Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tv Licence

• 01-12-2018 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what happens if you contact TV license inspector and inform them you don’t have a TV? Do they need to then enter your house to verify ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

You will have to sign a legal declaration that you don't have a TV or other equipment (I rang to check if it was okay to leave the sat dish up).

I did get a couple of warning letters in the years since (saying they observed TV equipment) I explained the situation and told them they could contact me to arrange a time to check the house if needed but heard nothing since.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭CoconutSky
    Taken

Hello,

I’ve had a TV Licence the past two years. I plan to cancel my Virgin Media subscription and have no ariel / satellite disc or saorview box. Once my Virgin Media subscription is cancelled - am I right in assuming I won’t have to pay the TV licence once my current one expires?

I will still have a TV on the premises which I’d only use to chrome cast YouTube but no live TV. I want to send the an post declaration that is on their website in advance before they send me a letter stating I need to renew my licence.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭elperello

CoconutSky wrote: »
    Hello,

I’ve had a TV Licence the past two years. I plan to cancel my Virgin Media subscription and have no ariel / satellite disc or saorview box. Once my Virgin Media subscription is cancelled - am I right in assuming I won’t have to pay the TV licence once my current one expires?

I will still have a TV on the premises which I’d only use to chrome cast YouTube but no live TV. I want to send the an post declaration that is on their website in advance before they send me a letter stating I need to renew my licence.

Thanks in advance

If you have a TV in the house you need a licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

CoconutSky wrote: »
    Hello,

Thanks in advance

A licence as they call it, is still needed as you have a tv set according to their description of a tv set.

They want every premises to be liable in reality, so they make the description of a tv set as wide ranging as possible, including for example, tv sets with tuners which are completely useless here.

A monitor with no tuner would not require one, once no other equipment is there to allow it to be used as a tv.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

We don’t drag up old threads. Additionally ALL TV Licensing queries must use the sticky or they are liable to be closed without further warning

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement