Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forever Young Festival 2019 5th - 7th July, Palmerstown House, Kildare

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

JohnGonne1 wrote: »
    Hard to see Talk, Talk considering Mark Hollis died in February:confused:

Looking at the Rewind listing over the years - I would agree about ABC, Hue and Cry, Tears for Fears would be brrrrrillliant, but unlikely - what about Boy George, Erasure??, nik kershaw, go west, howard jones abd maybe some Ska the next time (The Specials, Selecter), tony hadley, OMD - list is endless.

Anyway - great festival, really easy to get in/out. move around - brought my 11yo daughter on Sunday and she enjoyed it..

Highlights for me were Midge Ure , Jimmy Sommerville (who stole the show on Sat); really delighted to see The Human League; - all of Sunday afternoon esp From the Jam (great to see Bruce Foxton); watching groups of middle-aged spin around in a 'Wonder-Woman' move to the beginning of "Holding out for a Hero":P - and the brilliant Level 42 - top-class musicians and band.. lmao at a few middle-aged men doing Alan Partridge/Mark King 'air-bass'::P:P

Didn't stay for Holly Johnson - bought my loyalty ticket - roll on next year!!
    All sensible considerations. Nik Kershaw and Howard Jones would be brilliant additions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

robo wrote: »
    Reading all the reviews on here I would be definitely be interested in this next year - only living up the road in Saggart so might taxi to it. Was it easy enough to get cabs?

We left late on Saturday night got one on the taxi app handy enough..

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

I noticed its Archetype who are running this event, the lads behind the original Life festival concept before MCD took that over, so a mad change in the music covered, still I wish them success in their new venture which seems to be a very successful first year doing the 80's style Rewind sorta event.

interesting, was wondering who was behind it. Might push for a psytrance stage next year, it would be a fantastic addition :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Would love to see Visage, especially the track Fade to Grey.

Edit: Well scratch that Steve Strange died of a heart attack in 2015, end of Visage. :(
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visage_(band)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭rondog

JohnGonne1 wrote: »
    Hard to see Talk, Talk considering Mark Hollis died in February:confused:

Looking at the Rewind listing over the years - I would agree about ABC, Hue and Cry, Tears for Fears would be brrrrrillliant, but unlikely - what about Boy George, Erasure??, nik kershaw, go west, howard jones abd maybe some Ska the next time (The Specials, Selecter), tony hadley, OMD - list is endless.

Anyway - great festival, really easy to get in/out. move around - brought my 11yo daughter on Sunday and she enjoyed it..

Highlights for me were Midge Ure , Jimmy Sommerville (who stole the show on Sat); really delighted to see The Human League; - all of Sunday afternoon esp From the Jam (great to see Bruce Foxton); watching groups of middle-aged spin around in a 'Wonder-Woman' move to the beginning of "Holding out for a Hero":P - and the brilliant Level 42 - top-class musicians and band.. lmao at a few middle-aged men doing Alan Partridge/Mark King 'air-bass'::P:P

Didn't stay for Holly Johnson - bought my loyalty ticket - roll on next year!!

How does one go about getting a loyalty ticket for next year?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Great to hear it went so well.

I was at a similar festival in Exeter the week before - one of the Let's Rock 80s series - Thomas Dolby was in that line up and I really wanted to see him. The Kildare line up was better overall though and I'm really sorry I missed it.

Human League were incredible in Exeter, hope they were as good in Kildare, actually all the acts showed how great music and the hardware used that decade was.

There seems to be a cross over between acts performing in their own right and being at these festivals - Level 42 had a sell out tour of the UK last year.

I must admit to getting a bit miffed at the tacky advertising for these festivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Jimmy Sommerville took to that stage dancing like an absolute ledge like he's some sort of a pioneer/God.

They should have called it Forever Sommerville Festival

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

Pflano wrote: »
    It was brilliant!! So well organised. Would love to see Eurythmics, Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, Tears for Fears and Petshop Boys next year! As well as bringing back Jimmy Sommerville, Human League, Marc Almond, Kim Wilde, Holly Johnson etc.

Depeche modes last tour alone included the San Siro, Stade de France the London stadium and various other mega bowls . Also broke the record for the Hollywood bowl dates
    Might be a tad of backward step playing a nostalgic festival!! As nice as it would be !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Oberkon wrote: »
    Depeche Mode's last tour alone included the San Siro, Stade de France, the London stadium and various other mega bowls...

