Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January Transfer Window Gifts and Sales

Comments

• Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I believe that he's out of contract at the end of the season and isn't signing another.
    He would be one of the players aging and stuck in the stick payment structure at Spurs, so a payday in China to see out his career would be a good option for him.

I can agree with this sentiment but surely he needs to be replaced before letting him go.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I can agree with this sentiment but surely he needs to be replaced before letting him go.

They've been playing a few younger players there lately I think, plus Winks seems to be coming along nicely for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Kiith wrote: »
    I think he wanted a few more years on his contract, and Levy seems reluctant to give anyone over 30 more then a year. Reasonable enough on both sides. He has also been injured for a while now, and not really played a central role all season.

We are quite light in midfield though, so a new player would be ideal...but this is Spurs, so we'll see.

Who are your CM now? Winks and Sisoko? Then Alli, Erikson and Son ahead of them?

Definitely could do with an upgrade on those two. Sissoko has been decent recently but rubbish before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Sure we have Oliver Skipp, it'll be grand!

Our squad is also overloaded with non English trained players, meaning there was no room for Foyth in our CL squad, so we need to trim some of the foreigners to make room for Foyth and any new signings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Chelsea really must be getting some sort of information about a likely transfer ban from FIFA, little else can explain this splurge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Chelsea really must be getting some sort of information about a likely transfer ban from FIFA, little else can explain this splurge.

Could be but we've a raft of s**t players that dont suit Sarris system that need replacing. Theres at least 6 first team players that could go tomorrow that wont be missed, we also need a CF more than anything else.

Given we've thrown away points to Southampton and Leicester in recent weeks too, a very comfortable 4th position has suddenly become under threat from a revitalised Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Is Kante going to be available in the summer? Would be an incredible signing for a host of top teams. I remember Mbappe saying he tried to convince him to go to PSG last summer. I'd love him at United alongside Pogba but I can't see Chelsea selling him to a Premier League club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Novalee Gigantic Escalator

Is Kante going to be available in the summer? Would be an incredible signing for a host of top teams. I remember Mbappe saying he tried to convince him to go to PSG last summer. I'd love him at United alongside Pogba but I can't see Chelsea selling him to a Premier League club.

signed a 5 year contract about a month ago....the rumour Is Chelsea are going to get a 2 window ban, but appealing it and itll be reduced to 1....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Hazard is leaving

Then they'll need to buy a striker not yet another midfielder! Speaking of which it looks like Higuain could be on his way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Benjamin Pavard - France's right-back at the World Cup who scored that absolute wonder goal - is joining Bayern in the summer from Stuttgart.

Looks like Bayern are taking their under-performance this season very seriously. Rumoured move for Lucas Hernandez from Atletico too, as well as the much-publicised pursuit of Callum Hudson-Odoi and the signing of Alphonso Davies.

A lot of their players have been mainstays in the first team for quite some time and Ribery, Robben and a few others will surely move on now, so will need an influx of talent throughout the side. Few other signings haven't performed and rumours about Hummels moving on too. Feel like he has never reached the heights he showed at Dortmund since his move.

Obviously more than enough talent there to build an incredible team around - Thiago, Alaba, Martinez, Kimmich and Goretzka - but certainly need to see a step up in performance throughout the side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Yannick Carrasco is meant to be on Arsenals radar after joining a Chinese side back in January 2018.

Reported by a very ITK Belgian journalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Benjamin Pavard - France's right-back at the World Cup who scored that absolute wonder goal - is joining Bayern in the summer from Stuttgart.
    Was very surprised he didnt get a big move after the WC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Pavard usually played CB, so i could understand the Hummels out rumours given this transfer.

Wonder if Klopp at Poll or Mislentat at Arsenal will get hummels. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Will Grigg is likely to join Sunderland on loan from Wigan apparently.

60 odd goals in 120 odd games at League One level in the last few seasons and their fans aren't too pleased about it despite him seemingly not being up to much at Championship level.

If that comes off it may well be enough to push Sunderland over the edge for promotion this season.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Pter wrote: »
    Pavard usually played CB, so i could understand the Hummels out rumours given this transfer.

Wonder if Klopp at Poll or Mislentat at Arsenal will get hummels. :P

I think that Hummels has been on the decline defensively for the last year or so, he's slowing down or something.
    But the last few times I've seen him play, he still is graceful as ever on the ball and gets it back to front quickly.

I'd like to see him at Anfield initially on a temp basis beside VVD to see what he can do.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I think that Hummels has been on the decline defensively for the last year or so, he's slowing down or something.
    But the last few times I've seen him play, he still is graceful as ever on the ball and gets it back to front quickly.

I'd like to see him at Anfield initially on a temp basis beside VVD to see what he can do.

Well personally im hoping Snr. Ranieri is on a plane to Munich to seal the deal, but i can a use for a CB who can read the game and be in the right spot, even if he is slow.

Id say Arsenal would take him as an upgrade on Mustafi anyway. They need someone in there who wont make silly mistakes.

Could also see him at Chelsea if they let Luiz go after his contract expires.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Boom_Bap wrote: »

I don't think he'd be brought in on big wages in his 30's, and don't see him moving for a significant wage cut as there'd be a number of teams interested if he was available.

