Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January Transfer Window Gifts and Sales

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Isn't Hudson-Odoi being heavily linked with a move to the Bundesliga? I've read Bayern are interested in him. I think it would be poor business for Chelsea if they go ahead with that.

Bayern back in with a third offer of 30m quid.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jan/03/callum-hudson-odoi-chelsea-bayern-munich-bid

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Bayern back in with a third offer of 30m quid.

18 months left on his contract, never started a league game & when he did play he didn't look great vs Watford. That's a pretty crazy bid. Buying him doesn't mean you automatically have the next Sancho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

How good is this guy?
    Despite being big spenders, Bayern don't throw around cash too easily.

Considering Chelsea aren't overflowing with in form attackers at the moment, why isn't he getting more minutes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

JPA wrote: »
    How good is this guy?

Considering Chelsea aren't overflowing with in form attackers at the moment, why isn't he getting more minutes?

€40m is their record transfer, hardly big money in todays market. They just get players cheap because so many players run down their contract to go to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

JPA wrote: »
    How good is this guy?

He is only 18. Sarri has a very particular way of playing and he probably doesn't trust Odoi to do it his way. I'm sure Sarri has looked at Chelsea's history and decided player development is for the underage coaches.

It's still a mad bid considering Bayern's previous experience especially with Renato Sanchez.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Looks like Defoe and Steven Davis off to Rangers as per the Guardian. Big signings for them, Davis was the best player on the pitch against the Republic recently and Defoe should score plenty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,924 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Defoe will score goals for fun in that league even at his age.

Good move from bournemouth getting him off there wage bill too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The Bundesliga has more goals per game than any of the top 5 leagues so I think it's a good place for a young talented attacker to go and develop. Sancho and Nelson are tearing it up this season.

I think if Chelsea lose him without a buyback clause that's a big mistake. They seem to be making a lot of mistakes, frankly. They need upgrades on Pedro, Willian and Morata and their first step towards rectifying that was to get a guy - in the summer, not now - who hasn't been able to nail down a place at Dortmund because he's been kept out by an exciting young English prospect. And they're in danger of following this up by selling their own exciting young English prospect to another German club? The Premier League's loss will be the Bundesliga's gain.

Defoe and Davis to Rangers looks very good business. A few more players of that calibre and it's all to play for in Scotland.

Disappointed to hear Leonardo Jardim seems to be China-bound with Dalian Yifang. He's too young to be going for a move like that. Could do a job for plenty of teams in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Clyne on loan to Bournemouth. That’s a strange one? Seems a bit stupid by Liverpool.

• Advertisement

Jason Puncheon from Crystal Palace to Huddersfield on loan looks likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Johner wrote: »
    Clyne on loan to Bournemouth. That’s a strange one? Seems a bit stupid by Liverpool.

Solanke is meant to be going to Bournemouth too, 19m.

Says Paul Joyce, I wonder will Chelsea get some compensation out of that deal and more worringly, will we spend 60m on Wilson. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Solanke is meant to be going to Bournemouth too, 19m.

Says Paul Joyce, I wonder will Chelsea get some compensation out of that deal and more worringly, will we spend 60m on Wilson. :o

Wilson would be a good signing but maybe for 40 odd million rather than anything ridiculous (relative, obviously it is a ridiculous amount). He'd surely be likely to outscore Giroud and Morata in that team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Solanke confirmed now.

Bournemouths transfers are always a bit confusing.

Liam O wrote: »
    Wilson would be a good signing but maybe for 40 odd million rather than anything ridiculous (relative, obviously it is a ridiculous amount). He'd surely be likely to outscore Giroud and Morata in that team?

I'd take a 40 odd year old Drogba over Morata or Giroud right now. :o

I'd prefer if we kept the money for the summer as Bournemouth would want insane money for Wilson but that also goes on the assumption we'd be in the CL and be more attractive on the back of it to players, the flip side of that is if we dont start scoring now, we probably wont be in the CL.

I'm not a fan of Wilson anyway, I think hes in a side setup to his strengths but ask him to do a similar hold up/Link up role with Chelsea and he'll suffer, his game, like Morata is all about being on the last man and getting balls in behind.

