Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forever Young Festival 2019 5th - 7th July, Palmerstown House, Kildare

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Mac B

Bruce2008 wrote: »
    Great start to Sunday, Big Country, Simple Minds and the Jam, brilliant, that'll cure the expected hangover!

I'm going Saturday. Starting lineup isn't bad. Not mad on China Crisis but the next 3 acts (the South, Kim Wilde and Hothouse Flowers) I'm really looking forward to seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Bruce2008

Mac B wrote: »
    I'm going Saturday. Starting lineup isn't bad. Not mad on China Crisis but the next 3 acts (the South, Kim Wilde and Hothouse Flowers) I'm really looking forward to seeing.

Hothouse flowers give a great performance, get there for cry before dawn, the band that should have made it big, enjoy the concert! Hopefully no Glastonbury flags or crowds shouting and chatting, we're there for the music!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Mac B

Bruce2008 wrote: »
    Hothouse flowers give a great performance, get there for cry before dawn, the band that should have made it big, enjoy the concert! Hopefully no Glastonbury flags or crowds shouting and chatting, we're there for the music!

Jeez, I read that wrong. For some reason I read the first act as China Crisis. Your right, Cry Before Dawn is worth been there for. I'm so looking forward to tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Chelon

Any reports from the first day at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whodafunk

My summary from today Saturday. Hothouse Flowers 12/10 for effort - great tunes. For me China Crisis, Midge Ure and Jimmy Somerville were unreal - fantastic - would love to see any of these in any other venue. Missed Human League as unfortunately had to head off home. All in all fantastic gig would love to see this return next tear.

• Advertisement

What was it like being at a festival where the music stopped at 1am? That sounds really odd to me, I'd still be up for more come that time!

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

Have to say yesterday was a brilliant day. All of the acts were great, but thought that Jimmy Sommerville was the stand out act, closely followed by Midge Ure. All on all everything was really well organised, a great atmosphere, the sound system and house band were excellent and a special shout out to the MC from Dr and the Medics who even had the crowd singing to Bohemian Rhapsody aided by two mops:). Sharon the organiser said they would be back next year, anyone that was there yesterday would go back I'd imagine.

And great weather for today’s session - enjoy whoever’s going.

What was transport like in and out?

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

Getting in was fine, was the best part of an hour getting out of the venue by car at the end of the night, but not unexpected really. Was a really good crowd, hard to put a figure on it, but a great buzz there yesterday. You'll enjoy today.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

Sunday was great.

For me, the highlights were Big Country (or what's left of them), and Level 42.

Toyah was excellent too - she's 61, looks great, and is full of energy.

Weather was excellent. Nice crowd.

We left after Level 42, didn't wait for Holly Johnson. Getting out was easy at that time, there were plenty of available taxis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

No voice left this morning, had a fantastic weekend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

Holly Johnson was incredible. Walked to the car and on the M7 30 min later. Getting out was so much easier than Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭corm500

Just back now from the full weekend. Fantastic festival. Standouts for me were Jimmy Somerville, Midge Ure, Hazel O’Connor, From the Jam, Big Country, Marc Almond and Holly Johnston. In fairness there was no bad acts tbh, although Bucks Fizz came close. Definitely go back next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

We had an amazing weekend, loved the OMD and Wham Tributes. Jimmy Somerville and Holly Johnson were incredible. Had a lot of laughs!

Gonna go next year so bought the loyalty discount. You get a 25% discount code off your tickets. The festival dates for next year are 10-12 July 2020. It’s valid for 4 people and the €15 is refundable when you buy tickets for next years festival!

They said the loyalty discount is only available til midnight tonight.

Anyone else interested, here’s the link

https://foreveryoungfestival.ie/add-ons/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

Fantastic weekend - as was said there wasn't really a bad act. Even the acts I wasn't so familiar with (Hazel O'Connor - bit early in the decade) were great, couldn't get over the energy some of the performers had considering ages.

Organization was excellent - only small complaint was I paid a for the VIP section and it didn't have the promised table service. But it was great to be able to get seats close to the stage so my old bones got a rest between acts (I was standing etc during the acts I hasten to add)!

I thought the finishing times were fine - I was pretty knackered out by midnight! I'd actually have been happy if music didn't start till 4-5PM. Because it started at 2PM I didn't have a lot of time to take a look around and chill. There was only really one band I wasn't interested in (take a guess) and I missed OMD tribute both days as they clashed with big acts.

