Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EI staff stealing says boss

Options
  • 02-12-2018 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,890 ✭✭✭✭

€m's stolen from passengers and airline by AerLingus staff says their COO

fEa8EJ2.jpg?1
    0DDqgOq.jpg?1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

zell12 wrote: »
    €m's stolen from passengers and airline by AerLingus staff says their COO

fEa8EJ2.jpg?1
    0DDqgOq.jpg?1

Should have a little Google into Rutters past too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

To no-one's surprise, staff are fuming at Rutter's lumping together of all staff as thieves. I expect striped work gear, rock breaking hammers and leg irons to be issued shortly.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭kub

Great management practice there in improving staff morale.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

kub wrote: »
    Great management practice there in improving staff morale.

Serious question. How should they resolve the issues with theft ? I don’t particularly like the way they’ve done it but surely cctv and extra security checks are required ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Mike Rutter’s management “style” is more suited to Ryanair, his communication skills are woeful and his air of superiority is sickening. Some of the internal communications with him at the helm are painful to watch or read, it feels like a headteacher scolding his naughty students. I was pleased to see IAG were wise enough not to give him the CEO role after Kavanaghs departure.

With that being said, theft is unnaceptable and incredibly damaging to the business and brand. I worked in management for a large (non aviation) business that suffered terribly from theft, particularly involving staff so we had to implement CCTV in work and rest areas, carry out spot checks and start the tracking of goods within our business in order to cut losses and rebuild confidence in our customers. Staff weren’t happy but it worked.

I’m going to guess the real issue staff have is Mike Rutter’s approach to it, he’s probably been his usual heavy handed, clumsy and arrogant self.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Alicano

Mike Rutter’s management “style” is more suited to Ryanair, his communication skills are woeful and his air of superiority is sickening. Some of the internal communications with him at the helm are painful to watch or read, it feels like a headteacher scolding his naughty students. I was pleased to see IAG were wise enough not to give him the CEO role after Kavanaghs departure.

+1 His internal comms videos are cringe. He has zero people skills. Looks and sounds terrible. Gets the job done for the board though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

What a pi*s poor style of managnent. This does wonders good for the brand, company reputation and best of all floors company morale.

Label staff as thieves and expect any sort of willingness now to change work practices ? Did this guy catch his head on a door as of late?

If there are incidents of probable theft deal with the employees causing it, don’t label the majority of them as a thieves, I don’t see why hard working employees should be labelled in the same category. This company is demanding loyalty as of late, they are nothing short of a laughing stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

Surely if this problem is really into the millions of Euro, that’s indicative of a failure in management to address a problem that has been building for some time. How are shareholders and IAG supposed to respond when a CEO says millions have been stolen from the company on his watch?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

What I can’t fathom is why he/they went to the media with this! Absolutely nobody looks good here, it’s very poor for brand image and by no means will it solve the issue. Unbelievable really

• Registered Users Posts: 24,890 ✭✭✭✭zell12

It's on the front page of the most popular Sunday newspaper
    Seriously damaging - would you book a flight if airline admits your stuff may go missing?
    83TRtRE.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭kub

Needles73 wrote: »
    Serious question. How should they resolve the issues with theft ? I don’t particularly like the way they’ve done it but surely cctv and extra security checks are required ?

Sorry I may not have made my point well, I feel the COO has made a terrible error here.
    It would have been best just to implement extra security measures and perhaps a quite word to any union reps that may have had issues with it.

Now we have the entire staff of Aer Lingus being branded as thieves.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Locker10a wrote: »
    What I can’t fathom is why he/they went to the media with this! Absolutely nobody looks good here, it’s very poor for brand image and by no means will it solve the issue. Unbelievable really

He probably didn't go to the media himself, but just like the idiots running the snooty Ivy restaurant, he should certainly have known that it would leak to the press soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Catch them and sack them so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Catch them and sack them so.

And how do you propose catching them without security or CCTV?

As it happens, I think a cash reward for info leading to a conviction would work. A lot of the employees surely are aware who is doing the robbing and would be only too happy to get rid of them.

Lots of cabin crew being asked by pax today about the article...shameful stuff

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1358172/Amex-chief-accused-of-bullying-has-vanished.html

pablo128 wrote: »
    And how do you propose catching them without security or CCTV?

As it happens, I think a cash reward for info leading to a conviction would work. A lot of the employees surely are aware who is doing the robbing and would be only too happy to get rid of them.

So there's no proof of any stealing by Aer Lingus staff?

