Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oneplus 6t US version

• 01-12-2018 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

A couple of questions. I can get the oneplus 6t delivered to an American friend of mine who is coming over for Christmas for $549 from the US site.It is the 6gb ram version .Firstly,will it work in Ireland? and is it a good deal? Thanks.The 8gb version is $579.

PS
    Same phone is €400 on Gearbest but I dont know much about their service.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭cnolan

wondering the same. I expect with a US phone you will get a US charging plug and everything else will be the same. so the cable will still work but if you don't have the fast charging Irish plug it won't be as fast as is available?

I expect that is the only change and the phone will work in Ireland. I emailed the customer support today asking why there is a 75 euro price difference after conversion between the US/Canadian markets ( 75 euro cheaper than europe and other countries outside of europe I spot checked). The phone I am after is 629 euro and in America it is 629 dollars. Which is a massive saving.

Maybe the EU has massive tariffs that US and Canada don't have. Or maybe the American market 330 million population (+ more for north america as a whole) is so massive that the economies of scale are able to keep the price lower. Or maybe it is just priced efficiently at the right price to maximise profits in different jurisdictions. I'm not sure if that is true as India's price is almost the same after conversion as the EU and if they were pricing better for devoloping countries ( like companies such as the accounting bodies ACCA do) then you'd expect India to be cheaper than Ireland.

Anyway if Oneplus explains why the price is different or a good reason not to buy from america I will let you know.

Have you already bought this or did you hold off?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

cnolan wrote: »
    wondering the same. I expect with a US phone you will get a US charging plug and everything else will be the same. so the cable will still work but if you don't have the fast charging Irish plug it won't be as fast as is available?

I expect that is the only change and the phone will work in Ireland. I emailed the customer support today asking why there is a 75 euro price difference after conversion between the US/Canadian markets ( 75 euro cheaper than europe and other countries outside of europe I spot checked). The phone I am after is 629 euro and in America it is 629 dollars. Which is a massive saving.

Maybe the EU has massive tariffs that US and Canada don't have. Or maybe the American market 330 million population (+ more for north america as a whole) is so massive that the economies of scale are able to keep the price lower. Or maybe it is just priced efficiently at the right price to maximise profits in different jurisdictions. I'm not sure if that is true as India's price is almost the same after conversion as the EU and if they were pricing better for devoloping countries ( like companies such as the accounting bodies ACCA do) then you'd expect India to be cheaper than Ireland.

Anyway if Oneplus explains why the price is different or a good reason not to buy from america I will let you know.

Have you already bought this or did you hold off?

Just get a US to EU plug adapter, and plug the US fast charger into it and then regular Irish socket.

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/home-appliances/home-accessories/travel-accessories/masterplug-tavuk-mp-universal-to-uk-plug-adapter-10145117-pdt.html

Advertisement