Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can 804 gravel be used to make concrete?

Options
  • 01-12-2018 4:45pm
    Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

as above.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

No, its too "dirty" to make any kind of quality mix.
    You can buy bulk bags of "concrete mix" , but if you need any quantity (more than 5 or m2) its cheaper and far handier to just get ready-mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    No, its too "dirty" to make any kind of quality mix.
    You can buy bulk bags of "concrete mix" , but if you need any quantity (more than 5 or m2) its cheaper and far handier to just get ready-mix.

What do you ask for in the quarry if collecting with trailer to mix at home - is it ‘concrete mix’ ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    What do you ask for in the quarry if collecting with trailer to mix at home - is it ‘concrete mix’ ?

It depends on the application

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

"Aggregate" or "gravel".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭enricoh

Called batch around here, could be a local thing i dunno. A lot of fellas will deliver a ton bag of it for u.
    I got a ton into the trailer before in the local quarry, dunno how i didnt burn the clutch outta my car trying to get out of the quarry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

How about lean mix, it’s all mixed up cement and all added, you just add water at home.
    Buy bulk or by trailer load from quarry.

• Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭eamon11

thanks lads,

thing is I have half a load of 804 there already and need to get rid of it.

It's for a foundation wall of 4 inch blocks. Wall will be approx 4 feet hign.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

eamon11 wrote: »
    thanks lads,

Cheers.

I was in same position with 804 left over so I added cement, some sand and it worked out fine for me. Didn't use in any area where I needed guaranteed performance but as a footing for an isolated wall. Added rebar to foundation - had this left over also. Had a reason to break out some of it later. It was as hard as I would expect normal concrete to be.

• Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭eamon11

Thanks Rampart,

appreciate your response.

Was it really necessary to add sand? 804 is already very sandy. If adding anything I would have thought bigger chips would be better. Anyway good to know I can still possibly use it.

Eamon

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If you're trying to do something useful with the 804, just use is as compacted sub-base under the wall footings.

You'll be left with a load of topsoil, but that's great stuff you can just spread around the garden., e.g. top dressing lawn, raised beds and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

thanks lads,

Cheers.

It might work out fine, but you won’t know for sure till it’s done and on a while. Allot will depend on the ground under the foundation. A strip foundation is still only as strong as the ground under it.

I don’t think I’d chance it.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

Thanks Rampart,

appreciate your response.

Was it really necessary to add sand? 804 is already very sandy. If adding anything I would have thought bigger chips would be better. Anyway good to know I can still possibly use it.

Eamon

Depends. If you leave 804 sitting in the rain for a while the larger stones are left on the surface. A couple of weeks of shoveling and moving the 804 and again you may be left with more stone than small aggregate. So you need to gauge it yourself.
    I'm not a builder or professional of any kind in this field so those more in the know could rightly suggest using a 'proper' mix. I can only give you my experience. I poured a decent thickness of base on compacted 804 and put a 4" block wall on top without any problems to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭geographica

could 804 be used to make concrete for an outdoor path? 3” deep on top of packed 804?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭monseiur

804 is not suitable use gravel or aggregate, most builders providers stock 1 ton bags for small jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Nah I’m ok with the depth, very firm underneath

What could be the effect of using it as aggregate?

Advertisement