Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EI staff stealing says boss

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Bussywussy wrote: »
    There's a good few links if you bother to search where an internal company investigation also found him guilty of 8 counts of sexual discrimination and he did pay an undisclosed sum of money,that is guilty

If he's throwing mud at employees in newspapers I'm afraid he deserves whatever is dragged up that's already in the public domain

Any hope you'd link them please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

So what? If he was that bad how did he secure any job, never mind several including the highest level at our national carrier?

Any links to support your claims are welcome btw.

https://www.casemine.com/judgement/uk/5a8ff7e660d03e7f57eb2b31

Takes mili-seconds via google. Your arrogance is astounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

So what? If he was that bad how did he secure any job, never mind several including the highest level at our national carrier?

It's not that hard to Google ffs
    Aer Lingus is not the national carried btw

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Trump is a ****in reprobate and he got the potus.

Mike Rutter fits right in with aer lingus management.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

It ceased been the Irish National Carrier, the day it was privatised. It is a subsidiary of a multinational conglomerate, nothing more nothing less!
    I stopped having warm, fuzzy nationalistic feelings towards EI, the day FR could get me to London and back for way less than 3 weeks wages!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Im wondering about the figures being mentioned. The statement doesnt give an actual value or timeline. It mentions "above industry norms"...is there a publically available figure for wastage/pilferage in airlines? Or is it just all industries with stock control?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

A.L. is still the flag carrier though despite being smaller than Ryanair.

A330's are bigger than B737's however - I used Google for that.

If the management chose to appoint Rutter (who was a very fine motorcyclist btw) then that's fair enough in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

If the management chose to appoint Rutter (who was a very fine motorcyclist btw) then that's fair enough in my opinion.

Fair enough is right. But they open themselves up when this sort of thing swings around to claims that their COO has a poor personal history with employee relations. In this case it seems that an employment tribunal also brought to light an independently conducted investigation commissioned by AMEX that found 8 claims of sexual discrimination against him substantiated. Messy business a long time ago, of course; but when you work in a company with sometimes fraught employee relations it is fair to expect that such dirty laundry aired in public would be raised in future and you have to take those knocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Fair enough is right. But they open themselves up when this sort of thing swings around to claims that their COO has a poor personal history with employee relations. In this case it seems that an employment tribunal also brought to light an independently conducted investigation commissioned by AMEX that found 8 claims of sexual discrimination against him substantiated. Messy business a long time ago, of course; but when you work in a company with sometimes fraught employee relations it is fair to expect that such dirty laundry aired in public would be raised in future and you have to take those knocks.

FlyBe didn't seem to have a problem with him

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Yeah, but he didn’t do much for them did he ? I’ve no idea for the life of my what he’s doing at EI, why would they hire him? He’s nothing substantial to bring to the table no big success he can lay claim to. Unless he’s a buddy of one of the board members, that wouldn’t surprise me. Sooner he’s gone the better, they need a shake up of management badly

• Advertisement

Apart from the time he was senior exec and they came up with a plan to hire actors to pretend to be passengers to boost passengers numbers on a route out of Norwich.
    Plan was scrapped before put in action when a newspaper saw the advert and investigated the plan.
    They also offered free flight and had staff ready to travel to fill seats.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1583280/Flybe-asked-actors-to-fill-empty-flights.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,298 ✭✭✭markpb

Locker10a wrote: »
    Yeah, but he didn’t do much for them did he ? I’ve no idea for the life of my what he’s doing at EI, why would they hire him? He’s nothing substantial to bring to the table no big success he can lay claim to. Unless he’s a buddy of one of the board members, that wouldn’t surprise me. Sooner he’s gone the better, they need a shake up of management badly

To be fair, unless you're involved in the running of the company at senior level (and maybe you are), how do you know what he's contributing or why he was hired? It's quite clear AL staff have no love for him but it's a big company, most of them will never have any real interaction with him. The size of the company is also the reason why the rumour mill will replace any real information about him. Rather than admit to themselves that they don't know him, don't know what he said in the interview process and don't know what he does all day long, it's easier to believe that he got the job because he's friends with someone.

i left a tablet in the pocket of a seat a few months back

nobody could go check the seat for me two hours later

the cleaning/lost items company would find it. sit tight.

tablet went walkies.

somebody picked it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Wasn't there a whole ring busted a couple of years ago in Dublin airport??? The baggage handlers were pilfering.

I'll go look to see if I can get a link for it.

At the time I was doing a lot of travelling and I used to comment that Dublin airport took the longest time ever to get your bags out. Obv because (it seemed like everyone was involved) a proportion of staff were in the back rifling through the bags.

So there is a problem with robbing/stock loss in Aer Lingus? And they are taking steps to alleviate that?

Fine by me

Edit.
    Here's a link. I'll see if I can get more
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/thousands-of-air-travellers-could-sue-over-baggage-theft-26558480.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

amdublin wrote: »
    Wasn't there a whole ring busted a couple of years ago in Dublin airport??? The baggage handlers were pilfering.

