lack of availability

RTÉs digital team did confirm that the new player will be on LG soon.....soon was not defined though.

To get an idea of what RTE consider soon check out the saorview connect thread in relation to recording.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Tried the player on an Android box last night and it worked well for the hour or so I used it.
    I never did check what version was installed ...

Great to see it working on the Android box, watching live TV and picture quality is good and fairly steady at the moment.

The big test will be Champions league football on the player, as it's not available on SAORSAT, this will be my only option, hopefully it works.

Tried the player on an Android box last night and it worked well for the hour or so I used it. I never did check what version was installed ...

What version of Android is on your box. I can't get it to work on mine plays five or six seconds of selected programme then goes back to beginning. It just keeps doing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

What version of Android is on your box. I can't get it to work on mine plays five or six seconds of selected programme then goes back to beginning. It just keeps doing that.

I think it is 8 ..... can check later if you need confirmation.

EDIT: 8.1

Advertisement