Overall though, superb festival and will be going again. I already have my loyalty code for next year. Suspect tickets might be a bit harder to get once word gets out.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Bruce2008

What a weekend! So well organised, clean, plenty of space in campsites ( Electric Picnic take note! ).
    Standouts Cry Before Dawn, Hothouse Flowers singing Purple Rain! Midge Ure's tribute to Phil Lynott, Jimmy Sommerville, Marc Almond and Holly Johnson, just to mention a few. One for the diary for next year!
    And the Silent Disco was mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Great weekend...Brilliant music and very friendly crowd in a beautiful venue.
    Really enjoyed it so much so camped although could do with an air mattress next time.
    Wandered over to the tribute acts and have to say would have loved to see more of them but with the stage times clashing was over at the main acts mostly.
    Wandered into the silent disco for a while Sunday night that was funny!!
    Now to recover..roll on next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I noticed its Archetype who are running this event, the lads behind the original Life festival concept before MCD took that over, so a mad change in the music covered, still I wish them success in their new venture which seems to be a very successful first year doing the 80's style Rewind sorta event.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭rondog

Fantastic weekend.Everything went without a hitch.

After being at EP the last few years and queueing for toilets,beer etc it was a welcome relief that everything moved so quick.

Roll on next year,cant wit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

On next year would they mix up the line up?

Who would you most like to see if you could...
    Wonder could they ever get the Eurythmics on board...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Pflano

It was brilliant!! So well organised. Would love to see Eurythmics, Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, Tears for Fears and Petshop Boys next year! As well as bringing back Jimmy Sommerville, Human League, Marc Almond, Kim Wilde, Holly Johnson etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭robo

Reading all the reviews on here I would be definitely be interested in this next year - only living up the road in Saggart so might taxi to it. Was it easy enough to get cabs?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Pflano wrote: »
    It was brilliant!! So well organised. Would love to see Eurythmics, Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, Tears for Fears and Petshop Boys next year! As well as bringing back Jimmy Sommerville, Human League, Marc Almond, Kim Wilde, Holly Johnson etc.

I dont think they would be able to afford the likes of Duran Duran/Depeche Mode/Tears for Fears etc as of yet after their first year. They need to build it up slowly imo

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Pflano

I dont think they would be able to afford the likes of Duran Duran/Depeche Mode/Tears for Fears etc as of yet after their first year. They need to build it up slowly imo

I can dream!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Pflano wrote:
    Would love to see Eurythmics, Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, Tears for Fears and Petshop Boys next year!

Most of those acts, alongside the likes of A-Ha, are still selling arenas etc on their own and generally don't play the 80's nostalgia festival circuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Yeah, people might be getting a bit ahead of themselves there. Still, delighted to see how well it went. Plenty of acts still out there that manage the balancing act between nostalgia and still being able to bang out some good tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

how about:

Adam and the Ants
    Cutting Crew
    Roxette
    The Clash
    Talk Talk
    Japan
    A Flock of Seagulls
    Echo and the Bunnymen
    ABC
    Bananarama

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Slasher wrote: »
    how about:

Adam and the Ants
    Cutting Crew
    Roxette
    The Clash
    Talk Talk
    Japan
    A Flock of Seagulls
    Echo and the Bunnymen
    ABC
    Bananarama

Japan, Talk Talk and The Clash? You are joking, right?

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 JohnGonne1

Hard to see Talk, Talk considering Mark Hollis died in February:confused:

Looking at the Rewind listing over the years - I would agree about ABC, Hue and Cry, Tears for Fears would be brrrrrillliant, but unlikely - what about Boy George, Erasure??, nik kershaw, go west, howard jones abd maybe some Ska the next time (The Specials, Selecter), tony hadley, OMD - list is endless.

Anyway - great festival, really easy to get in/out. move around - brought my 11yo daughter on Sunday and she enjoyed it..

Highlights for me were Midge Ure , Jimmy Sommerville (who stole the show on Sat); really delighted to see The Human League; - all of Sunday afternoon esp From the Jam (great to see Bruce Foxton); watching groups of middle-aged spin around in a 'Wonder-Woman' move to the beginning of "Holding out for a Hero":P - and the brilliant Level 42 - top-class musicians and band.. lmao at a few middle-aged men doing Alan Partridge/Mark King 'air-bass'::P:P

Didn't stay for Holly Johnson - bought my loyalty ticket - roll on next year!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Japan, Talk Talk and The Clash? You are joking, right?

Personally hoping for The Beatles

Advertisement