... plus headlining the Isle of Wight. :)

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone know the story behind the organiser of this festival- I heard something along the lines that she is a vet in England and is intending for the profits to go towards setting up an animal sanctuary here in Ireland. Seems pretty amazing if true, not only organising a concert on that scale which is an impressive feat in its own right but also doing it all for a labour of love.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭corm500

Would love to see Visage, especially the track Fade to Grey.

Edit: Well scratch that Steve Strange died of a heart attack in 2015, end of Visage. :(
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visage_(band)

Midge Ure played it at the festival. Didn't know it was his song. Did a great version of it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭WM18

Lads, we camped 3 nights and have to say as a first time festival i couldnt fault it. Excellent from start to finish, venue was perfect,sound from stage was spot on,all the acts were top class, jimmy somerville/LEVEL 42 highlights for me but many more were brill also.

Tribute stage was great for some light relief,lost my voice at the silent disco.

A few tweaks,better food selection and bigger screens at side of stage (im being picky here) back next year for sure

Highly recommend...................

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

Also being picky, but €6.50 for a pint is far from 80's prices!

Good initiative with the cup deposits, the grounds were immaculate! It was barefoot weather on Sunday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

Who were the house band and how did they sound exactly like the original band for so many different artists. The rehearsals must have been substantial.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭corm500

sparksfly wrote: »
    Who were the house band and how did they sound exactly like the original band for so many different artists. The rehearsals must have been substantial.

Yes they were brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

Some high quality videos of Marc Almond, Midge Ure and Holly Johnson have appeared on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Anyone know the story behind the organiser of this festival- I heard something along the lines that she is a vet in England and is intending for the profits to go towards setting up an animal sanctuary here in Ireland. Seems pretty amazing if true, not only organising a concert on that scale which is an impressive feat in its own right but also doing it all for a labour of love.

Story here: https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/forever-young-festival-miss-bros-here-s-where-to-go-for-1980s-nostalgia-1.3886746

We went with the kids (8 and 11) and everyone had a great time

Only problem was the containerised toilets in the VIP camping field were all backed up by Saturday lunchtime, they brought in about a dozen portaloos that afternoon and fixed up the other ones and no problems after that

Weather was perfect apart from it being drizzly on Saturday morning/afternoon but it cleared up nicely by the evening.

Had a shower (wash, not weather) Sunday morning which was bliss :)

Band highlights - The Christians on Friday were great. Silent disco was gas but left me totally knackered the next morning!
    Saturday - The South, Hazel O'Connor and Midge Ure were great, Jimmy Sommerville was excellent and almost stole the show, the Human League blew me away, I'm a fan but never saw them before.
    Sunday - Marc Almond was excellent, Heaven 17 absolutely top notch. Bonnie Tyler blew everyone away. Holly Johnson was great too.

Expensive enough weekend - we were going to reluctantly give it a miss but we won two camping tickets on the radio - so we got 2 kids' tickets €50 each, bell tent in Tangerine Fields was €400 but it was worth it.

Food and drink were a bit pricy as you'd expect, but the quality of the food was good and lots of choice. €6.50 for a pint (a proper pint, not one of those thin plastic cups that never gets filled to the top) of lager wasn't bad at all.

Never had to spend more than a couple of minutes queueing at the bar, and the food queues were mostly short enough too.

Given all the eco-friendly talk we were surprised there weren't dedicated recycling bins, for cans especially.

Would we go again - not sure - would be nearly another €400 extra without the free adult tickets, and we'd be unlikely to be as lucky with the weather again - but it was a great experience though especially for the kids.

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

sparksfly wrote: »
    Some high quality videos of Marc Almond, Midge Ure and Holly Johnson have appeared on YouTube.

-Ignore- They've come up now on the search function. Thanks.

Any links? I've been waiting for some videos but didn't find any.

I loved looking at everybody's outfits������it was an amazing atmosphere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

Yeah it was brilliant to see so many people dress up, it all added to a great buzz. One of my favourites was the two guys dressed up as George Michael lookalikes in police outfits. Heard a choir at one stage over near the Fitzpatrick car area who were excellent. For a first time festival the organisation and sound were excellent, roll on next year.

