Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meat eater

• 01-12-2018 3:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭

Not sure if mentioned here before but Just came across this show on Netflix about hunting in Alaska.
    Those moose are some animals .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭Cadpat_cowboy

harr wrote: »
    Not sure if mentioned here before but Just came across this show on Netflix about hunting in Alaska.
    Those moose are some animals .

I love that show, it's along way from the few rabbits I get😂 herself has hinted that she is getting me one of his cook books for Xmas. I really hope it's the small game one and not the big game one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Great show and he has a great ethos.

I think he's brilliant PR for the sport but Jasus he'd ate anything at all.

Great show and he has a great ethos.

I think he's brilliant PR for the sport but Jasus he'd ate anything at all.

I first came across him on Joe rogan podcast he talked about eating coyote, said it wasn't nice. Also he is on YouTube hunting a male mountain lion with he then cooks like pork, dude is mad

I first came across him on Joe rogan podcast he talked about eating coyote, said it wasn't nice. Also he is on YouTube hunting a male mountain lion with he then cooks like pork, dude is mad

I was interested when he was cooking and eating hearts, livers and tongue of deer, but I watched one last week and he was skinning and cooking a beaver.

There would be nothing safe in the fridge with him I'd say.

I was interested when he was cooking and eating hearts, livers and tongue of deer, but I watched one last week and he was skinning and cooking a beaver.

There would be nothing safe in the fridge with him I'd say.

Well if you are in a position to trap beaver for money why waste the meat? He also was in the amazon with some native tribe where he ate monkey which was interesting, Then again I would say he dose alot of it for the camera to come across as more of an outdoors man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭clivej

I've just finished his 'Meat Eater' book. The best read I had in many years.
    Might get the Big Game cookbook as well.
    Also has a great Podcast channel.
    He has a TV show on in the US every night from 11pm to midnight GMT.

Well if you are in a position to trap beaver for money why waste the meat? He also was in the amazon with some native tribe where he ate monkey which was interesting, Then again I would say he dose alot of it for the camera to come across as more of an outdoors man.

He wouldn't want to be counting on beavers for money or food, he spent a few days and nights trying all methods and only caught one if I recall.

They're not something I'd ever consider eating no matter how poor or hungry I was to be honest, and I've been both (okay for a few hours, a few times).

I saw the three part show with those lads in the Amazon too, really interesting stuff how they still hunt and fish to survive like man did all that time ago.

He was well steamed at the end and getting all emotional after the wine.

Great show in fairness, I love the fact I use the same make rifle and scope as him, nothing like having confidence in your choice of equipment endorsed by someone that good.

He works hard for his deer, his buddy with the tash, Ryan Callaghan is good to learn from too.

He wouldn't want to be counting on beavers for money or food, he spent a few days and nights trying all methods and only caught one if I recall.

They're not something I'd ever consider eating no matter how poor or hungry I was to be honest, and I've been both (okay for a few hours, a few times).

I saw the three part show with those lads in the Amazon too, really interesting stuff how they still hunt and fish to survive like man did all that time ago.

He was well steamed at the end and getting all emotional after the wine.

Great show in fairness, I love the fact I use the same make rifle and scope as him, nothing like having confidence in your choice of equipment endorsed by someone that good.

He works hard for his deer, his buddy with the tash, Ryan Callaghan is good to learn from too.
    I think he tried trapping for a living but had to give in and go to collage if I Rember correct. What rifle is it I always wondered? Tbh I think his bow hunting episodes are great pity it's outlawed here.

I think he tried trapping for a living but had to give in and go to collage if I Rember correct. What rifle is it I always wondered? Tbh I think his bow hunting episodes are great pity it's outlawed here.

Savage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

It's all bõllox. Like every nature, hunting,fishing show they accomplish nothing until the last few hours of the hunt. 5 days and no kill and suddenly on last hour of the hunt they make a kill. It's set up t fûck man.
    Only part I like is the meat prep before cooking it.

• Advertisement

It's all bõllox. Like every nature, hunting,fishing show they accomplish nothing until the last few hours of the hunt. 5 days and no kill and suddenly on last hour of the hunt they make a kill. It's set up t fûck man.
    Only part I like is the meat prep before cooking it.

I watched the one with the Latvian father and son in Alaska last night and its the complete opposite to what you just said with the old man shooting a thing the size of an elephant in the first few hours.

The two lads are even laughing mocking themselves afterwards for the way they had built his expectations up that it was going to be such hard work in bitter conditions.

Of course it's edited like every entertainment show is and rightly so.

It is fundamentally an entertainment show, with the added advantage for anyone interested in shooting that there is a chance you can learn something as well as enjoy the humour and see the different places and species where he hunts.

I find it very entertaining and educational plus the episodes are only about twenty minutes long so it suits my limited attention span.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭J.R.