Hes going through a great patch at the moment but it would be so typical Chelsea to sign him and needing to replace him in 18/24months time once he doesnt work in the system.

I'd be more in favour of bringing back Abraham or Batshauyi and at least having 3 CF options, at the moment, 2 isnt enough and the flase 9 with Hazard only works if Pedro and Willian are fit, which they arent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

I agree with Gavs stance on Wilson. He is in a team setup for him, and is doing well, but everything i have heard about Howe's approach is that he micromanages the players performance and improvement. If Wilsons performances are based on this (if its true) then im not sure he will get the same TLC from Sarri at Chelsea. He might do well at Spurs though.

I think he is a great big fish in a small pond. Not sure he would be a good small fish at a big pond.

• Advertisement

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Solanke confirmed now.

Bournemouths transfers are always a bit confusing.
    They've given some amount of cash to Liverpool for very mediocre players in the last few years

Pter wrote: »
    I agree with Gavs stance on Wilson. He is in a team setup for him, and is doing well, but everything i have heard about Howe's approach is that he micromanages the players performance and improvement. If Wilsons performances are based on this (if its true) then im not sure he will get the same TLC from Sarri at Chelsea. He might do well at Spurs though.

I think he is a great big fish in a small pond. Not sure he would be a good small fish at a big pond.

He wouldnt get enough games at Spurs though, only Chelsea, of all the top 6 sides currently need a CF, or one of their own to start scoring a few goals.

Its a move I cant see happening in January anyway unless Chelsea did throw mad money at Bournemouth and I just dont think hes worth the outlay.

Bournemouth are looking comfortable enough for another year of PL football, 11pts clear of 18th but they still wont want to sell their main source of goals, a lot of their play goes through Wilson and how he creates space for others.

Would Werner suit Chelsea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Solanke to Bournemouth for 19 million quid, jaysus.

Pter wrote: »
    Would Werner suit Chelsea?

hey! Liverpool would like him :) and/or Fekir of course

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/1081230626504798209?s=19

• Advertisement

hey! Liverpool would like him and/or Fekir of course

Ye should have said dibs so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Because fekir has been left out of a cup game against a fifth tier side that means he's been transferred?

****ing January transfer window

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Wonder if Klopp can convince Howe theres a special offer on Pool players and convince him to pay £30m for Markovic?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

rob316 wrote:
    ****ing January transfer window

Sky were orgasmic at the thought of Defoe joining Rangers last night. That sums up the parody coverage of transfer windows these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Officer999

Oliver Burke has joined Celtic on loan from West Brom

Godin signed a pre contract deal to join Inter in the summer. Surprised he left AM

Arsenal close to signing Dennis Suarez from Barca for 20 mill, always underwhelming from when I've seen him.

Gabbiadini close to joing Sampdoria as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Godin signed a pre contract deal to join Inter in the summer. Surprised he left AM

I don't really get why he would go to Inter, Miranda wants to leave because he isn't playing enough and I wouldn't be dropping Skriniar or de Vrij for him. I'm not saying that he's not good enough be he is about to turn 33 and I'd much prefer to stick with the other two and let them play together for a few years.

Gabbiadini close to joing Sampdoria as well

Southampton's striker recruitment has been so bad for so long. They should keep Ings as they've not paid for him yet, find one more high number xG forward and get rid of one of Long/Austin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Spanish press saying Liverpool top of the list for Coutihno and would like to take him back as he grows frustrated with lack of starts at Barcelona.

sugarman wrote: »
    They could get Ings for nothing in the summer.

Er nope, they signed a loan to buy deal.

https://www.the42.ie/danny-ings-leaves-liverpool-in-e22-million-deal-4173070-Aug2018/

Pay attention :)

• Advertisement

Spanish press saying Liverpool top of the list for Coutihno and would like to take him back as he grows frustrated with lack of starts at Barcelona.

