Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Conversion - Rough Cost

Options
  • 01-12-2018 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

Waiting for our house to be built and considering getting the attic converted before we move in to save the hassle down the line.

What would you estimate the price of converting an attic in a 3 bed semi with free run at it with nobody living there?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Moved to a better suited forum

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Waiting for our house to be built and considering getting the attic converted before we move in to save the hassle down the line.

What would you estimate the price of converting an attic in a 3 bed semi with free run at it with nobody living there?

Lots of unknowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

kceire wrote:
    Lots of unknowns. 20k

I would have thought 20k would be on the high side. I was thinking in the region of 12k would see it done.

I understand there are different levels of finishes which will have an effect on overall cost but allowing the builder get straight in with nobody living there should have some savings associated with it I would have thought.

Be interested to hear if anyone else done something similar and what they paid

I would have thought 20k would be on the high side. I was thinking in the region of 12k would see it done.

I understand there are different levels of finishes which will have an effect on overall cost but allowing the builder get straight in with nobody living there should have some savings associated with it I would have thought.

Go get 3 quotes.

Have you considered the planning implications and sign off?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Got a few prices recently for my place and it really depends on what you want done..they all were between 16,000 and 19,000 depending on finish.
    That was without getting planing permission to change from Storage to Liveable space. So it will always be officially still a 3 bed semi even though you will have a double bed room in attic.
    The biggest problem for us was was going to be the plumbing...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

What’s the roof construction? Is it a pre-engineered truss?
    It’ll take time to go around all the joists with air-tightness membrane?
    Assuming it’s in an estate who will do the construction details, and sign off on building regs?
    Does this account for retro-fitting all stairwell doors, escape window & AOV

Unless the structure/ plans are designed for this, assuming it’s a housing estate under construction, I bet this developer won’t even discuss an attic conversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

5k.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

The builder is looking for 25k to do it during construction which I thought was very expensive, even the estate agents said it was expensive that's why I said I will look elsewhere, however it will be a bigger job having to retrofit the attic rather than doing it from the start.

I'll reach out to a few builders for quotes. I have a few photos of the show house attic but no idea how the attic will be built by the current builder when they are not converting the attic so it may be hard to price without seeing the finished attic in the flesh

5k.

Not a chance.
    When you wake up you’ll realise that.
    The builder is looking for 25k to do it during construction which I thought was very expensive, even the estate agents said it was expensive that's why I said I will look elsewhere, however it will be a bigger job having to retrofit the attic rather than doing it from the start.

I'll reach out to a few builders for quotes. I have a few photos of the show house attic but no idea how the attic will be built by the current builder when they are not converting the attic so it may be hard to price without seeing the finished attic in the flesh

The problem is the current builder has to alter the air tightness envelope, insulation envelope from the already designed spec. Possible new service penetrations and also change all the doors in the house to fire doors, increase and extend the fire alarm system etc etc

kceire wrote: »
    Not a chance.
    When you wake up you’ll realise that.

The problem is the current builder has to alter the air tightness envelope, insulation envelope from the already designed spec. Possible new service penetrations and also change all the doors in the house to fire doors, increase and extend the fire alarm system etc etc

Don't see the big deal myself but you obviously know everything.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

Rows, anybody who does that work for 5k won’t be in business long

Gileadi wrote: »
    Rows, anybody who does that work for 5k won’t be in business long

Bearing in mind the contractor is going to be building the whole house from scratch as well as other houses in the estate, I don't see what the big deal is in converting an attic when he is going to have all the relevant tradesmen on board anyway.

I don't think a plumber needs to be involved besides putting in an extra 7 foot rad and the basic carpentry work is going to be in place so apart from the sparks running his cables and doing his second fix, the extra slabbing, plastering, flooring and a couple of velux windows I can't see where all the money being quoted is needed.

kceire wrote:

Are you saying if an attic is converted, every door in the house needs to be changed to a fire door with automatic closers?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭selfbuild17

Bearing in mind the contractor is going to be building the whole house from scratch as well as other houses in the estate, I don't see what the big deal is in converting an attic when he is going to have all the relevant tradesmen on board anyway.

I don't think a plumber needs to be involved besides putting in an extra 7 foot rad and the basic carpentry work is going to be in place so apart from the sparks running his cables and doing his second fix, the extra slabbing, plastering, flooring and a couple of velux windows I can't see where all the money being quoted is needed.

5k wouldn’t even buy the materials for what you are talking about

For one the house probably hasn’t got planing for an attic Conversion and wouldn’t be signed off on if not built to spec on plans.
    Depending on the roof layout on plans you could be looking at a good bit of extra carpentry work as well as extra plumbing depending on where water tank was to be put.
    If drawing down a mortgage on house it going to have to be included on deeds.

Are you saying if an attic is converted, every door in the house needs to be changed to a fire door with automatic closers?

Et cetera, et cetera......... possibly.