I watched the one with the Latvian father and son in Alaska last night and its the complete opposite to what you just said with the old man shooting a thing the size of an elephant in the first few hours.

I like the program - entertaining, down to earth & interesting.

I was surprised with the size of the knives they use to skin an animal the size of a moose...also the large elk deer.....very short blade....but worked perfectly and did the job.

They really go into the wilderness...camping out for a week at a time getting up each morning to hunt all day. Lovely way to do it...we never get a taste of the wild here, like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I have also seen a few episodes where he would be stalking something for ages and end up not getting anything. He never seems frustrated when he comes back empty handed I think he just loves being out in the wilderness and he comes across as a lad who respects nature and the prey he is hunting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭Chiparus

J.R. wrote: »
    I like the program - entertaining, down to earth & interesting.

I was surprised with the size of the knives they use to skin an animal the size of a moose...also the large elk deer.....very short blade....but worked perfectly and did the job.

They really go into the wilderness...camping out for a week at a time getting up each morning to hunt all day. Lovely way to do it...we never get a taste of the wild here, like that.

Did a bit for Nationa Parks in Australia, sleeping under the stars, hunting all day ,- culling feral goats, sheep, cats rabbits, and foxes. We would go for a week at a time, 1000 km round trip.

We took out about 3-400 goats in the week.

Really was the experience of a lifetime ,

WIfe said I smelt a bit when I got back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

J.R. wrote: »
    .....I was surprised with the size of the knives they use to skin an animal the size of a moose...also the large elk deer.....very short blade....but worked perfectly and did the job....

Look at YouTube regulars: Born and Raised Outdoors, HUSH, Randy Newburg and see the size of the knives being used to skin and butcher everything from varmints to deer and elk and all the way up to buffalo and moose. When you dismiss the sponsorship aspect, the reality is you only ever use the first couple of inches of a blade and the small knives they pack are perfect for the job.
    Even when using standard Mora, I find myself choking up on the blade for splitting hide, opening the belly cavity and cutting the diaphragm and even skinning.
    I have a small collection of knives, folders and fixed, various lengths and styles but my go to knives that I consistently carry are Mora Companions (carbon/stainless steel) in orginal and custom sheaths. The orginal sheath I carry on long days in the hills, trying to drop off as much weight as I can (my internal ballast tanks are full).
    The exception to the above are a No7 and a No10 Opeinal still perfect on small and big game while being ultra light, and a custom homemade carbon steel knife based on the simple shape of a bush craft knife.
    My two cents is leave the long heavy stuff at home and go a field with a few ounces of short, robust and most importantly sharp, knives.

Look at YouTube regulars: Born and Raised Outdoors, HUSH, Randy Newburg and see the size of the knives being used to skin and butcher everything from varmints to deer and elk and all the way up to buffalo and moose. When you dismiss the sponsorship aspect, the reality is you only ever use the first couple of inches of a blade and the small knives they pack are perfect for the job.
    Even when using standard Mora, I find myself choking up on the blade for splitting hide, opening the belly cavity and cutting the diaphragm and even skinning.
    I have a small collection of knives, folders and fixed, various lengths and styles but my go to knives that I consistently carry are Mora Companions (carbon/stainless steel) in orginal and custom sheaths. The orginal sheath I carry on long days in the hills, trying to drop off as much weight as I can (my internal ballast tanks are full).
    The exception to the above are a No7 and a No10 Opeinal still perfect on small and big game while being ultra light, and a custom homemade carbon steel knife based on the simple shape of a bush craft knife.
    My two cents is leave the long heavy stuff at home and go a field with a few ounces of short, robust and most importantly sharp, knives.

When I used to do a bit of skinning for people many years ago I would probably only use maybe the first couple of inches to skin a hide. I would prefer Avery small flat blade to anything to big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭J.R.

I agree - a few inches of as razor-sharp knife is all that is needed.

I remember when I started hunting in the late 70's the "had to have" knife on the cartridge belt was a fixed blade bowie shaped knife...usually with a 9" or 19" blade.

As the years went by and I got older & more experienced the knives I brought hunting got more practical with a shorter, more practical blade, suitable for the job.

In the past decade, I have changed from carrying a fixed blade to lock knife. I now carry a lock knife with 3.5" - 4" blade. The Buck 110 Hunter has been a favourite of mine for years.

I still have the fixed blade larger knives....now only taken out occasionally to use for chopping, if hide making.

A little bone saw can come in very as well I used similar to this one https://www.bushwear.co.uk/outdoor-edge-outdoor-edge-griz-saw-gw-2-335016.html it’s better for small game or small carcass.
    But at this stage I am fairly ok at jointing with a knife with no need for a saw..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Even when using standard Mora, I find myself choking up on the blade for splitting hide, opening the belly cavity and cutting the diaphragm and even skinning. I have a small collection of knives, folders and fixed, various lengths and styles but my go to knives that I consistently carry are Mora Companions (carbon/stainless steel) in orginal and custom sheaths.

