Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training visa, VS student visa

Options
  • 01-12-2018 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭

Hi guys looking at doing a trade here in plumbing, ive been offsiding on civil plumbing jobs over here (gas and sewer). I think the student visa will cost $24,000 over 2 years, while im.not sure about the cost of a training visa yet. Also im moving back to Sydney for the new year does anybody know any plumbing companies that would be looking for trade assistants or plumbers labourers?

Better living everyone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Hi guys looking at doing a trade here in plumbing, ive been offsiding on civil plumbing jobs over here (gas and sewer). I think the student visa will cost $24,000 over 2 years, while im.not sure about the cost of a training visa yet. Also im moving back to Sydney for the new year does anybody know any plumbing companies that would be looking for trade assistants or plumbers labourers?

It's not possible to do an apprenticeship on anything less than permanent residency. A training visa or student visa will not allow you to do an apprenticeship. An apprenticeship is for 4 years so a 2 year student would be no good anyway.

https://pathwaytoaus.com/blog/can-foreigners-do-a-trade-apprenticeship-in-australia/

http://www.dgt.org.au/jobseekers/faqs.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

aido79 wrote: »
    It's not possible to do an apprenticeship on anything less than permanent residency. A training visa or student visa will not allow you to do an apprenticeship. An apprenticeship is for 4 years so a 2 year student would be no good anyway.

https://pathwaytoaus.com/blog/can-foreigners-do-a-trade-apprenticeship-in-australia/

http://www.dgt.org.au/jobseekers/faqs.html

Does it not state that international studenta can complete it in two years as it is not possible to get a 4 year visa which allows you to complete it over 4 years?
    What i gathered was that you could get youre Cert III in either one or two years from the sites i researched.

Better living everyone

Does it not state that international studenta can complete it in two years as it is not possible to get a 4 year visa which allows you to complete it over 4 years?
    What i gathered was that you could get youre Cert III in either one or two years from the sites i researched.

You might be able to do the theory part of it but without the practical experience it would most likely be useles as there is next to no chance of getting employed with practical experience. Plus you would need to get another visa with full working rights to gain employment.
    Have a look at job adverts for apprentices. They will all state that the applicant must have full working rights.

Why would anyone do a 4 year apprenticeship if it's possible to do a Cert 3 in a year or 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

aido79 wrote: »
    You might be able to do the theory part of it but without the practical experience it would most likely be useles as there is next to no chance of getting employed with practical experience. Plus you would need to get another visa with full working rights to gain employment.
    Have a look at job adverts for apprentices. They will all state that the applicant must have full working rights.

Why would anyone do a 4 year apprenticeship if it's possible to do a Cert 3 in a year or 2?

Thanks for that, do you know if i did the Certs here could i do the practical work in Ireland?

Better living everyone

Thanks for that, do you know if i did the Certs here could i do the practical work in Ireland?

I'm not sure but considering how difficult it is to get a fully completed apprenticeship that's been done in Ireland recognised in Australia I doubt they would be.

• Advertisement
Advertisement