Presale up for sale today...
    As I didn't purchase the discount code no real urge to buy this early as no savings options? (Might sell out but what can you do)
    Obviously they have changed the selling options from this year and its not on a tiered basis from what I can see?

Great cause but give us some sort of discount....

Presale up for sale today...
    As I didn't purchase the discount code no real urge to buy this early as no savings options? (Might sell out but what can you do)
    Obviously they have changed the selling options from this year and its not on a tiered basis from what I can see?

The link you got for presale is clearly marked as early bird prices. Like last year, once the early bird pricing is gone they will, I presume, switch to Tier 2 pricing.

From memory, last year, Early bird weekend with VIP camping was €195, Tier 2 was €234, so substantial saving if you're paying for 2 people like myself.

And there was a discount!!! You just decided not to use it!!!!

I've just booked using the loyalty code and I got 2x VIP camping weekend plus the VIP enclosure for 2 for the weekend for €592. Big difference from last years €800+!

Can't wait already :)

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭rondog

Anyone have a discount code i could use?

Deagol wrote: »
    The link you got for presale is clearly marked as early bird prices. Like last year, once the early bird pricing is gone they will, I presume, switch to Tier 2 pricing.

From memory, last year, Early bird weekend with VIP camping was €195, Tier 2 was €234, so substantial saving if you're paying for 2 people like myself.

And there was a discount!!! You just decided not to use it!!!!

I've just booked using the loyalty code and I got 2x VIP camping weekend plus the VIP enclosure for 2 for the weekend for €592. Big difference from last years €800+!

Can't wait already :)

Alright keep your knickers on with the over usage of the exclamation marks!!!!!!!

I didnt decide not to use anything because i was only looking at it and haven't actually purchased anything as of yet.
    I woke up to 4 different emails from them...
    The access code and the loyalty code are two different things for you information.
    They access code only gives you access to buy tickets...
    The loa;lty code you paid €15 for a 25% discount up to 12 midnight the day after the gig finished..
    they have changed the pricing structure and they arent doing a heavily discounted tiered system and they have added booking fees...
    If you look at the other thread on here started for next year you can see i had a look at facebook and posted what they had on it as they have more information.

Not on FB but obviously more information....

"just to clarify.
    YOU MUST PUT YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS into the promo code box on the ticket selection page to get the 25% discount IF AND ONLY IF you bought the loyalty code.
    I'm sorry the early birds are not crazy cheap like last year, and I'm not able to absorb all the fees this year so I'm afraid there are booking fees too.
    If we could do it for free we would, but it's over 2million to put on. so this year's price is around €9 an act, after €5 to €8 an act in 2019.
    I still hope you agree it's great value. I go to festivals costing more where I know one or 2 acts. our line up is huge and strong. but not cheap. our venue is perfect but not the price of a muddy field. And we put in every possible facility to make the best weekend possible.
    We hope you will enjoy 2020 as much if not more than 2019.
    Goodnight all, will be back answering queries in the morning"

As I didn't purchase the discount code

Does that explain it better?

Deagol wrote: »
    Does that explain it better?

:D...you need not explain anything to me as you pick through my response...no exclamation marks either well done!

No one goes to a festival and by midnight of the leaving the field that year buys a discount code for the following year(thats your personal choice of which I've no problem well done)

No line up confirmed or prices(not including the fact of availability, being alive, etc etc)
    The idea the organisers are trying to sell it in advance is they obviously offer the customer a genuine price reduction and rock on with planning the event.
    The organisers have changed the price point compared to this year and increased charges plus added booking fees.
    So NO real saving on buying a ticket 11 months in advance..hence my asking the question if there is no real savings why try get you to buy in advance.(and thats what they want to do)
    (You could buy 6 tickets for the price of 5 the week before the festival just gone)
    Its simple economics really and is actually the question i was asking...

Purchase price 2019..(last minute)...€170 per ticket
    Tier 1 price from recollection was €120 each..
    6 for 5 offer price €141 odd

Purchase price 2020 (today early bird) €178.68
    Purchase price with paid loyalty code less 25% €133 odd
    Purchase price tomorrow....no doubt we will find out

Best of luck to them I hope they raise loads of money I think I can wait and afford to park the bus on deciding...I’ll pay extra if needs be and wont bat an eyelid...
    Have a great weekend

rondog wrote: »
    Anyone have a discount code i could use?

Ive the early bird access code Rondog

thankyou2019

Advertisement