And don't forget new "service penetrations" .......possibly.

harr wrote: »
    For one the house probably hasn’t got planing for an attic Conversion and wouldn’t be signed off on if not built to spec on plans.
    Depending on the roof layout on plans you could be looking at a good bit of extra carpentry work as well as extra plumbing depending on where water tank was to be put.
    If drawing down a mortgage on house it going to have to be included on deeds.

Really?

It's an attic conversion that is being asked about, not an extension to the house that is going to be built.

Box off the the water tank, what is the big deal?

OK so I'm just after doing a bit of reading up on the building regulations based on comments received here.

Looks like there is a fair bit of work required to convert an attic into a "habital space" and turning a two story building into a three storey building. This is where all doors need to be changed to fire doors with automatic closers and bedroom ceilings need to be fire rated and many more changes also. There is also planning permission required for this which also costs a few grand.

Option 2 is to convert the attic into a "non-habital space" which does not require planning permission or upgrades to the existing house such as those mentioned above.
    I am assuming 99% of houses in Ireland are in this category?

Obviously option 2 does not turn your house from a 3 bed to 4 bed house but it seems like a better (easier) option unless I am missing something else?

5k wouldn’t even buy the materials for what you are talking about

Oh yes it would, and there'd be lots of change.

OK so I'm just after doing a bit of reading up on the building regulations based on comments received here.

Looks like there is a fair bit of work required to convert an attic into a "habital space" and turning a two story building into a three storey building. This is where all doors need to be changed to fire doors with automatic closers and bedroom ceilings need to be fire rated and many more changes also. There is also planning permission required for this which also costs a few grand.

Option 2 is to convert the attic into a "non-habital space" which does not require planning permission or upgrades to the existing house such as those mentioned above.
    I am assuming 99% of houses in Ireland are in this category?

Obviously option 2 does not turn your house from a 3 bed to 4 bed house but it seems like a better (easier) option unless I am missing something else?
    Yes most houses would have it converted to a non habitable space which doesn’t require planning as basically it will be just a play room or storage. But most use it as an extra bedroom and that’s why a lot of people wait till after the house is built and signed over and yes you would still technically have a 3 bedroom house.
    By waiting till house is finished and signed over you are cutting out on a lot of hassle and paperwork. This is why in this instance the builder is looking for 25,000 to do it..
    25 grand seems a lot but it isn’t really as you will be getting a proper 4 bed house which you could sell as a 4 bed house.
    A lot new houses around me are now coming with the planning in place for attic conversion but have to follow the exact layout on the plans and you have the option of getting attic doneduring build phase before you move in ...but that option is 20 grand on top on original purchase price.

• Advertisement

Don't see the big deal myself but you obviously know everything.

I don’t know everything, but I know enough not to throw a figure from nowhere at the OP and give him/her nonsense advice.

5k wouldn’t even buy the materials for the project.
    Will the Assigned Certifier sign off on the altered design?

Again, 5k for all this plus more, not a chance.

If he adds the attic at the time of construction then yes, he is building a 3 storey house and the fire safety regulations for 3 storey dwellings now come into play.

If he adds the attic later, he can get away with only fitting self closing devices to all the other doors opening into the escape stair case.

kceire wrote: »
    I don’t know everything, but I know enough not to throw a figure from nowhere at the OP and give him/her nonsense advice.

5k wouldn’t even buy the materials for the project.
    Will the Assigned Certifier sign off on the altered design?

Again, 5k for all this plus more, not a chance.

If he adds the attic at the time of construction then yes, he is building a 3 storey house and the fire safety regulations for 3 storey dwellings now come into play.

If he adds the attic later, he can get away with only fitting self closing devices to all the other doors opening into the escape stair case.

Okay I get what you are saying, 5k wouldn't even cover the cost of materials.

You win.

I think I'll go the "non habitable" route as it seems a lot less complicated and cheaper even if I don't get the official extra bedroom at the end of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

12k not a chance if you want it done right 17___19k

Carpenter wrote:
    12k not a chance if you want it done right 17___19k

For the non-habitable option?

For the non-habitable option?

The prices I was getting was 16-19 for the normal non-habitable option... if house is getting built now you could have a word with builder to see if he could make anything easier for future attic work...not sure what he might be able to do...maybe water tank placement or electrics.

I think I'll go the "non habitable" route as it seems a lot less complicated and cheaper even if I don't get the official extra bedroom at the end of it

Ask the builder to price the non habitable option.
    I think the prices will be the same as most of the regulations are still required.

kceire wrote:
    Ask the builder to price the non habitable option. I think the prices will be the same as most of the regulations are still required.

Should I request this through the estate agent or directly to builder?

I don't have any direct line to the builder at present as I have been dealing with the estate agent so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 2019

5k.

:pac:

You are in the wrong year. Maybe the late 90s but there is no chance youll get an attic conversion for 5k in 2018/19.

• Advertisement
Advertisement