Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend a mini PC/NUC

• 02-12-2018 12:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,281 ✭✭✭

I've got a HP 260g1 from a Bargain Alerts thread for 130€ a few years ago that I've upgraded as time went on (more RAM and bigger SSD) and use it to watch movies / live stream on my TV. I'm looking for something similar for a Christmas gift but not seeing a lot of choice.

I'd like 4/8gb RAM, 120gb SSD and a processor / graphics that is good enough to watch Netflix and play old games.

Ideally something prebuilt and with Windows installed as it is a gift, but if there are no good deals out there then I'd take something bare bones and add OS, RAM and SSD myself.

Only looking to spend 150-200€ - any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭massy086

I've got a HP 260g1 from a Bargain Alerts thread for 130€ a few years ago that I've upgraded as time went on (more RAM and bigger SSD) and use it to watch movies / live stream on my TV. I'm looking for something similar for a Christmas gift but not seeing a lot of choice.

I'd like 4/8gb RAM, 120gb SSD and a processor / graphics that is good enough to watch Netflix and play old games.

Ideally something prebuilt and with Windows installed as it is a gift, but if there are no good deals out there then I'd take something bare bones and add OS, RAM and SSD myself.

Only looking to spend 150-200€ - any recommendations?

I've just come from a chrome box running libreelec.to a Nvidia shield.and have say I love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Is this for use as a HTPC by the receipient of the pressie?

If not then maybe you would get good advise here
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=842

Watching Netflix and the like does not need much processor power.
    I have an ARM box (€40) that can play most anything I throw at it .... even 4K with some limitations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

In the last 10 years I've gone from modded Xbox with XBMC, to a Boxee box, to a custom Intel Atom HTPC running XBMC, to an Arctic Mini Pc running Openelec then running OPENPHT (when I moved to Plex) to a Nvidia Shield in my living room. I'd recommend the Shield hands down over everything else. It's the complete package, is well supported through continuous updates. Is an official Android TV device and is certified for Netflix, Amazon Prime and YouTube all in 4k. Can be used as a Plex or Emby server. But most of all over all the other devices I've had it passes the missus and kids test with flying colours.

Advertisement