How much? :D There is no way on earth that Coutinho would return given the way he left. It would reflect badly on the club. He'll probably shuffle off to PSG if he leaves in a swap/cash deal for Mbappe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Would he even start for Liverpool if he went back?

https://twitter.com/tancredipalmeri/status/1081869449542729728

"Morata entering proper negotiations with Sevilla.
    Chelsea keen to let him go only if an alternative will come."

https://twitter.com/SiPhillipsSport/status/1081892808418570241

"Nothing solid, but I’ve been told over the last 24 hours that Karim Benzema to Chelsea could become a thing this window. Reports of interest, and even talks already."

https://twitter.com/swearimnotpaul/status/1082206206503075843

"Borussia Dortmund are interested in RB Leipzig’s Timo Werner, and could include Maximilian Philipp as part of a deal to sign the striker, according to Bild"

• https://www.football365.com/news/barca-director-reveals-coutinho-future-amid-man-utd-links

Coutinho to Utd rumors surfacing.

I'd say it's a case of using Man U as a contract tool as per usual.

Imagine the meltdown if it was true :P

Given how much Coutinho cost Barca, theres a very limited amounted of clubs that could afford him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

https://www.football365.com/news/barca-director-reveals-coutinho-future-amid-man-utd-links

Coutinho to Utd rumors surfacing.

I'd say it's a case of using Man U as a contract tool as per usual.

Imagine the meltdown if it was true :P

He only signed his first contract with Barcelona 12 months ago, I highly doubt he is using United as a contract tool.

Anyways, we all know United only sign washed up 30+ year old players now :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Ah, my twice yearly hopes, that Keisuke Honda might one day sign for Liverpool, already dashed by the OP.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Chelsea wont let Fabregas leave until they get a replacement. That seems odd. Surely Loftus-Cheek will be asking to leave if another new midfielder arrives?

• Advertisement

• FitzShane wrote: »
    He only signed his first contract with Barcelona 12 months ago, I highly doubt he is using United as a contract tool.

Anyways, we all know United only sign washed up 30+ year old players now :pac:

Tbf it's happened with plenty of players in the past 4 years or so.
    Annoying as a Utd fan!
    Agent leaks something to press in order to put sweats on the Club the player is currently with.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Chelsea wont let Fabregas leave until they get a replacement. That seems odd. Surely Loftus-Cheek will be asking to leave if another new midfielder arrives?

Sarri mentioned 5 CMs yesterday in his press conference although we only have 4 of our own as Kovacic is on loan.

Thats Kante, RLC, Jorginho, Barkley but we've nobody that can really play the Jorginho role if hes not available.

I know we were linked with 2 CMs but I cant see 2 being signed this window, RLC has been used as RW too recently but his injuries have robbed him of more game time, I cant see him leaving anyway. If I was getting rid of a CM, other than Cesc or Drinkwater (hows he still here is beyond me) it would be Barkley.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Dembele off to China it seems. £11 million.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46792282

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1082585346779561984

"BREAKING: Sky sources: @ChelseaFC close to agreeing deals for Cagliari midfielder Nicolo Barella and Zenit St Petersburg midfielder Leandro Paredes. "

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1082616043674263559

BREAKING: Sky sources: @SpursOfficial have accepted an offer in the region of £9m from Beijing Sinobo Guoan for Mousa Dembele.

https://twitter.com/FCPorto/status/1082615598188818433

Pepe has joined Porto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Bayern have upped their bid for hudson odoi to 35m.

How much did dortmund pay for sancho?? Him and nelson in germany seem to have opened eyes to good english kids getting no gametime

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I've not seen it posted, but Vicente Iborra left Leicester for Villarreal yesterday. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46786225

retalivity wrote: »
    Bayern have upped their bid for hudson odoi to 35m.

How much did dortmund pay for sancho?? Him and nelson in germany seem to have opened eyes to good english kids getting no gametime

Meant to be about €10m

• Spurs selling more players?
    Can their squad continue to get stretched this thinly...very odd.
    I know he's injured but still.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Spurs selling more players?
    Can their squad continue to get stretched this thinly...very odd.
    I know he's injured but still.

I believe that he's out of contract at the end of the season and isn't signing another.
    He would be one of the players aging and stuck in the stick payment structure at Spurs, so a payday in China to see out his career would be a good option for him.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I think he wanted a few more years on his contract, and Levy seems reluctant to give anyone over 30 more then a year. Reasonable enough on both sides. He has also been injured for a while now, and not really played a central role all season.

We are quite light in midfield though, so a new player would be ideal...but this is Spurs, so we'll see.

• Advertisement
Advertisement