He already gets paid more than Alisson, Henderson, Fabinho etc for comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/guardian_sport/status/1082940243370741765

Pavard to join Bayern for £31.5 million in the summer.
    The German clubs have a transfer cap hence the negotiations about the Hudson Odoi fee and Bayern not wanting to go above £35 million.

• Advertisement

Transfer cap? Never heard of it. How can they be expected to compete with Juve/Real/Barca/PSG and the PL Big Six? Sure some good players will happily sign up for a likely Bulli title but they are clearly shut out of a Kane/Salah type buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

https://twitter.com/guardian_sport/status/1082940243370741765

Pavard to join Bayern for £31.5 million in the summer.
    The German clubs have a transfer cap hence the negotiations about the Hudson Odoi fee and Bayern not wanting to go above £35 million.
    Never heard of it, a quick search shows Bayern have signed 4 players for over 35 million and Draxler went to Wolfsburg for 43

https://www.transfermarkt.com/bundesliga/transferrekorde/wettbewerb/L1/saison_id/alle/land_id/alle/ausrichtung//spielerposition_id//altersklasse//leihe//w_s//zuab/zu/plus/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Paully D wrote: »
    Will Grigg is likely to join Sunderland on loan from Wigan apparently.

60 odd goals in 120 odd games at League One level in the last few seasons and their fans aren't too pleased about it despite him seemingly not being up to much at Championship level.

If that comes off it may well be enough to push Sunderland over the edge for promotion this season.

Hopefully developed a soft spot for ye after that documentary.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The German clubs have a transfer cap

They most definitely do not have a transfer cap. Bayern are willing to pay Lucas Hernandez' €85m buy out clause as well as spending €70m on these two players. No other German club can keep up with Bayerns spending and they won't go into debt to keep up, but it's not a cap.

They most definitely do not have a transfer cap. Bayern are willing to pay Lucas Hernandez' €85m buy out clause as well as spending €70m on these two players. No other German club can keep up with Bayerns spending and they won't go into debt to keep up, but it's not a cap.

There was a guy on OTB the other night talking about Bundesliga clubs and the ownership structure,one point was that they can't go splashing the cash like EPL clubs and there are restrictions in place.

AS claim that Levy has put a €250 million price tag on Ericksen after Madrid made enquiries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

There was a guy on OTB the other night talking about Bundesliga clubs and the ownership structure,one point was that they can't go splashing the cash like EPL clubs and there are restrictions in place.

Their 50+1 ownership structure means they can't have an oligarch takeover and splash the cash. There is no transfer cap though.

It's something like they can only spend X amount on a player, the X is derived from the income from the club and sponsors or something like that.

But it doesn't apply to Munich as they have massive sponsorship deals which other clubs don't have.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

They can't go splashing the cash because they don't have it. The TV deal is not as valuable as the PL deal and the 50+1 rule restricts the money available from outside investment to most BL clubs, but there is no cap.

Bayern are probably the only exception as they're such a behemoth and they're are going to splash big on a squad rebuild this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Paully D wrote: »

That'd be a big loss for West Ham. And you'd have absolutely no faith in the £35 million being spent well on a replacement.

Most of their summer business seems decent 5/6 months on but they have their fair share of expensive duds in the last few years, in particular when it comes to attackers.

Mid-season, it would be hard to find someone to replace Arnautovic who would make the same impact as he would if he was to stay (and stay fit!) for the second half of the season.

• Advertisement

Whats up with the Chinese clubs figuring out how to tighten the purse strings? 35m isnt as much as one has come to expect in recent years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Whats up with the Chinese clubs figuring out how to tighten the purse strings? 35m isnt as much as one has come to expect in recent years.

Their FA brought in new rules a year or 2 back where the buying club has to match the transfer fee agreed and pay it to FA for youth development or something similar. In this case that means they would really be paying 70m for Marko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,625 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Sky Sports seem to think it's all a ploy for either an improved contract or a manu/ Chelsea bidding war !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Knowing West Ham, they'll probably just give Nasri a payrise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Apparently Diego Lainez dubbed "the mexican messi"is on his way to Betis. 18 years of age and ajax were after him as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

https://twitter.com/m_christenson/status/1083136128520204290

Great move for both parties. Golden age for Welsh football atm.

The end of Arsenal's "British" core. Ramsay, wilshere, Chamberlain and Gibbs. Under another manager maybe they might have realised their full potential but one thing they have in common is horrible luck with injuries. What were they doing at arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

rob316 wrote: »
    The end of Arsenal's "British" core. Ramsay, wilshere, Chamberlain and Gibbs. Under another manager maybe they might have realised their full potential but one thing they have in common is horrible luck with injuries. What were they doing at arsenal.

Yeah, Chamberlain, Wilshere and Gibbs have been injury free the last year, it was all Arsenal's fault :/

Did you think that one through?

Liam O wrote: »
    Yeah, Chamberlain, Wilshere and Gibbs have been injury free the last year, it was all Arsenal's fault :/

Did you think that one through?

They're young players, body's are broken from so many injuries. It's why they still are injury prone.

