Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Radio Station pulls "Baby it's cold outside" due to the #MeToo movement

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

I'd love to comment on this but more than likely the femminists, blue pill mangina's snowflakes, social justice warrior's​, millennials and the easily offended will make a complaint.

So just make up your own minds what my comment would be...

By the way it would be absolutely controversial,and I'd be banned for another month...

So I'm behaving myself on this subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

nthclare wrote: »
    I'd love to comment on this but more than likely the femminists, blue pill mangina's snowflakes, social justice warrior's​, millennials and the easily offended will make a complaint.

By the way it would be absolutely controversial,and I'd be banned for another month...

So I'm behaving myself on this subject.

You poor little martyr. :D

Read the thread - the overwhelming reaction has been along the lines of “Wut?”. I don’t see many people defending the radio station here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

nthclare wrote: »

Um... "This is a bullsh1t move by the radio station - the song is not remotely about forcing her to have sex, and this is the result of offence-seeking by 'femminists, blue pill mangina's snowflakes, social justice warrior's, millennials'"?

Kinda pointless to post "I want to say something but I'm afraid I'll get banned". Like a kid singing "I know something you don't know!"

Why bother?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I am anti-misogyny and pro-#Me Too but this is a bit extreme. The song is hardly an example of extreme misogyny. Neither is it a Christmas song either. Heard it first by Ray Charles on a greatest hits album and never considered it to be a Christmas song.

Jingle Bells was never intended to be a Xmas song. No mention of the Xmas anywhere in it, yet here we are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Both of them should be sentenced to life without parole for the way they butchered that song.

Um... "This is a bullsh1t move by the radio station - the song is not remotely about forcing her to have sex, and this is the result of offence-seeking by 'femminists, blue pill mangina's snowflakes, social justice warrior's, millennials'"?

Kinda pointless to post "I want to say something but I'm afraid I'll get banned". Like a kid singing "I know something you don't know!"

Why bother?

Exactly, why bother ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I am anti-misogyny and pro-#Me Too but this is a bit extreme. The song is hardly an example of extreme misogyny. Neither is it a Christmas song either. Heard it first by Ray Charles on a greatest hits album and never considered it to be a Christmas song.

Has anyone checked through all the Christmas Songs for misogyny though? That's what I want to know...should we remove the actions of all men from songs until we do know?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Both of them should be sentenced to life without parole for the way they butchered that song.

The first pairing of lines was enough for me. Kill them now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Jingle Bells was never intended to be a Xmas song. No mention of the Xmas anywhere in it, yet here we are

All true. Jingle Bells is a winter song as is Winter Wonderland and Let it Snow. Somewhere they became associated with Christmas. Let it Snow could equally be banned for the same reason as It's Cold Outside as it is the same theme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Felicity Mango Velour

Louise O Neill is dancing with joy with the news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Who cares.

Let people pretend they are offended.

At this stage they are the winners here as they get the reaction from others being offended by them pretending to be offended.

Oh and it is a god awful listen.

People

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    The whole song is balanced out in what is being said by both parties.

The real focus on "what's in this drink" but she then says she'll have another cigarette and she also thinks more about her reputation rather than not wanting to be there.

You can pick lines here and there but in the context of how people would talk to each other even now it is fine.

The lyrics in this duet are designed to be heard as a conversation between two people, identified as "mouse" (usually female) and "wolf" (usually male) on the printed score; they are at the wolf's home and the mouse decides it is time to go home, but the wolf flirtatiously invites the mouse to stay as it is late and "it's cold outside." The mouse states that he/she has enjoyed the time and agrees at one point to another drink, but the mouse also says "the answer is no" and tries to return home, worried what family and neighbors will think.[4] Every line in the song features a statement from the mouse followed by a response from the wolf, which is musically known as a call and response song.

***Although some critical analyses of the song have highlighted parts of the lyrics such as "What's in this drink?" and the wolf's unrelenting pressure for the mouse to stay in spite of her repeated suggestions that she should go home,[5] others have noted that cultural expectations of the time period were such that women were not socially permitted to spend the night with a boyfriend or fiancé, and that the mouse states that she wants to stay, while "What's in this drink?" was a common idiom of the period used to rebuke social expectations by blaming one's actions on the influence of alcohol***

The lyrics in this duet are designed to be heard as a conversation between two people, identified as "mouse" (usually female) and "wolf" (usually male) on the printed score; they are at the wolf's home and the mouse decides it is time to go home, but the wolf flirtatiously invites the mouse to stay as it is late and "it's cold outside." The mouse states that he/she has enjoyed the time and agrees at one point to another drink, but the mouse also says "the answer is no" and tries to return home, worried what family and neighbors will think.[4] Every line in the song features a statement from the mouse followed by a response from the wolf, which is musically known as a call and response song.

***Although some critical analyses of the song have highlighted parts of the lyrics such as "What's in this drink?" and the wolf's unrelenting pressure for the mouse to stay in spite of her repeated suggestions that she should go home,[5] others have noted that cultural expectations of the time period were such that women were not socially permitted to spend the night with a boyfriend or fiancé, and that the mouse states that she wants to stay, while "What's in this drink?" was a common idiom of the period used to rebuke social expectations by blaming one's actions on the influence of alcohol***

And also, it's cold outside.