They had short versions of these at the shooting show in Birmingham last year, was kicking myself for forgetting to get a few before I left.

Kat1170 wrote: »
    They had short versions of these at the shooting show in Birmingham last year, was kicking myself for forgetting to get a few before I left.

Hobby airsoft in ballymount in Dublin stock móra knives of im correct had a **** ton of lengths aswel

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

There was a scottish stalker and gamekeeper, whose name escapes me at the minute. All he ever used to dress deer was a stanley knife, if it went blunt he would stick in a new blade that cost pence. He probably done more deer like that than we have all had hot dinners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Started it after seeing the recommendation here. Just finished episode three. Thoroughly enjoyed it so far. It's amazing to see the huge wild expanses in Alaska. Dropped in by plane, hunt for days without seeing civilization.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

Isn’t it amazing that even though we live in a country with an abundance of game, the the Irish public don’t consume more of our wild natural meats? The vast majority of venison is exported, restaurants don’t have it on the menu very often even in places like Wicklow and housewives don’t buy it, probably because of the poor value you get in the supermarkets. I’ve offered it to farmers who won’t eat it either and a lot of people won’t even try game when offered. Yet when they don’t know what it is and try it, they can’t get enough. I bet there’s even loads of hunters who don’t eat it, either only shooting for the kill or for the money.
    Should we be doing more to promote game to eat instead of shipping it out of the game dealers by the lorry load?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Isn’t it amazing that even though we live in a country with an abundance of game, the the Irish public don’t consume more of our wild natural meats? The vast majority of venison is exported, restaurants don’t have it on the menu very often even in places like Wicklow and housewives don’t buy it, probably because of the poor value you get in the supermarkets. I’ve offered it to farmers who won’t eat it either and a lot of people won’t even try game when offered. Yet when they don’t know what it is and try it, they can’t get enough. I bet there’s even loads of hunters who don’t eat it, either only shooting for the kill or for the money.
    Should we be doing more to promote game to eat instead of shipping it out of the game dealers by the lorry load?

Its a generational thing Wirehair, when i used to shoot near the grandmothers years ago (bunnys with a .22), there was a row of little cottages nearby. We knew all the people in them for donkeys years, all elderly, and a couple of them, if they heard i was about with the rifle, would call and see if i had bagged any. If i did, they were thrilled with them, i did not mind giving the rabbits to them.

The thing is though, those older people knew what real hunger was like in the past, during the 30's or the emergency, when a bunny or a couple of pigeons, or, joy of joys, a pheasant, was a real treat.

But places like france and germany, as well as the usa, really value game meat.

I don’t shoot anymore but still have two freezers full of game from friends who hunt and as mentioned sometimes they can’t give it away. I really don’t know why people are so squeamish about game and yet have no problem getting meat in little plastic packs in supermarkets.

When I do cook it ,be it venison rabbit or pheasant people love it and are always nearly shocked it tastes good ... I don’t know what they do be expecting. We always had a .22 or air rifle at home and I loved nothing more than bringing the jack Russell out looking for rabbit even as a young teenager.
    I think most people have lost that connection with the land and sourcing their own grub.
    Plus it’s strange so many look at hunting as cruel yet have no problem buying meat farmed and killed commercially.

A roast haunch of venison is sometimes served up at my club at lunchtime. It is always picked clean, nothing left.
    People often say they had never tested venison and how much they liked it.

gunny123 wrote: »

The thing is though, those older people knew what real hunger was like in the past, during the 30's or the emergency, when a bunny or a couple of pigeons, or, joy of joys, a pheasant, was a real treat.

I agree completely man, my grandfather would eat anything and everything. The small amount of chips left in the pan on a Friday evening or the bags of meat he would get off a local butcher as they were abit ripe, it all got eaten as to him a man born and raised in Dublins tenements it was a sin to waste food.

I try to eat all I cook but being a millennial hungry to me is just the space between meals, I have cooked pigeon (was delicious) and rabbits are a favourite of mine. The looks of disgust and shock I get off friends when I offer them meat always shocks me, you wouldn't limit yourself to 3 types of fruit and vegetables why do it with meat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

clivej wrote: »
    A roast haunch of venison is sometimes served up at my club at lunchtime. It is always picked clean, nothing left.
    People often say they had never tested venison and how much they liked it.

Tried Lidls Wild Venison offering last week and have to say it was very nice - had some M8's around for dinner that night and they agreed it was top notch, and they wouldn't be the adventurous sort when it comes to such things.

Arrived today, for a bit of reading over the holidays

20181218_121830_zpsiuzgjaoc.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Saw the dove shooting episode last night. Those poppers they were cooking are definitely on the menu soon for me (using wood pidgeon)

Advertisement