Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A nice whiskey for the old man?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭jh79

On a budget of 120 euro i'd get 3 bottles of different styles, maybe Green Spot (50 in OBriens), Jameson Caskmates (25 in tesco) and Woodford Reserve Bourbon (40 ish generally). If bourbon isn't his thing, Powers Three Swallows is around the same price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

jh79 wrote: »
    On a budget of 120 euro i'd get 3 bottles of different styles, maybe Green Spot (50 in OBriens), Jameson Caskmates (25 in tesco) and Woodford Reserve Bourbon (40 ish generally). If bourbon isn't his thing, Powers Three Swallows is around the same price.

Who is this recommendation for?

tuxy wrote: »

Sorry , only seen that he already got the present after i posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Hi all, can we get the thread back on topic please, as per the OP request

Sorry , only just seen that he already got the present after i posted.

NP, I do like your selection though some very nice good value whiskeys listed.

• Advertisement

oblivious wrote: »
    Hi all, can we get the thread back on topic please, as per the OP request

Thread is over, he has the whisky purchased.

Any recommemdations for a 60 euro ish bottle of Irish Whiskey other than Red Breast and Green Spot? Looking to try something new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Get a regular bottle, but tell him you'll share a glass with him as many nights of the week that you can. The time together is more valuable than the liquid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Any recommemdations for a 60 euro ish bottle of Irish Whiskey other than Red Breast and Green Spot? Looking to try something new.

Probably a bit over budget but I really like Tyrconnel maderia cask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ozmo

I for one appreciate all the recommendations on this thread- and am following suggestions...

Never into Whiskey before - and only since my Tour of Bushmills have I got an interest in it seeing how much effort they put into it...
    Not actually liking any of the Bushmills though - too caramel for me- (tried Original, Green, Red and Black Bush) - Jameson currently favourite - looking forward to trying Redbreast 15 next...

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 blind mans bluff

Knappogue 14, won Irish whiskey of the year 2 or 3 years ago, 55 down from 65 in O'briens at the moment..... definitely something new compared to RB or GS

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Yeah Redbreast for £31 is still the deal of the century.

Talisker 10YO for €30 in Tesco (and cheaper again when using spend & save vouchers) is pushing it!

ozmo wrote: »
    I for one appreciate all the recommendations on this thread- and am following suggestions...

Never into Whiskey before - and only since my Tour of Bushmills have I got an interest in it seeing how much effort they put into it...
    Not actually liking any of the Bushmills though - too caramel for me- (tried Original, Green, Red and Black Bush) - Jameson currently favourite - looking forward to trying Redbreast 15 next...

Have you tried the Busmills 10YO single malt? A very different beast to the other regular varieties and currently only €30 in Tesco until Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That is the Green mentioned I'd guess unless they have a second green label

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I really like the Connemara Peated Single malt , well under budget and very unusual for an Irish Whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭antietam1

Wailin wrote: »
    Midleton very rare is €180 so well outside his budget of €100-120. It's also not worth the extra over Redbreast 15.
    15/16 year old is Midleton often €135 to 150 in Dawson st, I find the mid is like a brandy or something and would prefer the Redbreast.

Yeah Redbreast for £31 is still the deal of the century.

Couldnt find this on their webpage - not going risk journey up to find it not in stock...
    sainsburys.co.uk whiskey search

But i found it and ordered one from Amazon.co.uk Prime for 35 pounds (38 Euros + parcel motel)...

63 Euros in Tescos

IDShot_225x225.jpg

“Roll it back”

Couldnt find this on their webpage - not going risk journey up to find it not in stock...
    sainsburys.co.uk whiskey search

But i found it and ordered one from Amazon.co.uk Prime for 35 pounds (38 Euros + parcel motel)...

You won't risk a potentially wasted journey north but you'll risk it getting seized by customs..?? :confused:

Quackster wrote: »
    You won't risk a potentially wasted journey north but you'll risk it getting seized by customs..?? :confused:

Is there a difference legally driving it from Newry yourself or having it driven by someone else by Van from Antrim?

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is there a difference legally driving it from Newry yourself or having it driven by someone else by Van from Antrim?

Yes. The former has personal import allowances, the latter does not. Personal imports have to be with you.

Parcel Motel also don't allow alcohol so they could simply refuse the package.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Parcel Motel also don't allow alcohol so they could simply refuse the package.

Thanks - didn't know that - either way - its Amazon Prime (not an Amazon third party seller) so they will get their stuff sent back and will issue a refund if it fails to deliver.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Having a dram of redbreast 12 year cask strength now and it's glorious. Same basic notes and taste of the standard 12 year but ramped up a few notches.

If someone can't differentiate between a jameson grain blend and a 12 year old single pot still then I don't think they should be drinking whiskey.

What an arsey elitist statement.

I'm very open to learning more about whiskey, but if I were to listen to your advice, I'd stop. And frankly, almost nobody would get past their first taste of whiskey and the whole notion would die off.

Good job welcoming a newbie into the fold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Wailin

This thread still going? :D

Ah look, apologies. It was a bit of a dick comment, your right. When i read your comment about not able to differentiate between the two, I read it as saying Red breast is not very good, as opposed to a novice trying whiskey.

I'd recommend you try some varieties of Jameson, eg. Black Barrel or Crested before spending money on the more expensive stuff. Once you get a taste for it and enjoy the different nuances, then try something different. Red Breast 12 is the benchmark mid range Irish whiskey, along with Green Spot. Try some bourbon or single malt scotch too.

My 42 euros bottle delivered of Redbreast arrived safely without issue- thank you ParcelMotel :)

“Roll it back”

Yes you can legally bring 1 litre of spirits with you when you return home from another EU country. There is no such exemptions for having it shipped.

But it worked out, nightline who run parcel motel are fairly incompetent.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Yes you can legally bring 1 litre of spirits with you when you return home from another EU country.
    Once it's for personal use, you can legally bring as much as you like. But as you say, you have to carry it yourself. In the EU the 1-litre rule only applies to duty-free zones, like the Canaries.

BeerNut wrote: »
    In the EU the 1-litre rule only applies to duty-free zones, like the Canaries.

Anywhere outside the EU VAT area (which the Canaries are as you say) and which the UK will be in three months in the event of a no-deal Brexit! :eek:

BeerNut wrote: »
    Once it's for personal use,...., you have to carry it yourself.

If you want to get all technical about it... it was for a christmas gift... so even if I went up and bought it in Belfast/Newry, doesnt that complicate things as its not reeeealy ever intended to be for my personal use..

Cannot really win... (*although theres some hope of sampling some when opened)

“Roll it back”

Gifting is counted as personal use, selling or trading it for something else would not be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

This thread still going? :D

Ah look, apologies. It was a bit of a dick comment, your right. When i read your comment about not able to differentiate between the two, I read it as saying Red breast is not very good, as opposed to a novice trying whiskey.

I'd recommend you try some varieties of Jameson, eg. Black Barrel or Crested before spending money on the more expensive stuff. Once you get a taste for it and enjoy the different nuances, then try something different. Red Breast 12 is the benchmark mid range Irish whiskey, along with Green Spot. Try some bourbon or single malt scotch too.

It take a big person to make a post like the above. I appreciate it.

I'll give those whiskies a try and see how they go. Maybe by Xmas next year I'll have the taste for Redbreast! :D

Advertisement