And the fire is delightful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Snowflakes ruining everything.

I'm offended by your plagiarism

• Advertisement

I'm offended by your plagiarism

Can't be arsed writing it all out so you can shove your offence up your jaxie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Why would a wolf want to have sex with a mouse anyway.

Why would a wolf want to have sex with a mouse anyway.

Birds ride bees don't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I'd wish they would ban Fairytale of New York or put a limit on the number of times it can be played.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

biko wrote: »

The irony.

• Advertisement

Can't be arsed writing it all out so you can shove your offence up your jaxie.

This doesn't offend me.

I'm on the oh fence with this one....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Where did all these creepy weirdos come from?

Culture is so strange today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Where did all these creepy weirdos come from?

Culture is so strange today.

It's culture...Soviet style!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

biko wrote: »

Except snow

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭John Sacrimoni

I think we're overdue a planet killing meteor strike at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

Wow, anti pc people have become the very thing they complain about. Always ready to go overboard on any perceived PC issue. It's gotten so predictable that people are taking advantage of it for publicity.

This is a radio station in Cleveland! How many of ye could even show where Cleveland is on a map?

For the record, the song is a bit creepy by modern day standards. People are still free to play the song though.

One good way of seeing the creepiness is singing it in mixed company. Every Christmas a group of my friends get together to sing carols at a friend's house.

We've sang that song with the guys singing the male part and the women singing the female part. You can feel the awkwardness in the room. It has not aged well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

vetinari wrote: »
    Wow, anti pc people have become the very thing they complain about. Always ready to go overboard on any perceived PC issue. It's gotten so predictable that people are taking advantage of it for publicity.

This is a radio station in Cleveland! How many of ye could even show where Cleveland is on a map?

For the record, the song is a bit creepy by modern day standards. People are still free to play the song though.

One good way of seeing the creepiness is singing it in mixed company. Every Christmas a group of my friends get together to sing carols at a friend's house.

We've sang that song with the guys singing the male part and the women singing the female part. You can feel the awkwardness in the room. It has not aged well!

I know where Cleveland is. For those who want to read about it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland

PC is needed but like all movements can be taken to the extreme. There is an extreme and a moderate in everything.

Baby It's Cold Outside is just an inoffensive novelty song. I first heard it by Ray Charles and am also familiar with a Dean Martin version. More recently, Michael Buble did another version I am familiar with. I never particularly associated it with Christmas and never considered it misogynist. I wonder would the PC extremists also think Luck be a Lady by the same composer would be misogynist too!!??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Another who apparently hasn’t read the thread. Nobody here seems remotely outraged or to agree with the station, they’re just discussing the ban. Are you and others so keen to mash the keyboard to give out about PC gone mad or whatever that any hint of it sets you off?

Oh and I did know where Cleveland was, not that it even matters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

As long as it's an all female meteor strike or there'll be Hell to pay!!!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

They should stick to non-Christmas music, it's less offensive.

Meteor 2018WV1 is passing close by tomorrow!

https://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sstr=2018%20WV1&orb=1

Floppybits wrote: »
    I'd wish they would ban Fairytale of New York or put a limit on the number of times it can be played.
    Well that song has already been bastardised due to the fact that it has the word fággot in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Cleveland

lol

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Baby it's cold outside does not clarify what type of relationship the protagonists have. My guess is that they have not yet had sex. The song could be about their second or third date.

In that context, repeatedly insisting that the other person stay when they say they need to leave is straddling the sleazy line. It's in the 10 nos and 1 yes equals yes territory.

There's greater recognition these days about the power dynamic between the sexes. It's no longer deemed okay to treat women as something to be badgered in submission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

North Ohio on lake erie .

Almost directly half way between pittsburgh and detroit as the crow flies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Baby it's cold outside does not clarify what type of relationship the protagonists have. My guess is that they have not yet had sex. The song could be about their second or third date.

Wiki has the following on it which seems fair enough:
    During the 1940s, when Hollywood celebrities attended parties, they were expected to perform. In 1944, Frank Loesser wrote "Baby, It's Cold Outside" for his wife, Lynn Garland, and himself to sing at a housewarming party in New York City at the Navarro Hotel. They sang the song to indicate to guests that it was time to leave. Loesser often introduced himself as the "evil of two Loessers" because of the role he played in the song.

Garland wrote that after the first performance, "We become instant parlor room stars. We got invited to all the best parties for years on the basis of 'Baby.' It was our ticket to caviar and truffles. Parties were built around our being the closing act." In 1948, after years of performing the song, Loesser sold it to MGM for the 1949 romantic comedy Neptune's Daughter. Garland was furious. She wrote, "I felt as betrayed as if I'd caught him in bed with another woman."

In the film, "Baby, It's Cold Outside" was sung by Esther Williams and Ricardo Montalbán, then by Betty Garrett and Red Skelton, who reversed the roles. The song won the Academy Award.

The lyrics in this duet are designed to be heard as a conversation between two people, identified as "mouse" (usually female) and "wolf" (usually male) on the printed score; they are at the wolf's home and the mouse decides it is time to go home, but the wolf flirtatiously invites the mouse to stay as it is late and "it's cold outside." The mouse states that he/she has enjoyed the time and agrees at one point to another drink, but the mouse also says "the answer is no" and tries to return home, worried what family and neighbors will think. Every line in the song features a statement from the mouse followed by a response from the wolf, which is musically known as a call and response song.

Although some critical analyses of the song have highlighted parts of the lyrics such as "What's in this drink?" and the wolf's unrelenting pressure for the mouse to stay in spite of her repeated suggestions that she should go home, others have noted that cultural expectations of the time period were such that women were not socially permitted to spend the night with a boyfriend or fiancé, and that the mouse states that she wants to stay, while "What's in this drink?" was a common idiom of the period used to rebuke social expectations by blaming one's actions on the influence of alcohol.

Next up. "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" banned for childhood PTSD.

Every Christmas a group of my friends get together to sing carols at a friend's house.

Christ it's like something out of a straight to dvd US "holiday" feel-good movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

So no one complained and an obscure radio station in a country thousands of miles away isn't playing a song any more? Whats all this rubbish about "snowflakes"?

In that context, repeatedly insisting that the other person stay when they say they need to leave is straddling the sleazy line. It's in the 10 nos and 1 yes equals yes territory.

There's greater recognition these days about the power dynamic between the sexes. It's no longer deemed okay to treat women as something to be badgered in submission.

It's a fcuking song, a piece of fiction for entertainment, which you're making assumptions about.

This entire thread is about what the song means. I have no clue what point you're attempting to make.

Arguments referencing the songs background don't negate the lyrics of the actual song. The characters in the song aren't married.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Did the same radio station stop playing Gary Glitters 'Another Rock 'n' Roll Christmas?

You know, a guy actually involved in child rape.

Excellent point.
    With me too we've got an attitude that sees inappropriate behaviour towards grown women as more shocking than paedophilia.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

nullzero wrote: »
    Excellent point.
    With me too we've got an attitude that sees inappropriate behaviour towards grown women as more shocking than paedophilia.

We really don't though.

I'd say the extreme majority of people would happily see a pedo hang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

That song isn't OK but this rap and hundreds of similar contemporary lyrics are fine

Kool G Rap – Hey Mister

“Last week I beat my bitch up in the street for lyin to me”

“Can’t wait to see this bitch cause I'mma beat her ass in public”

“Bitch why you lyin, bitch you’ve been cheatin
    Now I gotsa to give your mother****in ass a beatin”

“I punched her in the ribcage and kicked her in the stomach”

“Pulled my zipper down, whipped out my dick and made her sExplainuck it
    I’m rammin my dick inside of her mouth and tryin to make her choke
    Then I grabbed the back of her head and shot come down her throat
    I beat her and I dissed the bitch for tryin to steal my cash
    So yo don’t interrupt me when I’m whoopin on my bitch ass”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Sonics2k wrote: »
    We really don't though.

I'd say the extreme majority of people would happily see a pedo hang.

The #metoo movement has been a massive visible issue since it started. A similar campaign trying to highlight paedophilia in Hollywood has been surpressed at the same time.
    I don't dispute that the average person feels the way you have outlined.

We all got into a twist about Bill Clinton getting a BJ in the 90's but he was also getting on private jets with Jeffrey epstein (a convicted paedophile) to go to his private island where rich people were abusing children, hardly anyone knows about it.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

professore wrote: »
    That song isn't OK but this rap and hundreds of similar contemporary lyrics are fine

Kool G Rap – Hey Mister

“Last week I beat my bitch up in the street for lyin to me”

“Can’t wait to see this bitch cause I'mma beat her ass in public”

“Bitch why you lyin, bitch you’ve been cheatin
    Now I gotsa to give your mother****in ass a beatin”

“I punched her in the ribcage and kicked her in the stomach”

“Pulled my zipper down, whipped out my dick and made her sExplainuck it
    I’m rammin my dick inside of her mouth and tryin to make her choke
    Then I grabbed the back of her head and shot come down her throat
    I beat her and I dissed the bitch for tryin to steal my cash
    So yo don’t interrupt me when I’m whoopin on my bitch ass”

Nice tune bro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Back in 1944 its well possible they would have just kissed and cuddled in front of the fire - in fact that's all I ever read into it. Now everyone assumes that every interaction with the opposite sex is always about sex, and always initiated by the man. This wasn't the case even back in the "misogynist" 80s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

After listening to that crap I'll purge my ears with NIN 'Closer'

[video contains nudity and strong fucking language]

Damn thing won't embed, and I'm too hungover to give a crap lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTFwQP86BRs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

So you'd rather the woman walked home in the snow, got frostbite and lost all her fingers and toes? What kind of monster are you?

• Advertisement
Advertisement