Bussywussy wrote: »
    Lots of cabin crew being asked by pax today about the article...shameful stuff

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1358172/Amex-chief-accused-of-bullying-has-vanished.html

That article is from 2001?

So there's no proof of any stealing by Aer Lingus staff?

?? I don't get you.

?? I don't get you.

For the allegation to be made I assume he has proof.

Yeah there's millions worth of stock and passengers belongings going missing. To get actual proof, he needs the person/persons to be caught in the act. That means extra security guards, extra CCTV, or my suggestion of a reward for accurate info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 PeteF

Think the whole point of installing CCTV is to get the proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Massive potential for drugs, arms and cash smuggling through the same network if this is going on.

Massive potential for drugs, arms and cash smuggling through the same network if this is going on.

Sure wasn't there a lad smuggling in foreigners on the sly. He only got nabbed a few months back.

That article is from 2001?

So

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

It wasn't that long ago that convictions were secured relating to the smuggling of illegal immigrants off the ramp by a number of Aer Lingus staff. It's been a while since I worked on the ramp (different company), but when I was there, there was an active trade in smuggling large quantities of illegal cigarettes that was eventually detected, and resulted in a number of people, including a ramp manager, losing their jobs.

The way it was done meant that most of the people who were working in the areas affected didn't realise what was going on until the activity was detected and made public.

It used to be the case that getting things off the ramp was very easy,. I am assuming that things have changed, but clearly, if there is not an issue now, there was, and while CCTV can help with reducing losses from luggage, preventing losses from things like catering/duty free carts will be a LOT more complex, as monitoring them will be a much more complex thing to do.

The way this alleged activity is being managed would appear to leave a lot to be desired, but that's nothing new for the airport, there is a long history of anything that involves the ramp and unions being done in a confrontational way, as unfortunately both management and unions have demonstrated on many occasions over a long period of time that they are not serious about holding meaningful discussions and negotiations unless disruptive action has been taken by one side or the other. There is almost certainly another agenda in the background, and we will just have to wait and see how that is eventually revealed.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I get the impression that this ‘leak’ to the media is a mgmt tactic to get staff all riled up.

My reading of it is that it is implying that large quantities of stock is unaccounted for or that some staff are going into checked in bags. That’s the only way I can see passenger property getting nicked. In any large organization there will be a certain amount of wastage. It’s the nature of the beast. I can remember when I was there (15 years ago now) that there were quite a number of wasteful practices and attitudes. But after multiple restructurings I assume the place is a lot more locked down.

But the tone of this seems to be very aggressive. The article states that this was from an internal memo to staff (which presumably has been given to the Indo by the COO) For the COO to do this is certainly damaging to the brand and internal relations between staff and mgmt. Perhaps he is a bit miffed that the CEO spot is going to an IAG appointee next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

There are several back stories here; some senior people are leaving anyway (Kavanagh, Rutter) so sticking the knife in is of no consequence to them. Others are moving sideways (willingly or not) to other parts of IAG, so a clearout is happening. A new fleet with a rebranded image is coming in; say goodbye to "green" Aer Lingus, as you know it. Allegedly, there will be big news in January about ground ops. This coincides with what Willie Walsh said in the past about integrating EI into IAG; five years to get it sorted and the five years is nearly up; EI is one of the best parts of IAG, profit wise and productivity wise, for it's size, in IAG despite Rutter's claims to the contrary. The cabin crew were fit to be tied today and the articles were the talk of the airline today. It's going to be sporty tomorrow.As a destruction of employee goodwill, today's articles will be used as examples in university courses on how not to behave with staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Tenger wrote: »
    or that some staff are going into checked in bags. That’s the only way I can see passenger property getting nicked.

It's a strange one. Airline staff don't touch bags once checked in at the desk, DAA do scanning and loading and handling so it can't be that. Bags checked at the door, how could anyone identify something worth stealing and steal it out in the open? The only thing I can think of that makes any sense is property left behind on the aircraft not being handed in. There's no real way to enforce accountability if it 'disappears' so I can imagine temptation getting the better of a few people. It's appalling to denigrate a large number of staff for the actions of what must be a tiny number, however.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's a strange one. Airline staff don't touch bags once checked in at the desk, DAA do scanning and loading and handling so it can't be that..

DAA do not offer handling services. EI are their own ground handlers for mainline flights - for now. Expectation of a change to Menzies has been around for ages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

L1011 wrote: »
    DAA do not offer handling services. EI are their own ground handlers for mainline flights - for now. Expectation of a change to Menzies has been around for ages.

Thanks for the correction. That must make that cohort of staff feel even more targeted though.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement