Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSD drive into laptop.

Options
  • 02-12-2018 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭

I want to install an SSD into my laptop and use the original HDD in it as well. I want to run windows off SSD and my programs off HDD.
    I know I can put one of the drives in the DVD bay but which one ?
    Also if I clone windows to the SSD do I have to delete windows from HDD?
    Will my programs run correctly from HDD when windows is on SSD?
    Confident I can do it no problem but want to make sure I have relevant info before I start.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

HDD

You can do so, yes.

If the path is for Program Files then I don't think so. I believe you'd have to reinstall applications afresh.

I had performed this with my laptop but I can't recall the procedure in which I did it. I know Windows was on the SSD but I had the My pictures, Music etc added to the HDD so when they were filled up I didn't have to worry about space with the SSD. Primarily used the SSD for Windows and a few apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Str4ngeBr3w

I want to install an SSD into my laptop and use the original HDD in it as well. I want to run windows off SSD and my programs off HDD.
    Confident I can do it no problem but want to make sure I have relevant info before I start.

Roughly three times quicker in terms of performance the SSD is compared to a HDD, so it's well worth doing..

You'll probably need one of these if you want to keep your original hard drive. It's basically a SSD caddy that fits where your DVD drive used to live.

I normally use this freely available program to set things up:

MACRIUM Reflect (for cloning)

Of course you'll need to setup the BIOS so that your new SSD will boot before your old HDD but that shouldn't be much of a problem.

Once your happy you can format your old hard drive and then use it as additional storage.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the SSD's DVD caddy, I'd just swap out the HDD for the SSD and get an external caddy to put the HDD into and then USB it into the laptop when you need it. Something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Roughly three times quicker in terms of performance the SSD is compared to a HDD, so it's well worth doing..

You'll probably need one of these if you want to keep your original hard drive. It's basically a SSD caddy that fits where your DVD drive used to live.

I normally use this freely available program to set things up:

MACRIUM Reflect (for cloning)

Of course you'll need to setup the BIOS so that your new SSD will boot before your old HDD but that shouldn't be much of a problem.

Once your happy you can format your old hard drive and then use it as additional storage.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the SSD's DVD caddy, I'd just swap out the HDD for the SSD and get an external caddy to put the HDD into and then USB it into the laptop when you need it. Something like this.
    Thanks for reply. If I go down the road of 2 hard drives could i have win 10 on one and win 8 on the other and select which one to boot from in the bios.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

This laptop has an SSD as the main drive and the HDD is in the disc slot. They both run off SATA so it's simple to do the physical act of plugging them in. I used the trim from the disc tray on the caddy and you wouldn't know the difference from outside the laptop, apart from the eject doesn't work.

I did a fresh install of Windows, as I would recommend to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Thanks for reply. If I go down the road of 2 hard drives could i have win 10 on one and win 8 on the other and select which one to boot from in the bios.

Yes, you could dual boot.

But Win 7 and 10 are different enough, why would you do it with 8 and 10? Would you switch between them much?

• Advertisement

Wheety wrote: »
    Yes, you could dual boot.

But Win 7 and 10 are different enough, why would you do it with 8 and 10? Would you switch between them much?

I have 8 at the moment and all my accounts software is compatible. Was going to try 10 to see if software would work with it.

I have done this and the ssd drive has given the laptop an amazing increase in performance. I put the ssd in where the old drive was and put the old drive in the caddy. the only problem is now when I boot it boots to the old drive , if I want to boot to ssd I have to press f9 and select the second of 2 boot managers listed. can anyone give me advice. I want the ssd to boot automatically and if I want to boot from old drive I don't mind having to go through the f9 process. I cant find find options in the bios only to select boot manager .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I have done this and the ssd drive has given the laptop an amazing increase in performance. I put the ssd in where the old drive was and put the old drive in the caddy. the only problem is now when I boot it boots to the old drive , if I want to boot to ssd I have to press f9 and select the second of 2 boot managers listed. can anyone give me advice. I want the ssd to boot automatically and if I want to boot from old drive I don't mind having to go through the f9 process. I cant find find options in the bios only to select boot manager .

Depends on the laptop, you need to get into the bios and make a permanent change to first boot device. Might be f2 or delete on startup.

tuxy wrote: »
    Depends on the laptop, you need to get into the bios and make a permanent change to first boot device. Might be f2 or delete on startup.

I have got into bios but the first option i have on boot order is boot manager and after that all that's available is CD ROMs and USBs.

Are you sure there is no hard drive boot order hidden somewhere in the bios. It's not always in the same place as the general boot order option.

I do find laptop bios very inconstant and short on options. I'm only familiar with a few laptop brands so maybe someone else can help.

• Advertisement

Are you sure there is no hard drive boot order hidden somewhere in the bios. It's not always in the same place as the general boot order option.

I do find laptop bios very inconstant and short on options. I'm only familiar with a few laptop brands so maybe someone else can help.
    The only mention of hard drive is under legacy boot order which is disabled.

So no UEFI boot order?
    What made a model is the laptop?

So no UEFI boot order?
    What made a model is the laptop?

Sorry it's a HP pavilion 15. There is uefi boot option in bios and the first option is os boot manager. To boot to ssd i have to press f9 on power up and then the first option is os boot manager (which is the old drive) and the second option is also os boot manager (the SSD). I need to swap these around so 1st option is SSD. But i can't see anywhere to do it.

On my laptop I can just select the UEFI drive I want as default and press f10 to save.
    The only thing I can think of is backup everything on the old drive and format it. Then it can't get confused as there is only one boot drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Sorry it's a HP pavilion 15. There is uefi boot option in bios and the first option is os boot manager. To boot to ssd i have to press f9 on power up and then the first option is os boot manager (which is the old drive) and the second option is also os boot manager (the SSD). I need to swap these around so 1st option is SSD. But i can't see anywhere to do it.

Is it like the one on this forum:
    https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks-Archive-Read-Only/Need-to-change-OS-boot-order-on-HP-Pavilion-15-b135e-to-run/td-p/3726932

Try using the keyboard arrows or WASDA.

red_bairn wrote: »
    Sorry i should have explained better. F9 brings to select which boot option but f10 brings to the bios where boot manager is only listed once which must be the boot manager for old drive

Advertisement