Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uses for OLD PC

Options
  • 01-12-2018 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

I have an old Dell studio hybrid (the original NUC - about a decade earlier).

Dug it out today, had considered leaving it plugged into the TV, but it struggles with rte player, and higher definition youtube (unsurprisingly).

Its basically laptop spec from 10+ years ago - and not a particularly good one at that!

I was considering trying to set it up as a VPN server, but thought others might have some ideas, or what they have re-purposed old PCs for.

Suggestions welcome

9161-img6571s-1.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Get a Linux distro on there then look into running pihole in docker for full network wide adblock on all devices including crApple. Then using docker also install home assistant. You can still also use it as a NAS or whatever else you want to do with it. Plex/Emby would be fine also as long as you're not wanting to transcode, there are docker images available for them also.

https://pi-hole.net/
    Pi-hole®: A black hole for Internet advertisements – curl -sSL https ...
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XWPluWcYRMI
    🎥 The Beginner's Guide to Home Assistant - HassIO - YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

sugarman wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, although they've a laptop CPU they're socketed and can be upgraded easily.

Whatever the top compatible Core2Duo laptop CPU of the time was, you could prob pick it up for a few cents or possibly even free if you kept an eye out.

Prob takes max 2x2GB DDR2 too, again can be got for pennies these days if you wanted to go down the upgrading route.

Should run W7 Starter fine, but optimal use these days would be a Linux distro.

Can also be used for a NAS / Plex / Home server, or a basic Web Server.

Yeah, i already did that, swapped a T3200 for a T9300 CPU and upgraded the ram to 4GB, and threw in an SSD. It's running Windows 7 alright, just doesn't have enough grunt for buttery smooth 1080p playback. No need for a home server.

The other thought was of using it as a retro console, SNES, mame etc

sugarman wrote: »
    Try Linux running Retroarch.

Should handle everything up PS1/N64 fine.

Will try this out and see how it is. Might keep nephews/nieces busy Christmas day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Some good ideas there. Not heard of them before!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Yeah, i already did that, swapped a T3200 for a T9300 CPU and upgraded the ram to 4GB, and threw in an SSD. It's running Windows 7 alright, just doesn't have enough grunt for buttery smooth 1080p playback. No need for a home server.

The other thought was of using it as a retro console, SNES, mame etc

My laptop with a similar spec is the same. Just can't do video. WHich is a problem for web media.

Ironically my cheap as chips atom based netbook has no problem with FHD.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Anything you can do with it can probably be done with a pi 3. After you calculate the power usage of running something like this 24/7 it's cheaper to buy the pi.

tuxy wrote: »
    Anything you can do with it can probably be done with a pi 3. After you calculate the power usage of running something like this 24/7 it's cheaper to buy the pi.

I know, it won't be running 24/7 though. Worst comes to worst I'll just pull the SSD and HDD and scrap the rest. The idea about the VPN server was so mates abroad could watch the GAA during the summer

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I had one of those as well. I got it pretty cheap and it was a cracker of a machine in its day. I sold mine a while ago on adverts and got 50 euro for it. Mine still had the original t4300 processor in it so you might get a bit more with that upgraded one.

Advertisement