See I did think that through you just didn't bother to think yourself and get smart with me.

It's no coincidence that 4 young up coming players are all made of glass after playing for arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

They're young players, body's are broken from so many injuries. It's why they still are injury prone.

See I did think that through you just didn't bother to think yourself and get smart with me.

It's no coincidence that 4 young up coming players are all made of glass after playing for arsenal.

It is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

You think Ramsay and Chamberlain's major injuries came from playing for Arsenal? Ramsay's freak leg break and Chamberlain's ACL(?) whatever amount of months after leaving were both caused by playing for Arsenal?

Maybe Chamberlain's injury was caused by playing for a manager who has a reputation for running his players into the ground?

Regardless, these are just injury prone players. See Sturridge, Clyne and the rest of Liverpool's British core (hasn't TAA missed a good few the last year?)

I seem to remember Van Dijk getting a major one in his last few months at Southampton which has cleared up since he got to Liverpool so maybe there is some better technology there now.

I know Shaw is now on a good run of fitness after struggling for a while but the likes of Evans and now Smalling and Jones don't seem to go too long without getting one so what are United and Liverpool doing?

Maybe every team has these players and it's not localised to just Arsenal?

Liam O wrote: »
    You think Ramsay and Chamberlain's major injuries came from playing for Arsenal? Ramsay's freak leg break and Chamberlain's ACL(?) whatever amount of months after leaving were both caused by playing for Arsenal?

Maybe Chamberlain's injury was caused by playing for a manager who has a reputation for running his players into the ground?

Regardless, these are just injury prone players. See Sturridge, Clyne and the rest of Liverpool's British core (hasn't TAA missed a good few the last year?)

I seem to remember Van Dijk getting a major one in his last few months at Southampton which has cleared up since he got to Liverpool so maybe there is some better technology there now.

I know Shaw is now on a good run of fitness after struggling for a while but the likes of Evans and now Smalling and Jones don't seem to go too long without getting one so what are United and Liverpool doing?

Maybe every team has these players and it's not localised to just Arsenal?

Come on arsenal had a long list of sick notes, more than most clubs. Diaby, RVP, ozil, rosicky, fabregas are non British off the top of my head all had limited appearances.
    They clearly was something wrong with wengers recovery/training methods.

Ox shredded his knee it was probably weak from years of niggling injuries.

Arsenal invested in a new training ground surface a few years before the end of the Wenger era on the back of analysis done on why their players kept getting injured.

IIRC, it was reported their old training ground surface was closer to tarmac than it was to a pitch.

They have since changed to some pitch designed to help reduce injuries, and other clubs have since followed suit. Think this happened in 2015/16, so probably too late for some of the players being mentioned here.

Source (i know i know its the sun, but i cant find the other source i saw who covered it): https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/1999086/arsenal-training-ground-how-does-revolutionary-injury-reducing-pitch-work-and-what-is-it-made-of/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Come on arsenal had a long list of sick notes, more than most clubs. Diaby, RVP, ozil, rosicky, fabregas are non British off the top of my head all had limited appearances.
    They clearly was something wrong with wengers recovery/training methods.

Ox shredded his knee it was probably weak from years of niggling injuries.

Diaby, Rosicky - I'll give you.

Fabregas?
    33 games in the PL in 04/05
    35 in 05/06
    38 in 06/07
    32 in 07/08
    22 in 08/09
    27 in 09/10
    25 in 10/11....

He ain't no sick note.

RVP had two bad seasons in England with Arsenal with respect of injuries -

26 PL games in 04/05
    24 in 05/06
    22 in 06/07
    15 in 07/08
    28 in 08/09
    16 in 09/10
    25 in 10/11
    38 in 11/12

And as for Ozil....

155 PL appearances in 6 (including this season which isn't finished yet) seasons.

You might wanna try to aim your ire at a different club or use better examples...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

To be fair, the 3 players mentioned had an awful lot of injuries while at Arsenal and you could say a build up of them injuries caused big ones down the line. Ox missed 43 games directly from a knee injury at Arsenal before doing his ACL & MCL at Liverpool. Wilshere missed 71 games directly from an ankle injury at Arsenal before a big injury again at West Ham etc.

Oxlade Chamberlain

cgU6C3c.png

Wilshere

d4y6NbQ.png

Gibbs

B4pPaJg.png

and then for the players whose injury problems seem to leave them once they left Arsenal.

Fabregas
    (he actually had more injuries at Arsenal not included in this graphic as I couldn't fit them all on one page!)

xEcW6AX.png

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Did I dispute the injury proneness of Ox, Wilshere or Gibbs? Mentioning Ozil, RVP and Fabregas in the same vein is simply fake news.

Southampton's three game wonder Gabbiadini to move to Sampdoria for £10.8m

Poor Gabbiadini. He was class in FM17 but it just didnt materialise IRL. Hopefully the move back to Italy serves him well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

correction wrote: »
    It is.

It isn't

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

https://twitter.com/m_christenson/status/1083136128520204290

Great move for both parties. Golden age for Welsh football atm.

LOL... Juve at it again. It's almost an annual sideshow.

Advertisement