Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New RTE Player

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Have android version 6.01 and it won't work beyond the ads and 2 seconds of show I picked. Very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mickey1985

Anyway of downloading videos with the new app?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

Just for anyone wondering if the Android TV version works on a FireTV and has full remote control functionality then it does!

I managed to install the new player on an Android TV box and then extract it so it could be sideloaded and installed on the FireTV and it works fine.

No Live TV option but catchup and boxsets work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

reni10 wrote: »
    Just for anyone wondering if the Android TV version works on a FireTV and has full remote control functionality then it does!

I managed to install the new player on an Android TV box and then extract it so it could be sideloaded and installed on the FireTV and it works fine.

No Live TV option but catchup and boxsets work.

Probably a stupid question but did you get the Android TV version from playstore ?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Is there any way to view what is on during the day on all channels? All I can see is to go to "On Now" and click the grid beside a programme and then view one channel at a time (which makes planning more awkward)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Tried the app on an android box and programmes play on it. Picture quality is appalling though. Live streams work too though the picture isn't great on that either. I am using a T95N Mini M85 Pro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

lertsnim wrote:
    Tried the app on an android box and programmes play on it. Picture quality is appalling though. Live streams work too though the picture isn't great on that either. I am using a T95N Mini M85 Pro

Lucky you won't work at all on my android box.

campo wrote: »
    Probably a stupid question but did you get the Android TV version from playstore ?

I got it from the playstore on the Android TV box yes but this is special playstore only available on officially supported versions of the boxes like Nvidia shield and Xiaomi mibox etc.

lertsnim wrote: »

That must be just the normal mobile version of the app and not the TV version as that version does not have live TV for some very strange reason!

The mobile version is not remote control optimised so you can't really use it on a fire TV or something like that...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The android app won't play live tv for me.
    Anyone else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The android app won't play live tv for me.
    Anyone else?

Working fine here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Still working fine on my Android box.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

RTE player on Android TV now showing ads at the start and middle of the program

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

Still no ads when casting to TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Moyglish

Could anyone please point me in the direction of an Android TV version of the APK, or if it wouldn't be too much hassle, rip me a version that I could sideload onto a Fire TV please?

I've been trying to get a working version of the new RTE working with no success.

The apks I've found are for the app for touch screen devices, so the fire tv remote or a keyboard won't work to navigate and you can't move the page. The Web browser version just redirects you to download the aforementioned app, or else if by some miracle I do get something to play, all I get endless ads and a black screen with sound but no picture.

According to another poster above the Android TV apk works on his Fire TV, so I'm looking to replicate same, I just need a hand finding the RTE android TV apk first though!

Would really appreciate any help.

Thanks guys! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

They take in plenty of money to pay for it with minimal or no advertising yet choose to spend almost 3 times the licence fee money for the entire annual online budget per year on the rich mans Orchestras (yes 2 there's 2 RTE Orchestras), joke of an organisation.

?width=630&version=3502480

https://www.thejournal.ie/rte-losses-2016-2-3502547-Jul2017/

RTE have the nerve to call these the" National Orchestras" and, we are told to LOVE our orchestras which are paid for from national licence fees but, rarely perform outside the M50.
    So,where is the national element other than the nation paying for Dublin orchestras.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Has the new rte player come back onto LG tvs yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Has the new rte player come back onto LG tvs yet?
    Tweeted RTÉ Player on the 10th Jan, had the same thing as most people with LG TVs, updated and then rolled back after a couple of days. Their response was the usual stock response "Coming soon! We're just adding the final touches to it" ~ Still waiting! Android app works fine for me if I want to cast the player.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 JMcGee

Still waiting to hear some news on the Apple TV app. When someone says "coming soon" to me that means a few weeks at most. They're a shambles. I'm starting to wonder if their main priority isn't to stop people downloading episodes instead of first building something desireable. Everytime I use BBC iPlayer I just wish to fawk they had copied this outright.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Just tried using the player on Edge (work computer - don't judge) and it seems to get stuck in a loop. Pick the show to watch, press play. Ads run, then a play symbol appears with the show to be watched, pressing that just restarts the ads.

Known issue I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

dulpit wrote: »
    Just tried using the player on Edge (work computer - don't judge) and it seems to get stuck in a loop. Pick the show to watch, press play. Ads run, then a play symbol appears with the show to be watched, pressing that just restarts the ads.

Known issue I wonder?

I get that sometimes on Chrome. Sometimes I have to try Edge, Chrome and FireFox to get one that works. Pain in the arse.

Moyglish wrote: »
    Could anyone please point me in the direction of an Android TV version of the APK, or if it wouldn't be too much hassle, rip me a version that I could sideload onto a Fire TV please?

I've been trying to get a working version of the new RTE working with no success.

The apks I've found are for the app for touch screen devices, so the fire tv remote or a keyboard won't work to navigate and you can't move the page. The Web browser version just redirects you to download the aforementioned app, or else if by some miracle I do get something to play, all I get endless ads and a black screen with sound but no picture.

According to another poster above the Android TV apk works on his Fire TV, so I'm looking to replicate same, I just need a hand finding the RTE android TV apk first though!

Would really appreciate any help.

Thanks guys! :)

Responded to your PM so hope it helps you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

old player allowed me to watch rte content here in germany using a vpn. new player has locked me out . anyone abroad got it working ? thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

Right lads riddle me this. I'm Ireland and RTE player works perfectly on my android phone but can't get it to work on the android box.
    Here's where it gets strange at least to me maybe someone here can explain it.
    If I use a VPN on the box the player works. But the content is limited with most of the box sets missing.
    WTF

• Registered Users Posts: 33 JMcGee

Still no Apple TV app. What a shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

reni10 wrote: »
    Responded to your PM so hope it helps you :)

Hi, can you also send me details of the Android TV apk for Fire TV?
    Thank you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Scrubbing passed the buffer seems f'd at the minute, dont remember that before? Anyone else?
    CHROME VERSION
    OS VERSION
    Windows NT: 10.0.14393

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

ED E wrote: »
    Scrubbing passed the buffer seems f'd at the minute, dont remember that before? Anyone else?

I've had this on the android and web version since the new version was launched, if I want to fast forward I couldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Have android version 6.01 and it won't work beyond the ads and 2 seconds of show I picked. Very annoying.

I have often defended RT But the android app is a bait and switch operation as it shows the ads, but only a few seconds of the programme. Such a seamless ability to show ads without any content is treating the customer with contempt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭sk8board

I was switching on the Ireland Georgia match on my 4-5 year old Samsung smart tv in the kids play room last night and noticed that the ‘live’ option has been removed from the updated smart tv RTÉ player app - so you can’t play live tv but can play historical programming.
    Could this really be the case/be intentional?

It may be some issue with having a slightly older smart tv, but it’s definitely the updated app.

Advertisement