Edit.
    Here's a link. I'll see if I can get more
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/thousands-of-air-travellers-could-sue-over-baggage-theft-26558480.html

That article refers to Servisair who don't handle Aer Lingus bags.
    With social media these days it's hard to imagine any kind of large scale thievery from checked bags is going on unreported. It would all be directly attributable to Aer Lingus if it was happening in Dublin. Surely Facebook and Twitter would be full of stories if "many millions" worth of passenger belongings were going astray.

Don't get me wrong, thieves should be caught and held responsible in any walk of life, but I just don't buy it that it's happening on such a large scale in a relatively small organisation.

tablet went walkies.

somebody picked it up.
    Was it the last flight of the day? As in after you disembarked the aircraft went to bed and was cleaned and catered for the next morning? Because if not, there’s every possibility the aircraft went out again within the hour to operate another flight and with it your iPad. It could have been picked up by another passenger, they may have kept it or handed it up but at that stage the aircraft may have been at an outstation so it could be anywhere

tablet went walkies.

somebody picked it up.

You can't blame Aer Lingus or Mike Rutter for that can you?

Another passenger could easily have picked it up.

p.s. How did you manage to leave a tablet behind you?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

That article refers to Servisair who don't handle Aer Lingus bags.
    With social media these days it's hard to imagine any kind of large scale thievery from checked bags is going on unreported. It would all be directly attributable to Aer Lingus if it was happening in Dublin. Surely Facebook and Twitter would be full of stories if "many millions" worth of passenger belongings were going astray.

Don't get me wrong, thieves should be caught and held responsible in any walk of life, but I just don't buy it that it's happening on such a large scale in a relatively small organisation.

Yep I said the baggage handlers not aer lingus.

My opinion is that people don't say it on social media because there are many touchpoints where it could be I.e. you let it off out of your sight at your departing airport

But there must be some complaints or an identification of stock loss that aer lingus have decided to tackle it

You can't blame Aer Lingus or Mike Rutter for that can you?

Another passenger could easily have picked it up.

p.s. How did you manage to leave a tablet behind you?

no idea if the flight was the last of the day

i do know i was in touch with aer lingus withon two hours and its "not possible" for them to get a member of crew to go check if an item is still there. The plane had hardly gone and landed again in the meantime.

imagine ringing a restaurant and them telling you that two hours after you left something there.

clearly theyre not responsible for my leaving it there

but also clearly its at best rotten customer service to set up a rigmarole that removes any possibility of them even trying to do the customer a favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

The plane had hardly gone and landed again in the meantime.

It's not only possible but highly likely. It would have been departing again within 45 minutes. More than enough time for it to be in Heathrow by the time you called in.

• Advertisement

no idea if the flight was the last of the day

i do know i was in touch with aer lingus withon two hours and its "not possible" for them to get a member of crew to go check if an item is still there. The plane had hardly gone and landed again in the meantime.

imagine ringing a restaurant and them telling you that two hours after you left something there.

clearly theyre not responsible for my leaving it there

but also clearly its at best rotten customer service to set up a rigmarole that removes any possibility of them even trying to do the customer a favour.

It’s completely different to a restaurant, it’s a plane that most likely flew off somewhere else directly after you got off.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

A.L. is still the flag carrier though despite being smaller than Ryanair.
    A330's are bigger than B737's however - I used Google for that.
    What a mind-boggling conclusion that is to come to!!

Earlier in post#85, Jack1985 makes very good points and the angry response of staff is understandable but I doubt any fair-minded person is going to be going around tarring all EI staff with the same brush. Everybody knows that every business has its bad boys. That's life and I have no doubt whatsoever that, worldwide, all baggage handling companies have a percentage of bandits in their ranks.

More worrying, though, what is beginning to emerge from all of the recent problems at EI, including these latest revelations, is somewhat similar to the image of a circus. The audience are drawn in by the promise and attraction of the happy event performed by smiling acts fronted by an ebullient ringmaster but, in reality, behind the scenes it's a big mishmash of discontent, mistrust and even mutual contempt.

The good news, though, is that, just like Ryanair's woes didn't stop (most) people from continuing to book with them because they love low fares, I doubt EI passengers will be all that bothered either other than, maybe, keeping their valuables a bit closer to hand - until it all blows over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Your thinking of a different mike rutter,

amdublin wrote: »
    But there must be some complaints or an identification of stock loss that aer lingus have decided to tackle it
    I would assume so as well. I would love to get deyails on the statistics, the term "millions" is a bit vague and dramatic

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brennus335

Qprmeath wrote: »
    Company issued apology and makes charity donation

€25,000 donation split between two charities and an apology to staff,..... but they still deny they were the source of the article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

pieta house and focus ireland-two very worthy causes

Advertisement