Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to Eir Router F2000

Options
  • 01-12-2018 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Installed Eir Fibre 10 months ago and have no end of issues.

Basically, the Wifi on the Eir F2000 keeps dropping out, can last a few hours or a few minutes. Will come back itself after about five minutes

Went through all the troubleshooting with EIR, I think we changed the router three / four times and also had a KN site visit but they could find no problems. Signal kept dropping.

Ended up just putting back in my old Sky Router and the issue stopped straight away. The issue with that is that the SKY Router cannot do VOIP. So I have ended up with no home phone for the last ten months. Have the calls diverted to an APP on my phone.

I have after nine months put my F2000 router back into place and the wireless dropping issue has come straight back. Therefore it is clear the F2000 router is the issue.

I spoke with EIR support and they basically have advised all they can do is keep sending out routers. They did not say it but it would appear there is a known issue with their routers and they are not going to resolve them. I have another two months before I can cancel, line quality is excellent but the routers are dirt.

So I am looking for advise, anyone know an alternative router I can buy that will replace the F2000. Support FTTH and VOIP. I am sick of not having a home phone.

Kind of crazy that EIR just give up and say they merely rent me the line and the router issue is outside their control but that appears to be EIR leave of customer service.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Installed Eir Fibre 10 months ago and have no end of issues.

Basically, the Wifi on the Eir F2000 keeps dropping out, can last a few hours or a few minutes. Will come back itself after about five minutes

Went through all the troubleshooting with EIR, I think we changed the router three / four times and also had a KN site visit but they could find no problems. Signal kept dropping.

Ended up just putting back in my old Sky Router and the issue stopped straight away. The issue with that is that the SKY Router cannot do VOIP. So I have ended up with no home phone for the last ten months. Have the calls diverted to an APP on my phone.

I have after nine months put my F2000 router back into place and the wireless dropping issue has come straight back. Therefore it is clear the F2000 router is the issue.

I spoke with EIR support and they basically have advised all they can do is keep sending out routers. They did not say it but it would appear there is a known issue with their routers and they are not going to resolve them. I have another two months before I can cancel, line quality is excellent but the routers are dirt.

So I am looking for advise, anyone know an alternative router I can buy that will replace the F2000. Support FTTH and VOIP. I am sick of not having a home phone.

Kind of crazy that EIR just give up and say they merely rent me the line and the router issue is outside their control but that appears to be EIR leave of customer service.

There is no way of getting eir VoIP on a third party router as they will not release the connection details.

Is the WiFi dropping an issue with 5GHz only or does it happen with 2.4GHz also?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

There is no way of getting eir VoIP on a third party router as they will not release the connection details.

Is the WiFi dropping an issue with 5GHz only or does it happen with 2.4GHz also?

I bought a brand new non teleco branded Huawei router a few months ago in a charity shop €10 as a spare. Within 10 minutes it automatically had the VOIP settings sent to it.

There’s one non branded one in Nenagh BTW for €10 new in box. Friends of animal charity shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Seanmilford

Dropping on both, tried 5GHZ turned off and it made no difference. Kept dropping.

The SKy router never dropped for months, just no phone line is the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I bought a brand new non teleco branded Huawei router a few months ago in a charity shop €10 as a spare. Within 10 minutes it automatically had the VOIP settings sent to it.

What model number? Is it the Huawei HG659b which is the same model as the F2000.

OP you can buy a good wifi access point and plug it into an ethernet port on the f2000 if you want good wifi coverage.

There’s one non branded one in Nenagh BTW for €10 new in box. Friends of animal charity shop.

Really? Was it an F2000 (HG659)? I assume you got sent the details over TR-069. I had assumed that was more secure in that it would only accept connections from the eir provided device.

Were you then able to extract the VoIP credentials from the new router? Did VoIP work on the new device?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Dropping on both, tried 5GHZ turned off and it made no difference. Kept dropping.

The SKy router never dropped for months, just no phone line is the issue.

You could try disabling the dhcp server on the sky box. Connect a lan port from the sky box to a lan port on the F2000. You might be able to use WIFI from the skybox and VOIP on the F2000 this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Really? Was it an F2000 (HG659)? I assume you got sent the details over TR-069. I had assumed that was more secure in that it would only accept connections from the eir provided device.

Were you then able to extract the VoIP credentials from the new router? Did VoIP work on the new device?

I think it was the exact same model as the Vodafone one. I’m not sure if the phone service worked but the phone light most certainly did come on. Note it wouldn’t achieve anything over 600mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Was that on an eir FTTH connection or some other ISP?

I think it was the exact same model as the Vodafone one. I’m not sure if the phone service worked but the phone light most certainly did come on. Note it wouldn’t achieve anything over 600mb.

That's interesting. It might be a way to get the VoIP details. The older Huawei firmwares had config files that could be decrypted so you could buy an old Huawei, connect it then extract the VoIP details out then use them in a better router.

Unfortunately I don't have a phone package any more so I can't test it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Anyone with the time to go for it can get the details pushed to them from the NBBS server over TR069. Huawei are just keyed to it by default.

Retail kit tends to not have it as it would be weird for an ISP to use provisioning tools on private devices.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Anyone with the time to go for it can get the details pushed to them from the NBBS server over TR069. Huawei are just keyed to it by default.

Retail kit tends to not have it as it would be weird for an ISP to use provisioning tools on private devices.

So there is no password authentication or MAC provisioning? Any TR069 capable device connected will receive the details?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

All IIRC:

Its the other way around (technically the cryptologists probably hate that). You're handing the keys to the city to the management server so you want to be sure thats the ISP and not Derek next door taking over his whole exchange areas routers. Router authenticates the ISP, ISP server can then be configured to act depending on what it sees. So the source IP gives it a connection, that gives it a CSI and thus a customer and what details should go on that device. So Harry the FST can try three different modems from his van but they'll all get the customers SIP details etc.

Advertisement